PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen goes black after beginning the install

YourSurrogateGod
January 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM
This is weird.

I burned a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 and decided to use it to build up my little server. All was well initially. The CD booted, the language selection came up (I selected English), then there was the option to Try, Install, boot from first hard-drive, etc. I chose install and figured I'd nuke the original drive since everything that I need is off there. The little Ubuntu logo came up (it was shining/pulsating) for about 5 minutes. This went on for some time (the DVD-ROM spinning the entire time furiously) and then...
nothing.

The screen went black and there was a message saying that there was no input to the monitor (as some monitors are prone to do if you unplug/loosen the cable.) I rebooted, burned new CDs, etc. To no avail!

I have an HP (quite reliable in the past.)
* 2.80 Ghz
* 1 gig RAM

Thoughts? Opinions? Possible fixes?

YourSurrogateGod
January 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I forgot to add:

I managed to install Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition on the same machine without a problem.

Also, I tried to boot the same DVD in my laptop and it worked fine (I did not install.) What could be causing this hang-up?

spcwingo
January 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Have you tried installing from the alternate? Here's a link to the download page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate