PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speakers stoped working in 9.10 on a dell studio xps 16,

ghosthand
January 13th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Strange thing is that the headphone jacks still work just fine. Used to be that unplugging the headphones would cause the sound to come out of the laptop speakers, but now sound never does. I'm wondering if the software that controls the routing of sound between the speakers and the headphone jacks is messed up? Any help here would be appreciated. I'm willing to bet that a fresh install of ubuntu would fix the problem, but I'm not willing to do that just yet.

fcrowder
January 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I would check to make sure that nothing is muted in the mixer. and also if that didn't work try loading a recovery kernal.. I'm new to linux but I have things mute by them selves and also sometimes using a diff. kernal helps answer some questions.

ghosthand
January 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
sorry, should have mentioned that I've checked all the sound applet settings and nothing obvious is out of whack. It seems like the sound applet changed a lot since 9.04 and for the most part everything works better. I used to have a lot of problems with pulseaudio under 9.04 but everything has been working great until this current problem. Seems like in the old sound applet I had a lot more options to tweak, now it seems like most of the power user options are hidden somewhere. Are there any other applets or control panels for 9.10 sound settings? I even ran the alsamixer command line utility. The speaker bar in the alsamixer is not muted and the volume is on full.

fcrowder
January 17th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I would probably try searching on yahoo for an answer I sometimes have better luck with the search I know there is a command for the command line to make a sound come out of the speakers to check if the card is working at all but I forgot what it is..

distobj
February 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Ah, somebody having the exact same problem as me! I've got an identical setup and my speakers just stopped working sometime during the last week, while headphones continue to work. No obvious misconfiguration issue AFAICT.