PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] nvidia GeForce 5500 Resolution Problem

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Hi,

So I had installed 9.10 on an older computer and everything worked perfectly . . . . except for my video drivers. No matter what I did I couldnt get a resolution over 800x600 8 bit. So after doing some research I came to the conclusion that it was my Intel Integrated Graphics chip.

So the advice I got from many people was to go ahead and get a nvidia video card because the driver works well with Linux. So I went ahead and got a nvidia GeForce 5500 video card. I installed the driver under Hardware Drivers . . . . and low and behold things got worse. Now I only get the choice of 640x480 or 320x240. What do I need to do? I really could use some help here.

Revolutionary101
January 13th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Have you tried to install the Graphics Driver?

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 02:08 AM
OK this may be a very simple minded response . . . . but thats what I thought I was doing when I activated the proprietary driver in "Hardware Drivers"

Is there something else, look for a linux driver for the actual video card?

Revolutionary101
January 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I would suggest going to the Nvidia website and downloading the official driver. The proprietary drivers in "Hardware Drivers" don't always work the best.

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM
OK, thanks for the direction. Ill report back with my progress.

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 02:32 AM
OK, so I downloaded the driver from nvidia's site and I cant seem to install it!
sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.22.pkg1.run

I dont have any idea what is going on here.

Revolutionary101
January 13th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Put the driver in your /home/username folder. Then in terminal type
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.22.pkg1.run
That should at least start the installation process.

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Nope, I get the same error
sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.22.pkg1.run

Ive even tried installing the driver using envy and I have the exact same problem (highest available resolution is 640x480). I cant believe I still cant figure this out. Im just about ready to try reinstalling Ubuntu or maybe trying a different version.

Revolutionary101
January 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Move the .run file onto your desktop and copy this into terminal.

cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.22.pkg1.run
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.22.pkg1.run
That should work.

terrapin893
January 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah I was starting to think it might be a permissions issue. But before I saw this I stumbled upon the resolution to the problem. First off I did a clean install of Ubuntu. I had installed it while using an integrated video chip and I had installed java . . . I didnt know if any of those things would cause problems or not so I just reloaded.

Then I stumbled upon a post, I think it was somewhere here, saying that things detect better if you disable X Server. So I gave it a shot

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then I logged into my desktop
Changed the directory to the directory with the driver file
Then I ran the driver and it installed
Launched X Server again

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
So this installed the driver, but then I got an error message that said the input was out of the range of my monitor. I have been using a HDTV with a VGA input as a monitor. Never struck me that it would cause an issue. So I hooked it up to an old CRT to test it. Worked perfectly.

I am even able to get the HDTV to work. If I boot the computer up with the CRT then switch to the HDTV the monitor in the NVIDIA settings stays with the CRT and I can change the resolution.

So now Im finally using Ubuntu for all its worth. Persistence pays off.

Revolutionary101
January 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Indeed it does. Glad I could help.