PDA

View Full Version : My Resume...

kevin11951
January 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I am applying to a couple of local electronic stores.

I am trying to find any spelling, grammar, or other mistakes in my resume... but a fresh set of eyes would definitely help a lot! ;)

Also, what do you think of it? What would you change?

I tried to block any and all sensitive info, if you find something I missed please tell me... :(

JackRock
January 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Spelling and grammar look good.

Suggestion: Don't just list what you did at each location/position. Try to show how you did each thing WELL.

Example:
"Managed 12 employees" = and?
"Managed 12 employees with no turnover in three years" = did WELL

howefield
January 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I am trying to find any spelling, grammar, or other mistakes in my resume...

I am not sure if office should be capitalised ? (Microsoft office suite) and is it "Setup" or Set up ?

Also, what do you think of it? What would you change?

Looks good, similar to above, I'd list the benefits as well as your achievements.

But be cautious ;) Asking a question like this in a forum where you could get a hundred replies might make you very busy. :)

Just put down what you think is right, the more you go over it, the more you will change. Be certain and be yourself.

And good luck.

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
looks good and pretty good advice from JR, but make sure to keep it at one page.

NoaHall
January 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Is that it?<friendly criticism> I wouldn't employ you, based on the length of it. Maybe resumes are different in America. In the UK, I'd expect a lot more detail.</friendly criticism>

cguy
January 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Make the O in Microsoft Office a CAPITAL O.

kevin11951
January 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
looks good and pretty good advice from JR, but make sure to keep it at one page.

Is that it?<friendly criticism> I wouldn't employ you, based on the length of it. Maybe resumes are different in America. In the UK, I'd expect a lot more detail.</friendly criticism>

Alright, I am confused ;)

pwnst*r
January 13th, 2010, 12:25 AM
You can put more detail if you can cram it in there, but trust me, in the States unless you have a very lengthy career and a ton of experience, you're best to keep it to one page.

NoaHall
January 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
You can put more detail if you can cram it in there, but trust me, in the States unless you have a very lengthy career and a ton of experience, you're best to keep it to one page.

Really? Here it's always best to write as much as possible.

pricetech
January 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM

The difference between the US and the UK. Most headhunters and such recommend a one page resume with references available. That's in the US, or more specifically, in Tennessee. It could even be different in different parts of the country.

mechro
January 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
You could add Educational Qualifications, Interests/Hobbies, Driving License, References/Referees.

Again, that's a UK perspective where two pages probably wouldn't be excessive.

AllRadioisDead
January 13th, 2010, 01:24 AM
In Canada we're taught to keep it 1 page.

ajy0852
January 13th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Yeah, capitalize Microsoft "Office" and "Setup" should be "set up".

The below is just my opinions, take it or leave it:
Education: Include your GPA if it's over, say, 3.2. Make it bold if it's over, say, 3.6. Also, if you've been involved in extracurricular groups such as sports & activities, include that (especially if you excelled or held a position of leadership - but I'd include it anyway if I were you... it says a lot about your personality)

Your layout has quite a bit of white space, so you have room to add more stuff if it's relevant. But it also looks really nice and professional in my opinion.

Keep it at one page.

Good luck!

mechro
January 13th, 2010, 01:50 AM
In Canada we're taught to keep it 1 page.

Can I emigrate?

In the UK we're now taught to extrapolate as much irrelevant bullshine as possible even when signing in triplicate the attendant's requisition form for paper with which to wipe one's ****!

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2010, 02:09 AM
In addition to previous comment...

You state that you have "3+ years of experience in customer relations", yet I only see 1 year of experience. You need to provide evidence for the 3+ year statement. Also, put the most current experience first. Especially since it is the most relevant to the job you are seeking.

cariboo
January 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Here in Canada, if it takes more than 20 seconds to read a resume, it is way to long. It seems we have very short attention spans here. :), either that or we're to busy to spend more time on it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Keep it short. They will interview you if you have the right trigger words in you resume. For the job you are seeking, I see one of the trigger words "sales" in your resume. Read their job posting or gain knowledge of the job position and company, then include trigger words in you resume. If they sell Windows then include Windows product names, if they sell Intel HW then include Intel HW product names. I have 30 years of experience, multiple degrees, and professional certifications; however, my resume is only 2 pages.

Don't write a generic resume. Customize it for each company and job position. Get the trigger words correct for each.

I read a lot of resumes. If I have a job position open, I will get 15 to 100 resumes to review. If I can not see something in the first brief scanning of the resume suggesting they may have the skills I need then it immediately goes to the bottom of the stack.

MasterNetra
January 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Here in Canada, if it takes more than 20 seconds to read a resume, it is way to long. It seems we have very short attention spans here. :), either that or we're to busy to spend more time on it.

Same here in the US apparently. lol no surprise really.

But yea at ITT-Tech I was taught to try to keep it to one page. Sense employers go through so many applications. Especially these days....or was it a page and a half... hmm I think the latter but meh.

Keep it short. They will interview you if you have the right trigger words in you resume. For the job you are seeking, I see one of the trigger words "sales" in your resume. Read their job posting or gain knowledge of the job position and company, then include trigger words in you resume. If they sell Windows then include Windows product names, if they sell Intel HW then include Intel HW product names. I have 30 years of experience, multiple degrees, and professional certifications; however, my resume is only 2 pages.

Don't write a generic resume. Customize it for each company and job position. Get the trigger words correct for each.

I read a lot of resumes. If I have a job position open, I will get 15 to 100 resumes to review. If I can not see something in the first brief scanning of the resume suggesting they may have the skills I need then it immediately goes to the bottom of the stack.

The Vice Chairman of the particular campus I was at ended up filling in for our portfolio class and warned us about that stuff ^.^

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2010, 03:21 AM
The Vice Chairman of the particular campus I was at ended up filling in for our portfolio class and warned us about that stuff ^.^

Another thing I forgot to mention to the OP is to avoid over qualification for the particular job position.

When I have a job opening for a Java programmer, and I get a generic resume with a lot of software lead/supervisor level qualifications, then those go to the bottom of the stack of resumes as well. If I am looking for a programmer, I don't need someone that may have been a programmer in the past; however, hasn't written code in years.

Dayofswords
January 13th, 2010, 03:26 AM
just wondering about this

Homeschooling,
June 2009 – Current
this is after highschool.... which would be what exactly? online college classes?

MasterNetra
January 13th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention to the OP is to avoid over qualification for the particular job position.

When I have a job opening for a Java programmer, and I get a generic resume with a lot of software lead/supervisor level qualifications, then those go to the bottom of the stack of resumes as well. If I am looking for a programmer, I don't need someone that may have been a programmer in the past; however, hasn't written code in years.

lol what if he had all that and his last job he was doing the level of programming you was looking for?

Dharmachakra
January 13th, 2010, 03:32 AM
just wondering about this

this is after highschool.... which would be what exactly? online college classes?

I believe that puts him in his "senior" year, so he may still be taking high school level classes.

You might want to eliminate those periods after your bullet points. None of those are truly full sentences. I don't know if anyone will actually care about that but that's one tip I was given when I first wrote mine.

But, if you go back and add some information like JackRock suggested, I would go with full sentences throughout. Whatever you do, keep it consistent.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2010, 03:32 AM
lol what if he had all that and his last job he was doing the level of programming you was looking for?

Then that experience needs to be the first job experience listed.

If the resume includes information that is not related to the job position then I know it is generic. I suspect that they are not interested in the position. I looks to me as though they are simply trying to find employment by sending a generic resume to anyone that is accepting them.

If someone takes the time to find out about the Company, and our products, it tells me something about the person, lol.

As I suggested to the OP, his most current experience has something to do with sales; therefore should be listed first.

virusiidx
January 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Yup, in the US, try to keep it to one page. If they are interested and want details, that will happen in the 1st, 2nd interview, etc...

GF works in an employment agency for the major Japanese companies here (Honda, Toyota, etc..) and they always tell their applicants to keep it on one page, unless it's really needed.

MasterNetra
January 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Then that experience needs to be the first job experience listed.

If the resume includes information that is not related to the job position then I know it is generic. I suspect that they are not interested in the position. I looks to me as though they are simply trying to find employment by sending a generic resume to anyone that is accepting them.

If someone takes the time to find out about the Company, and our products, it tells me something about the person, lol.

As I suggested to the OP, his most current experience has something to do with sales; therefore should be listed first.
Ever do any hiring for web design or web development positions?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ever do any hiring for web design or web development positions?

No, I haven't. That is not the type of work we do.

I am not looking to hire anyone right now. In this economy, I am struggling to find work for the people I already have. Being a manager, trying to find qualified people for jobs is fun. However, in bad times when having to make decisions about who has a job and who will not can really tears your heart out. So far, they all have jobs. I have some very dedicated and loyal people working for me. In bad times, the job of a manager can really s***.

betrunkenaffe
January 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I find it interesting that so many people say "Keep it to 1 page" in US/Can. I did that on old resume and couldn't provide any information that would determine I would be useful. After some assistance and a reworking, I have my current resume which shows my skills/abilities first and then jobs/schooling afterwards. It's kept concise but states what I am fully capable of with the background to prove it.

Original resume got only a few replies, new one got me a number of job offers within days (including present job which I was ignored with first resume).

I have never looked back. As far as I'm concerned, the whole 1 page thing is bs. It's how you present the information.

pwnst*r
January 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It's not BS, but whatever worked for you.

Grenage
January 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It's not at all BS. Resumēs/CVs are generally best kept 'short and sweet'. Employers don't want to be bored witless by superfluous information, that's what interviews are for.

RabbitWho
January 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Really? Here it's always best to write as much as possible.
Aye, hobbies, interests, other courses, lives saved,

My CV has been 3 pages long since I was 16, but as i've got more real qualifications I've taken out ones I was just pretending about like First Aid / CPR and yoga.

That they've read CV making tutorials online and stuck to them.

MasterNetra
January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Aye, hobbies, interests, other courses, lives saved,

My CV has been 3 pages long since I was 16, but as i've got more real qualifications I've taken out ones I was just pretending about like First Aid / CPR and yoga.

That they've read CV making tutorials online and stuck to them.

Never a good idea to make up qualifications you don't have. If they end up hiring you and later find that you lied, that 9/10 is a immediate dismissal. Additionally you may of applied for something specifically but if claim you can do something else and they also have need for that they may just take you up on that later if not try to hire you into that position instead.

betrunkenaffe
January 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
It's not at all BS. Resumēs/CVs are generally best kept 'short and sweet'. Employers don't want to be bored witless by superfluous information, that's what interviews are for.

Cover letters are short and sweet. That's what should get them looking at the resume.