PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: I'm about to do something stupid.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I'm going to resize my sda1 partition. I'm going to install 9.10 NBR as a dual with normal 9.10 on my laptop. Why you ask? Because I feel like it.
Can any one give me a decent partition size for NBR?

You see? This is what happens when you start computing with Windows. I start going:

"My Linux installs are perfect? There's nothing for me to fix? Sigh. Good grief, I am bored! Let me go screw up my laptop again so I can have something to do"

And that's after three years of being Windows free. Ubuntu: The Windows 12 Step Program

Puck7
January 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I totally feel you, I've messed up my laptop sooooo many times because I was bored.

Just for you I've booted my netbook to see how much space I've used since I installed UNR (May was the last date).

19G - That is 6 GB of movies, and some music documents and other stuff. So 10 GB is way enough for the cutie.

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
My laptop's internal is a mere 30 GB with 12 GB free. Can I get away with say, 6?

Puck7
January 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
You could, my /home/ folder is 15,1 GB out of the 19.

J V
January 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm going to resize my sda1 partition. I'm going to install 9.10 NBR as a dual with normal 9.10 on my laptop. Why you ask? Because I feel like it.

You see? This is what happens when you start computing with Windows. I start going:

"My Linux installs are perfect? There's nothing for me to fix? Sigh. Good grief, I am bored! Let me go screw up my laptop again so I can have something to do"

And that's after three years of being Windows free. Ubuntu: The Windows 12 Step ProgramI feel the same after only 6 months :(

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I feel the same after only 6 months :(

After three years I still catch myself saying: "Wait, you can do that? or "That's impossible in Windows." or my personal favorite "I'm getting really sick of fixing your Windows machine."

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I stand before you utterly defeated. Perhaps... well, no, not humbled. It worked. Everything went exactly the way it was supposed to! Damn it! Now I'm sitting here bored again.

Resized sda1 creating unallocated space
Formatted unallocated space into 5 GB ext4 partition
Poked around in NBR Live environment
Installed NBR to new partition
Rebooted into new OS, poked around
Rebooted into old OS, poked around

Everything works perfectly!!!
I didn't even get to fix the stupid GRUB menu.
The install process didn't even complain about not creating a swap it just found my old one and used that.

Wait! I need to mess with GRUB to get normal 9.10 at the top of the list! Yeah!!! You cannot defeat me rock solid Linux operating system! Boowaahhaaahaaahaaaaa!!! (Runs off on tippy toes in maniacal glee)

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Oh! The entire thing took just under an hour and 45 minutes. Resizing, installing, fooling around, etc.

I've set Windows to install and gone off to build a deck and it still wasn't done.

tom.swartz07
January 13th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I nominate this thread as my favorite of all time.

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I second that nomination for your favorite of all time.

pizza-is-good
January 13th, 2010, 03:34 AM
It's the beauty of linux, you can mess something up really bad, and then fix it.

I admit I like to have a smooth and bug free OS running, but my virtual box Ubuntu install is merely for playing around and messing things up just to fix them up again. Its so much fun...

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 03:48 AM
It's the beauty of linux, you can mess something up really bad, and then fix it.

I admit I like to have a smooth and bug free OS running, but my virtual box Ubuntu install is merely for playing around and messing things up just to fix them up again. Its so much fun...

What's the world coming to when you can't break something just to fix it?

That's normally what my wife's computer is for but I figured I'd break my laptop for a change. Maybe I'll go put Windows on hers next to her Ubuntu. That should be worth a few days of fun!

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
why don't you erase your mbr?

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1

then you can fix it ;)

tom.swartz07
January 13th, 2010, 04:31 AM

then you can fix it ;)

Or you could do a thread search for the fabled 'forbidden terminal commands'

unfortunately, most of them are related to just wiping your drive, but im sure there are some goodies there :D

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM

then you can fix it ;)

Congrats on 1000+ beans.:popcorn::popcorn: Does that mean we can have a millennium party. Watch out for Y1K bug. :D

It's too late now. I'm gonna go the Grub route. See if I can screw it up in a righteous fashion. Now, where's my salt.

Ahh! Speak of the Devil. Update wants to know if I want to keep my current version of grub.

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
how about LOTR marathon tomorrow nite? ;)

you could also try to resize the partition holding the /boot folder at the beginning of the partition.

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Or you could do a thread search for the fabled 'forbidden terminal commands'

unfortunately, most of them are related to just wiping your drive, but im sure there are some goodies there :D

I'm thinking of removing the hard drive while the computer is on.

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM
how about LOTR marathon tomorrow nite? ;)

you could also try to resize the partition holding the /boot folder at the beginning of the partition.

It did that already. When I resized sda1, it created 87 MB of unallocated at the beginning of the drive.

Your night and mine are like 6 hours apart, neither one of us would sleep for like 2 days. Cool sleep dep. LOTR.

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM
well, as the thread title says you really are about to do something stupid... :P

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
It did that already. When I resized sda1, it created 87 MB of unallocated at the beginning of the drive.
did grub not complain about that?

Your night and mine are like 6 hours apart, neither one of us would sleep for like 2 days. Cool sleep dep. LOTR.
one of my favorites ;)
worth to stay awake for that long :D

Matt_Johnson
January 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
haha, I've screwed up my laptop soo many times doing stuff like this; but i get a kick out of it :P

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 04:57 AM
well, as the thread title says you really are about to do something stupid... :P

Assuming it doesn't frag my hardware, I think that might provide hours and hours of joy.

What happened to the good ol' days of screwing things up by simply turning on Windows?

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Assuming it doesn't frag my hardware, I think that might provide hours and hours of joy.

What happened to the good ol' days of screwing things up by simply turning on Windows?
though turning on windows is quite destructive, it's not that likely to nuke the electronics. does your laptop have the hotswap capability? if it doesn't i wouldn't try it, don't think the manufacturer will provide any assistance after that... :P

Matt_Johnson
January 13th, 2010, 05:03 AM

If you pooch your hardware then you have more fun replacing computer components then repartition again!

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 05:09 AM
i'm about to swap my /boot partition, see if that comes up with anything interesting :)
i'll let you know ;)

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM
though turning on windows is quite destructive, it's not that likely to nuke the electronics. does your laptop have the hotswap capability? if it doesn't i wouldn't try it, don't think the manufacturer will provide any assistance after that... :P

My laptop is 5 or 6 years old. Hell, Toshiba told me to **** off about my crapped out DVD drive when I told them I put Linux on it.

That's 600. My not so secret plan for world domination is coming together nicely.

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
If you pooch your hardware then you have more fun replacing computer components then repartition again!

I'm going to put an ATi card in my wife's computer that I never got the driver working well on. Then put 9.10 NBR on the 80 GB NTFS drive. It already has 8.04 and 9.04 on a 20 GB ext3 and 9.10 on an ext4. Then I'm going to try RAIDing them all together.

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
i still don't get why manufacturers and retailers get so freaked out when you tell them you installed linux on one of their machines...

warfacegod
January 13th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Contracts with Microsoft.

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 05:32 AM
how much can microsoft be paying them???
knowing how much profit the company makes, it can never be that much...
but obviously they pay only a very small amount for the rights as oem's.

Leppie
January 13th, 2010, 06:09 AM
i'm about to swap my /boot partition, see if that comes up with anything interesting :)
i'll let you know ;)
that wasn't very interesting... too smooth... blah...

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Okay, I've had some time to sit with my 9.10 netbook install and things are starting to go badly. My netbook-launcher process is starting to argue with Compiz, hijacking my processor. Graphical artifacts. Pidgin is crashing. Somehow (I have no idea how) some of the settings and behaviors are leaching over to my other partition and into my normal 9.10 install. And myriad other instabilities too numerous to list. I'm getting twitches, glitches, and the damn thing needs stitches. 'Cause it's bleeding out. This is the computer equivalent of; explosive decompression of cardiac machinery.

So......in a nutshell......my nefarious plot has worked.

Of course it did......I'm a genius.

Bwaaahhooowaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa....gasp.. ..bwaahhaahhaahaha..ha!

baddog144
January 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Woah. If screwing up installs is nefarious, then I'm some sort of damn evil genius. :D

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Woah. If screwing up installs is nefarious, then I'm some sort of damn evil genius. :D
it's easier to mess up an install unintentionally than when trying intentionally.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
i still don't get why manufacturers and retailers get so freaked out when you tell them you installed linux on one of their machines...
I don't think it even goes as far as contracts, although that may well be a factor. I reckon it is just saving on support costs. If they only support one OS, then then people on the "help" line only have to pull up one set of "if you do this, then that, it will just work" instructions.

What I really can't understand is what a Yamaha product developement engineer once said to me. I had asked him why the programs for controlling their digital mixing desks and other digital audio devices only run on Windows, and why they don't make them for Linux. His answer: because windows is an open system....:confused:

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think I'm going to rip the guts out of my NBR. Invasive surgery, amputation, alien experimentation, .....you know, the usual.

But before I do, can someone explain to me the difference between apt-get and aptitude.

More importantly the difference between remove and purge.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't have thought I would have to suggest to you to look in a man page...:)

man apt-get

DESCRIPTION
apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may be
considered the user´s "back-end" to other tools using the APT library.
Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as dselect(8), aptitude(8),
synaptic(8), gnome-apt(1) and wajig(1).

remove
remove is identical to install except that packages are removed
instead of installed. Note the removing a package leaves its
configuration files in system. If a plus sign is appended to the
package name (with no intervening space), the identified package
will be installed instead of removed.

purge
purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and
purged (any configuration files are deleted too).

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks. That is in essence what I had assumed.

tuddy666
January 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM

As mentioned before, OEM contracts. Some warranties have pretty silly terms for what you can do, but they never outright state that you cannot change the installed operating system. I mean, if they did, then you wouldn't be able to reinstall windows when the inevitable happens and it breaks itself.

Edit- if a manufacturer forbids installing a non-windows operating system in their warranty, it's usually through a technicality. It's never outright stated, so you have to do a -lot- of reading between the lines.

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
As mentioned before, OEM contracts. Some warranties have pretty silly terms for what you can do, but they never outright state that you cannot change the installed operating system. I mean, if they did, then you wouldn't be able to reinstall windows when the inevitable happens and it breaks itself.

Try whispering the word Linux to Toshiba. Go ahead, I dare you.

tuddy666
January 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Try whispering the word Linux to Toshiba. Go ahead, I dare you.

oh, I know all too well. Thankfully, I don't own the Toshiba system in question. Admittedly, I look after my systems, so being unable to get a replacement because of the OS I run is the least of my concerns.

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
What I really can't understand is what a Yamaha product developement engineer once said to me. I had asked him why the programs for controlling their digital mixing desks and other digital audio devices only run on Windows, and why they don't make them for Linux. His answer: because windows is an open system....:confused:
maybe open in this case is equal to vulnerable? windows allows for lazy and "dirty" programming. this is why the system and it's services can be crashed so easily.

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
oh, I know all too well. Thankfully, I don't own the Toshiba system in question. Admittedly, I look after my systems, so being unable to get a replacement because of the OS I run is the least of my concerns.

The new Satellites M505's are not the only ones in question. I'm running a Satellite P25-s607. The Panasonic/Matsushita? UJ-811 DVD burners they shipped died by the hundreds. Toshiba didn't want to make good on it saying it was Panasonic's fault.

Eventually, Toshiba replaced the smoked ones and shipped the laptops with the Panasonic/Matsushita? UJ-811 which did the exact same thing! That brings us back around to Linux. Toshiba refused to my UJ-811B because I installed Ubuntu on it. Said it was "Linux that did it to my drive". I responded with "I am probably 1 in 50,000 people this has happened to that installed Linux. So, by your very same logic, you are implying that Windows is not responsible for the remaining 49,999 drives burning out. Therefor, the only possibility left is that this is a hardware issue. They hung up.

You know you've had a good day when a major worldwide corporation feels the need to hang up on you.

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Edit- if a manufacturer forbids installing a non-windows operating system in their warranty, it's usually through a technicality. It's never outright stated, so you have to do a -lot- of reading between the lines.
if it were only a technicality, they would have said something like "we don't provide assistance for the operating system". however installing another os isn't going to physically break the equipment. so why don't they want to provide hw warranty if another os has been installed?

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM
windows allows for lazy and "dirty" programming.

That would explain their network to midi driver. It is not my friend...;)

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
You know you've had a good day when a major worldwide corporation feels the need to habg up on you.
having worked for several multinationals i can tell you that support desks do not require a technical background. as a matter of fact, that's about at the bottom of the list if on their list. they think that technical skills can be acquired more easily than cs skills... this is why most of the corporation nowadays are outsourcing to call centers in India/Malaysia/Philippines, then decide that because of the language gap (this is not because i want to be racist or something. hell, i'm an ethnic minority) pull the service back to their home country.

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
having worked for several multinationals i can tell you that support desks do not require a technical background. as a matter of fact, that's about at the bottom of the list if on their list. they think that technical skills can be acquired more easily than cs skills... this is why most of the corporation nowadays are outsourcing to call centers in India/Malaysia/Philippines, then decide that because of the language gap (this is not because i want to be racist or something. hell, i'm an ethnic minority) pull the service back to their home country.

Being an ethnic minority doesn't auto-magically make you not a racist. (Not implying that you are:D:D:D:D)

There are many black folk for instance, in my country that are convinced that they can't be a racist based soley on the fact that they're black. Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, and Barak Obama all come to mind.

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Being an ethnic minority doesn't auto-magically make you not a racist. (Not implying that you are:D:D:D:D)

There are many black folk for instance, in my country that are convinced that they can't be a racist based soley on the fact that they're black. Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, and Barak Obama all come to mind.
black folk aren't really an ethnic minority... what percentage of the us population is black? and then what percentage is white?

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM
black folk aren't really an ethnic minority... what percentage of the us population is black? and then what percentage is white?

I'm not sure at the moment. I used blacks as an example. The concept can and should be applied to anyone or any group no matter how they choose to define themselves.

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM
maybe open in this case is equal to vulnerable? windows allows for lazy and "dirty" programming. this is why the system and it's services can be crashed so easily.

Perhaps he just meant that the computer case was open.

I know I've posted this somewhere before but we are talking about doing evil things to computers.

Any body wanting to have fun on a Windows XP machine (read BSOD) need only to uninstall Notepad. I've done this. Twice.

tuddy666
January 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
if it were only a technicality, they would have said something like "we don't provide assistance for the operating system". however installing another os isn't going to physically break the equipment. so why don't they want to provide hw warranty if another os has been installed?
That's what confuses me. Software isn't going to physically break hardware, but a lot of companies will refuse hardware support under warranty if you've changed the OS. Then again, other companies have considerably better service and will fix physical hardware faults under warranty, regardless of software.

But, as you say, tech support workers usually don't have the kind of technical knowledge to actually know this, and are probably just reading their answers from a script.

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure at the moment. I used blacks as an example. The concept can and should be applied to anyone or any group no matter how they choose to define themselves.
i have nothing against those peoples, it's merely an observation.
a lot of people mistake national pride for racism though...

also, the language gap is not necessarily related to the aforementioned countries.
i've spoken with a lot of people who claim to speak english very well, still they do not seem to understand irish people (the irish speak really fast).

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
But, as you say, tech support workers usually don't have the kind of technical knowledge to actually know this, and are probably just reading their answers from a script.
yes, exactly. because a "kind and helpful" person is more suitable than a someone with a technical background...

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
i've spoken with a lot of people who claim to speak english very well, still they do not seem to understand irish people (the irish speak really fast).

I have trouble with scotsmen myself. And I shared a flat with a bloke from Manchester for a while. Took me about 3 weeks to get my ears around his dialect.
On the other hand, a lot of people that I meet here in Germany think they can speak english well until they hear me speaking "normally"...;)

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
i have nothing against those peoples, it's merely an observation.
a lot of people mistake national pride for racism though...

also, the language gap is not necessarily related to the aforementioned countries.

I'm human first (actually divine but that isn't the point) an American next but mostly Irish (bit of French, Scottish, and English) and I don't speak very fast but I do drink fast. Actually my landlord is Irish (American) and he does speak very quickly. I just say "okay" to him because I can only catch maybe 1 in 20 words he says. I could be agreeing to let him slit my wife's throat and wouldn't know.

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
And I shared a flat with a bloke from Manchester for a while. Took me about 3 weeks to get my ears around his dialect.
Manchunian is still ok, try the scouser (Liverpool + Wirral area) accent...

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The English themselves don't think anybody speaks proper English, including the English.

It maybe slower but I've decided to speak exclusively in binary. 00010011101000101111000.

Now would someone please be kind enough to translate that for me because I hve no idea what I said.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
The English themselves don't think anybody speaks proper English, including the English.
actually, the only unadulterated english left in the world is Australian. I understand everyone there perfectly...:D

It maybe slower but I've decided to speak exclusively in binary. 00010011101000101111000.

Now would someone please be kind enough to translate that for me because I hve no idea what I said.

http://www.binarymath.info/decimal-conversion.php

I geuss that is like 42, but more...:D

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 05:44 PM
actually, the only unadulterated english left in the world is Australian. I understand everyone there perfectly...:D
you have a gift there mate. even though i speak more or less the same languages as my gf does, a lot of times i don't understand what she's talking about... #-o

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 05:50 PM

http://www.binarymath.info/decimal-conversion.php

I geuss that is like 42, but more...:D

Yeah, but what does it mean in plain English?

Zaphod would disagree after getting lost on the way to 42.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 05:51 PM
you have a gift there mate. even though i speak more or less the same languages as my gf does, a lot of times i don't understand what she's talking about... #-o

Well there is that. I am lucky there; with mine, one of us is always speaking a second language, so I have a good cop out.;)

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Nobody understands what women are talking about. Often they themselves don't. They aren't based on logic and reason. But I love them anyway.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but what does it mean in plain English?

Well, using the decimal via the phone keypad, I get "mid hit"...;)

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Anybody come up with something sinister and Mephistophelian for me to do to my NBR install?

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well, using the decimal via the phone keypad, I get "mid hit"...;)

I've decided to spend the rest of my life saying only "mid hit".

ibuclaw
January 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Moved to the Community Cafe, as this thread has long since drifted from an actual support question into just general chatter.

On the side note though - I sometimes get the same bored streak. But I tend to fill that boredom with crazier things, such as ArchLinux, BtrFS / (root) installations (which I have two currently setup for production use) and Full disk encryption installations, where the disk is decrypted using a keyfile on an SD card .

Fun fun fun in the Sun.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Moved to the Community Cafe, as this thread has long since drifted from an actual support question into just general chatter.

was kind of wondering how long that might take...;)

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM

On the side note though - I sometimes get the same bored streak. But I tend to fill that boredom with crazier things, such as ArchLinux, BtrFS / (root) installations (which I have two currently setup for production use) and Full disk encryption installations, where the disk is decrypted using a keyfile on an SD card .

Fun fun fun in the Sun.

I don't think it ever was a support question by even the loosest definition.

Do I get to keep my beans though?#-o:-k

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I don't think it ever was a support question by even the loosest definition.

Do I get to keep my beans though?#-o:-k
they will be transferred to me... :P

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
they will be transferred to me... :P

You're just concerned that I'm catching up. Have some :popcorn: for when you watch me fly past you.:twisted:

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
You're just concerned that I'm catching up. Have some :popcorn: for when you watch me fly past you.:twisted:
youi're not there yet...
you may be deity, but remember: leprechauns are magical... :P

Gorgoth
January 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM

THat is usually my exact line of reasoning for each new distro I try... "Hey, wonder how long it'll take me to mess something up significantly *this time*"

:D

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM
leprechauns are magical... :P

to be sure... And where do you keep your gold?

Leppie
January 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
ain't gonna tell ya... have to catch me first :P

CharmyBee
January 19th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I get bored and do dumb things with my old computers also, as I have Puppy Linux, Windows 95C and Windows 2000 SP3 booting from the same 1.9GB hard drive partition. Spare space is left at a grand total of 200mb. Why?

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 10:50 PM

Don't bother, those tiny freaks booby trapped the hell out of it. Nearly lost an arm and my left pinkie toe. Fortunately it went crying all the way home.

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM
If I were to do to a human being, what I am planning on doing to my 9.10 UNR install, I would be charged with crimes against humanity. Mothers would shield their infants ears and run screaming at the mere mention of my name. The elite class of killers such as Joseph Stalin and Jeffrey Dahmer would cower before me for I will have commit an atrocity so vile in its planning and foul in its execution that the very act would reverberate through Time and Space to eventually crumble the very Pillars of The Universe!

KNEEL! FEEBLE HUMANS! KNEEL BEFORE THE POWER THAT IS WARFACEGOD! I AM SUPREME!

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM
If I were to do to a human being, what I am planning on doing to my 9.10 UNR install, I would be charged with crimes against humanity. Mothers would shield their infants ears and run screaming at the mere mention of my name. The elite class of killers such as Joseph Stalin and Jeffrey Dahmer would cower before me for I will have commit an atrocity so vile in its planning and foul in its execution that the very act would reverberate through Time and Space to eventually crumble the very Pillars of The Universe!

KNEEL! FEEBLE HUMANS! KNEEL BEFORE THE POWER THAT IS WARFACEGOD! I AM SUPREME!

do I applaud now, or is it time for the pitchforks and flaming torches??

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM
do I applaud now, or is it time for the pitchforks and flaming torches??

Both. Now kneel.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I've thought of something: you could use the software centre to individually de-install and re-install all the major components of the system. And then clean up with the janitor...

warfacegod
January 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I've thought of something: you could use the software centre to individually de-install and re-install all the major components of the system. And then clean up with the janitor...

Now that I have Software Center working I used it to install Add/Remove and then used that to remove Computer Janitor.

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I removed something like 30 packages or so with Synaptic, including netbook-remix without any apparent effect. None, zip, zero, zilch, nil, and nothing. Ergh!!!

So I happened across a package called apparmor. Mark for complete removal and damn near the whole screen goes red! Well this looks promising. So I do it. (Of course.)

Halfway through the removal all sorts of warning windows start popping up begging me "Do You Really, Really Want to Do This? Yup. Do it.

Almost done and nothings happening. Getting nervous. Gonna be pissed if this was a false alarm. There goes my network. Nothing. Nothing. Still nothing. Was that something?......no still nothing. Ok this was point... BAM!!

I've got black screen and TEXT!!!!

So I poke around for a bit getting nowhere and think; "Well, I only have wireless so there's no point to trying to fix this!

reboot

You must be root (I think: "Get the hell outta here. Okay....")sudo reboot (This is stupid to have to do this.)

password (Oh, Good Grief!)

noinotgoingtotypemypasswordforyouhooliganstosteal

It goes down like Newton's nonexistent apple. Boots back up and GRUB2 isn't even showing the install anymore!

baddog144
January 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Oh, snap. Victory is yours!
I think. I haven't been following this thread too closely.

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Anybody think I can get this thread into Tips & Tutorials?

How To: Completely Frag Your System!

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Oh, snap. Victory is yours!
I think. I haven't been following this thread too closely.

Neither have I.

chillicampari
January 20th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Nobody understands what women are talking about. Often they themselves don't. They aren't based on logic and reason. But I love them anyway.

I know, right? It's just so darned cute when they talk, like they think they're people!

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I know, right? It's just so darned cute when they talk, like they think they're people!

That made coffee shoot out of my nose.

Women are people. They just don't make any sense to me.

epicoder
January 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Deleted by sh228

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I just installed Mythbuntu into my UNR partition and didn't let it format the partition. It left all of my folders and files intact. I am very surprised.

Now I'm going to try to put the UNR interface into it.

Leppie
January 20th, 2010, 05:42 PM
you could also try to downgrade from karmic to hardy, or something like that...

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Is downgrading possible?

warfacegod
January 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I just installed the nebook-launcher package. It's got all sorts of missing dependencies but it ran, barely. I've got the feeling this is going to turn into some kind of Frankenstein's Monster. Hail Linuxtein!

NCLI
January 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Is downgrading possible?

According to official sources and guides: No.
Practically: YES.
Will it completely destroy your system: Most likely.

Just change all mentions of "karmic" in "/etc/apt/sources.lst" to the codename of whatever you want to downgrade to :popcorn:

DrMelon
January 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Next, write a script that deletes every file with a randomly-chosen letter in it.

So once, you might run the script and it deletes files with 'z' in them. Not so bad, but all hell will break loose if the random generator hits 'u'... :D

warfacegod
January 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM
Well, I've removed netbook-launcher and Compiz (sorry, forgot to mention I installed it). I think I'm going to see if I can get Mythbuntu to communicate properly with my Television. Not a simple task with a Go5200 64 MB graphics card with S-video. The closest I got was in Ubuntu 9.10 with a very low res B/W picture that filled a square in the middle of my screen. My TV is a Zenith. I'll post the model # later when I can get to it.

Oh, and before you clowns decide to razz me for having a Zenith, remember that LG owns Zenith now and LG makes some of the best TVs available.

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
I got it working! I am invincible! Another of warfacegod's enemies lays dead at his feet! Bwaaahaahaahaahaaaa! Ahhmwaaahaaahaaa!

I didn't do this in Mythbuntu but in my normal 9.10 install. I'm not used to xfce yet so it'll be a bit harder there.

.01 I went into my nVidia X Server Settings.

.02 Lots of fiddling around.

.03 Went into X Server Display configuration, selected TV0, and clicked configure.

.04 Check Twinview and click OK. (Enabling Twinview must be done. I don't know why.)

.05 Click configure again and check Separate X Screen (Requires X restart) and clicked OK.

.06 Set resolution to 1024x768 and clicked Apply.

.07 Went through seizure of utter astonishment and shock that it worked.

The picture is barely passable, it doesn't quite fit the screen, a little bright, and it won't save the configuration when I reboot but at least it works.

This is all stuff I've done before (except the working part, that never happened) but the best I ever got was Twinview with half on my screen and half on the TV with the TV in black and white filling only a square in the middle. Here's the key:

I went to Edit Menus> hightlight nVidia X Server Settings> click properties> change Command from: /usr/bin/nvidia-settings to: gksu nvidia-settings

I found out immediately afterwards that you can get the same thing with:

gksudo nvidia-settings

but it won't stick. You'll need to do that every time you reboot.

I'll post again with improvements like getting it to remember the settings so that I won't have to reenable the TV after every reboot.

With that kids, I leave you now to watch Captain Kirk blow up the ship...again.

nerdy_kid
January 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
this is my favorite thread of all time :D

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Now I have to keep my standard of demented crap at it's apex. Since I consider dementia and insanity to have no limit, that's a very tall order. I'm going to look into computer repair with small, shaped charge explosives.

Tristam Green
January 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Oh, and before you clowns decide to razz me for having a Zenith, remember that LG owns Zenith now and LG makes some of the best TVs available.

It's a shame they can't make a phone worth a ****.

nerdy_kid
January 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Now I have to keep my standard of demented crap at it's apex. Since I consider dementia and insanity to have no limit, that's a very tall order. I'm going to look into computer repair with small, shaped charge explosives.

that would work, backup some very important data on an HD, paste an explosive to it then detonate it. Then get the data back :D

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
that would work, backup some very important data on an HD, paste an explosive to it then detonate it. Then get the data back :D

My interest is shaped charges. I don't want to recover the data, I want to blast it back into the laptop. With the proper shape and enough explosives, the binary code ought to fly through the air and land in my hard drive in the right order and exactly where it needs to be.

Forget Firewire or eSATA, this is the new data transfer technology. Bombs!

nerdy_kid
January 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
My interest is shaped charges. I don't want to recover the data, I want to blast it back into the laptop. With the proper shape and enough explosives, the binary code ought to fly through the air and land in my hard drive in the right order and exactly where it needs to be.

Forget Firewire or eSATA, this is the new data transfer technology. Bombs!

hmmm interesting idea :D The internet would become VERY messy though. Might drive web serving costs up a little too lol

73ckn797
January 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
This thread title led me to believe that I was going to encounter a red neck saying, "Hey, watch this". Then killing themselves over some dumb action when trying to show off. Shape charges would do this.

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
This thread title led me to believe that I was going to encounter a red neck saying, "Hey, watch this". Then killing themselves over some dumb action when trying to show off. Shape charges would do this.

Great! So what's your verdict? After reading this, do I come off as a dumb actioned Redneck?

Gee! I do hope so. Although, I suppose the technical term would be "Dumb actioned Yankee redneck.

Seriously, if you don't like what's going on with this thread, then complain to the mods and ask them to close and/or remove it. I very rarely apologize for offending people and I'm not about to start now, in this thread. I don't tread lightly for people. As far as I'm concerned, peoples sensibilities can kick wind.

Leppie
January 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
As far as I'm concerned, peoples sensibilities can kick wind.
do they have sensibilities???

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
do they have sensibilities???

They certainly don't have any sense, anyway!

Leppie
January 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
They certainly don't have any sense, anyway!
that's one thing we agree on then ;)

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
that's one thing we agree on then ;)

Only one?:smile:

Leppie
January 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Only one?:smile:
course not, but couldn't say that plain out in public... :P

73ckn797
January 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Great! So what's your verdict? After reading this, do I come off as a dumb actioned Redneck?

Gee! I do hope so. Although, I suppose the technical term would be "Dumb actioned Yankee redneck.

Seriously, if you don't like what's going on with this thread, then complain to the mods and ask them to close and/or remove it. I very rarely apologize for offending people and I'm not about to start now, in this thread. I don't tread lightly for people. As far as I'm concerned, peoples sensibilities can kick wind.

Can't you take a joke? Where do you see that I am complaining? Oh, I see. I must have forgotten to put a smiley face on the end of my comments. I must have offended your sensibilities. :D

Grifulkin
January 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM

And that's after three years of being Windows free. Ubuntu: The Windows 12 Step Program

Screwing up my laptop to fix it is a hobby of mine.

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Can't you take a joke? Where do you see that I am complaining? Oh, I see. I must have forgotten to put a smiley face on the end of my comments. I must have offended your sensibilities. :D

I can and have taken the joke. This entire thread is barely hovering above joke level. Unfortunately, sarcasm doesn't come through too well in print.

You still didn't answer the question though. Do I qualify for Redneckdom? (Yeah, I know it's not a word, Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud.)

73ckn797
January 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
I can and have taken the joke. This entire thread is barely hovering above joke level. Unfortunately, sarcasm doesn't come through too well in print.

You still didn't answer the question though. Do I qualify for Redneckdom? (Yeah, I know it's not a word, Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud.)

I do not know you to determine whether you would be the punchline of a Jeff Fozworthy "You might be a red neck if..." I was only playing off the thread title. I, however, might be considered a red neck because I have a trick-up puck. It is not a 4X4 and has no camo or gun rack.

There are no decals of a deer that can be confused with the profile of a pregnant woman (if you have seen one of those you know what I am saying). I don't own any guns or have a Dale Earnhardt tag on the front or a Confederate flag in the back window. I do live in the land of certifiable rednecks, however, so I do know one when I see one. I have not seen you so I cannot know for sure.(GRIN)!!

Redneckdom ... good word. That would be a good description for much of the south, away from the city that is. Urban rednecks drive newer pickup trucks and are in a class all their own.

warfacegod
January 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
I do not know you to determine whether you would be the punchline of a Jeff Fozworthy "You might be a red neck if..." I was only playing off the thread title. I, however, might be considered a red neck because I have a trick-up pup. It is not a 4X4 and has no camo or gun rack.

There are no decals of a deer that can be confused with the profile of a pregnant woman (if you have seen one of those you know what I am saying). I don't own any guns or have a Dale Earnhardt tag on the front or a Confederate flag in the back window. I do live in the land of certifiable rednecks, however, so I do know one when I see one. I have not seen you so I cannot know for sure.(GRIN)!!

Redneckdom ... good word. That would be a good description for much of the south, away from the city that is. Urban rednecks drive newer pickup trucks and are in a class all their own.

Do combat boots, a beer, and a Slayer t-shirt qualify?

Actually, now that I think about, if you've ever typed the word sudo, that automatically disqualifies you for Redneckdom. Curses!

Nice laptop,by the way. I'm running a Toshiba Satellite P25-s607 with 2 GB Crucial RAM it's a bit long in the tooth (Yeah! Redneck phrase.) but still very capable of out performing allot of today's hardware.

73ckn797
January 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Do combat boots, a beer, and a Slayer t-shirt qualify?

Actually, now that I think about, if you've ever typed the word sudo, that automatically disqualifies you for Redneckdom. Curses!

Nice laptop,by the way. I'm running a Toshiba Satellite P25-s607 with 2 GB Crucial RAM it's a bit long in the tooth (Yeah! Redneck phrase.) but still very capable of out performing allot of today's hardware.

The boots cannot be combat style but ACME or work boots. The beer would have to be Budweiser or PBR. The shirt would have to be a country singer. NAW, guess you ain't no redneck (my wording might qualify). I agree with sudo, most rednecks I know would think I am speaking or swearing at them in another language .

The Toshiba Laptop has been very reliable. It is over 3 years old and going strong. It has worked great with Ubuntu since 8.04

Leppie
January 22nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
The Toshiba Laptop has been very reliable. It is over 3 years old and going strong. It has worked great with Ubuntu since 8.04
did you tell toshiba that you've installed ubuntu on one of their machines?

73ckn797
January 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
did you tell toshiba that you've installed ubuntu on one of their machines?

UHH! was I sposed to?:D

I really could have cared less. I had the laptop for 8 months before I started using Ubuntu. It has held up very well. I use it daily as I travel around the area and it has taken its' share of bumps and knocks and keeps on ticking. The on-off button is loose but that is the only part starting to wear out that is obvious.

I thought the hard drive was failing last week. I dual boot with XP and the thing froze up while in Windows. Had to turn it off and after that Windows would not load. Ubuntu kept right on working. I wiped the drive using a live CD and partitioned it to reinstall Ubuntu and XP. I really cannot stand the Toshiba recovery disk. It puts so much other junk on the install that I spend several hours cleaning up the stuff. I try to keep a very light laptop as far as programs go. Windows is only using part of a 20GiB partition out of the 80GiB over-all size. I have only booted into Windows once this week to install the ext2fsd program.

Maybe I ought to get a #3 and #88 sticker to put on the laptop lid to show off my redneckdom? WOW, that word almost sounds like a lower part of the anatomy!!

warfacegod
January 23rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Leppie's right. If you say Linux to Toshiba, the Costomer Service Rep will shriek like a banshee on PCP and curse you for the vile, Devil worshiping minion of hell you are. ...Or you'll get the response I got in post #43.

73ckn797
January 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Leppie's right. If you say Linux to Toshiba, the Costomer Service Rep will shriek like a banshee on PCP and curse you for the vile, Devil worshiping minion of hell you are. ...Or you'll get the response I got in post #43.

A reaction out of fear or ignorance, likely both.

warfacegod
January 23rd, 2010, 03:38 AM
A reaction out of fear or ignorance, likely both.

Both, because I was able to think circles around them without even trying.

73ckn797
January 23rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
I have never had to deal with tech support for any of my electronics.

Being in the auto business for 34 years I tend to open the hood and figure things out. Most of my desktop computers were put together by me. I have only bought one boxed computer and that was a Laser 286 back in 1990. One of the first things I did was remove the cover and look around. One time I fried the LPT port on it. That was my first time to figure out that a LPT card would fix the problem. AHH I remember the ISA expansion slot!! 1 megabyte of ram cost $100.

Leppie
January 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
One time I fried the LPT port on it. That was my first time to figure out that a LPT card would fix the problem. AHH I remember the ISA expansion slot!! 1 megabyte of ram cost $100.
the first computer i fried was a ZX Spectrum... :P

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 12:15 AM
the first computer i fried was a ZX Spectrum... :P
My first computer was an Apple IIE that was given to me.The other person could not get it working. After several days and a couple of all nighters I got it working. I was hooked after that.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I've got a set of lenses that I salvaged out of an old Mitsubishi big screen projection TV (long story short, I have a fondness for taking things apart. That's how I discovered that removing notepad from XP will totally frag your install.) Anyway, I was thinking of putting them together and attaching a gigantic flashlight to it. I was thinking it might make a sort of focused light beam cannon.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I've got a set of lenses that I salvaged ... I was thinking of putting them together and attaching a gigantic flashlight to it. I was thinking it might make a sort of focused light beam cannon.

might make a good bat signal (dada dada dada dada batman!)

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
might make a good bat signal (dada dada dada dada batman!)

I was leaning more towards burning down my neighbor's tree.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I was leaning more towards burning down my neighbor's tree.

Let me know how that works out. I have 30 pine trees I'd like to take down.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 02:14 AM
What have you guys got against trees? I try and hug one every day...

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Tree hugger.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM
73ckn797 has given me an excellent idea for my next post.

chillicampari
January 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Hmm...(furrows brow in a concerned manner).

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hmm...(furrows brow in a concerned manner).

Considering the general theme of this thread, concern is a perfectly reasonable response.

s_ø
January 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM
IF you want t do something stupid to your system. Boot another system and chown / on the 'stupid' system to a user on the one you just booted.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
IF you want t do something stupid to your system. Boot another system and chown / on the 'stupid' system to a user on the one you just booted.

I tried that a while ago, nothing happened. Thanks though. This thread has gone from idiocy I'm doing to my second OS to idiocy in general. Although I am looking for ideas on what I can remove from UNR and have it still function.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Around these parts, if a tornado blows through and I am stuck outside, then that would be about the only time I would feel the need to hug a tree. I do not want to get blown away.:)

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
What in the world did I suggest this time? A new method of deforestation?

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
What in the world did I suggest this time? A new method of deforestation?

Patience Grasshopper.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Patience Grasshopper.

Yes, the rice paper is tearing right now.

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Let me know how that works out. I have 30 pine trees I'd like to take down.
sell them as xmas trees... ;)

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Christmas is a taboo word in the U.S., at least it is in the north, in Yankee Land. You'd have to sell them as "Happy Holidays" trees.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Christmas is a taboo word in the U.S., at least it is in the north, in Yankee Land. You'd have to sell them as "Happy Holidays" trees.
That's a new one for me. Why is that?

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
how about a "hanukkah" tree?

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
That's a new one for me. Why is that?

Not actually as "Happy Holidays" trees but the concept is sound. The Liberals in my country have gotten everyone so paranoid about political correctness and offending people that every single "Civil Service" employee that I've spoken to in the last five years, has been mandated by the government or their department policies to say "Happy Holidays" not "Merry Christmas"

Read "Civil Service" as: Congressman, Secretary, Aide, Police Officer, Firefighter, and any others that I can't recall at the moment.

It's gotten so bad here that I had a Bestbuy computer department floor guy refer to me as an "Other Operating System Choice User". I tried to convince him to kill himself so that he could be an "Other Life State Choice Preference Decider". He tried to throw me out until I told his Manager that I didn't want to be an "Other Store Option Engager" nor did I like the prospect of being an "Interiorily Challenged Consumer Person". He agreed with me emphatically, so I said good because I wasn't looking forward to becoming a "Brick Wielding Window Specialist" and left.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
sell them as xmas trees... ;)

I am talking about 60 foot tall pine trees, the ones with pine cones, sap and squirrel nests.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I am talking about 60 foot tall pine trees, the ones with pine cones, sap and squirrel nests.

Sell them to N.Y. city. They'll have a sixty year stock that way.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Ah, the beauties of Nature!

@ warfacegod

The Liberals in my country have gotten everyone so paranoid about political correctness and offending peoplenothing exceeds like excess eh? Sounds reminiscent of the "positive discrimination" phenomenum as practiced in Australia in the late 80's and early 90's.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Ah, the beauties of Nature!
Not when they fall on the house. Today that could happen since we have had so much rain and a severe thunder storm warning for the area today.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Not when they fall on the house.
More beauties of nature:
My brother used to live in a house with a big loquat tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat
over the carport. The fruit has 2 half inch big seeds in it. The possums would get up the tree and drop the seeds 20 feet onto the tin roof of the carport all night. Cute little fellas...

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
More beauties of nature:
My brother used to live in a house with a big loquat tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat
over the carport. The fruit has 2 half inch big seeds in it. The possums would get up the tree and drop the seeds 20 feet onto the tin roof of the carport all night. Cute little fellas...

Are they edible? The seeds, I mean, being a Redneck, I already know that you can eat possum.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Are they edible? The seeds, I mean...

Not really, but they are good for throwing at possums...;)

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Not really, but they are good for throwing at possums...;)

So that you can eat the possums?

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
So that you can eat the possums?

Kangaroo is better. More meat on them.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Are they edible? The seeds, I mean, being a Redneck, I already know that you can eat possum.

There are plenty of possums around here. There are also armadillo and we call them possum on the half shell. Both can be found along the road. If you are lucky one of them might be a fresh road kill, still warm. That is as long as the vultures and crows have not started feasting on them.

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM
i'd stick with the kangaroo, or maybe some gator...

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
There are plenty of possums around here. There are also armadillo and we call them possum on the half shell. Both can be found along the road. If you are lucky one of them might be a fresh road kill, still warm. That is as long as the vultures and crows have not started feasting on them.

Why not eat the vultures and crows too?

llawwehttam
January 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM

This described the object of my life lol.
Make a problem so I have something to fix to keep me from boredom.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM
i'd stick with the kangaroo, or maybe some gator...

Kammodo dragon anyone?

(I just searched ixquick for "kammodo" and it asked me if I meant "jammed")

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Why not eat the vultures and crows too?

They are harder to capture. I would need a shotgun but then would have to clean out all of the pellets.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM
They are harder to capture. I would need a shotgun but then would have to clean out all of the pellets.

Use a taser.

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Use a taser.
Can't get close enough, they fly off.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Can't get close enough, they fly off.

Use the kind that shoot out the wires.

warfacegod
January 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Dumb Redneck Computer Stunts

or

A List Of Things Not To Do To A Computer And Possibly Get Killed Doing Them
(Yankees Rednecks should pay attention too.)

.01 No matter how big your screen is, it will not double as a boogie board
.02 Sledding down an embankment on it, into your local pond is also not advised
.03 No matter how many laptops you strap to your arms, the lids will not act as airplane wing flaps
.04 Using your desktop case to make Moonshine in won't work and might give you lead poisoning if it did
.05 Your mother board cannot be used to replace a broken plow furrow blade
.06 Computer tipping isn't nearly as much fun as cow tipping which, frankly, isn't very fun
.07 Stitching thousands of salvaged processors onto your overalls will not make you invisible like the Predator
.08 Using Paint to make a smiley face for your desktop does not make your computer a person, it will not be able to learn to drive your Camarro
.09 I'm not even going to mention thermal grease, you know what you shouldn't do with it
.10 Reshaping computer cases into armor will not make you bullet proof
.11 Bungee jumping with USB and mouse cables duct taped together is 100% fatal
.12 Hanging a Windows machine in effigy on a Mac or Linux users lawn is crass and immoral
.13 Putting your old slant six engine on desktop computers in your front yard is tacky, use cinder blocks
.14 Bringing your laptop to a Lynard Skynard concert, for the band to sign, will get you lynched
.15 Attaching legs to your laptop and eating possum stew on it while browsing is not multitasking
.16 RAM chips are not meant for replacing missing teeth
.17 Catapulting computer parts at your neighbors livestock only will give him more ammunition for catapulting computer parts at yours
.18 Laptops bolted to the front of your truck will not work as a snowplow
.19 LCD screens strapped to your feet will not work as skis
.20 Using a computer case as the compression chamber for a potato cannon will always end in disaster

73ckn797
January 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Dumb Redneck Computer Stunts

or

A List Of Things Not To Do To A Computer And Possibly Get Killed Doing Them
(Yankees Rednecks should pay attention too.)

.01 No matter how big your screen is, it will not double as a boogie board
.02 Sledding down an embankment on it, into your local pond is also not advised
.03 No matter how many laptops you strap to your arms, the lids will not act as airplane wing flaps
.04 Using your desktop case to make Moonshine in won't work and might give you lead poisoning if it did
.05 Your mother board cannot be used to replace a broken plow furrow blade
.06 Computer tipping isn't nearly as much fun as cow tipping which, frankly, isn't very fun
.07 Stitching thousands of salvaged processors onto your overalls will not make you invisible like the Predator
.08 Using Paint to make a smiley face for your desktop does not make your computer a person, it will not be able to learn to drive your Camarro
.09 I'm not even going to mention thermal grease, you know what you shouldn't do with it
.10 Reshaping computer cases into armor will not make you bullet proof
.11 Bungee jumping with USB and mouse cables duct taped together is 100% fatal
.12 Hanging a Windows machine in effigy on a Mac or Linux users lawn is crass and immoral
.13 Putting your old slant six engine on desktop computers in your front yard is tacky, use cinder blocks
.14 Bringing your laptop to a Lynard Skynard concert, for the band to sign, will get you lynched
.15 Attaching legs to your laptop and eating possum stew on it while browsing is not multitasking
.16 RAM chips are not meant for replacing missing teeth
.17 Catapulting computer parts at your neighbors livestock only will give him more ammunition for catapulting computer parts at yours
.18 Laptops bolted to the front of your truck will not work as a snowplow
.19 LCD screens strapped to your feet will not work as skis
.20 Using a computer case as the compression chamber for a potato cannon will always end in disaster

HA! Too much to comment on here but very funny.

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 04:54 AM
So I managed to totally frag my system and I have no idea how, primarily because I wasn't trying to break it at the moment. And it happened to the install I wasn't trying to break. I got a grub prompt. I tried every command in step #15 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275 and got either "unknown command" or "file not found".

I think this may be related to what's going on in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1385774 but at the moment, I'm just not sure.

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ooops...
Have you run that boot info script on it? What does it tell you?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ooops...
Have you run that boot info script on it? What does it tell you?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

Unfortunately, I have no way of getting it to my laptop. My internal disc drive is fragged, my laptop won't boot from my external, I just erased my USB install disc and my wife broke the USB ports on her computer so I can't make another one.

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
having a good day then...

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
having a good day then...

I must grok further upon your words.

73ckn797
January 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I must grok further upon your words.

Grok?

Main Entry: grok Pronunciation: \ˈgräk\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): grokked; grok·king
Etymology: coined by Robert A. Heinlein †1988 American author
Date: 1961
: to understand profoundly and intuitively

Now it makes sense!

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Grok?

Main Entry: grok Pronunciation: \ˈgräk\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): grokked; grok·king
Etymology: coined by Robert A. Heinlein †1988 American author
Date: 1961
: to understand profoundly and intuitively

Now it makes sense!

A very shallow and superficial definition of the word as Heinlein envisioned it. Perhaps cherishing, embracing, loving, learning, encompassing, and studying should be adding to that definition. Yet, it still would be shallow and superficial just slightly less so.

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
73ckn797

Almost didn't recognize you with that newfangled hairdo.

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm going to borrow my neighbors' laptop so that I can use unetbootin to make a new LiveUSB.

I'm still gonna burn his tree down though.

Leppie
January 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
73ckn797

Almost didn't recognize you with that newfangled hairdo.
maybe he went by edward's...

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM
maybe he went by edward's...

I was thinking somewhere with a guy playing banjo on the front porch and no shoes on.

nothingspecial
January 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hey, Warface,

If you want to do some thing really stupid, have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387822).

I`ll race you to fix it.........say go!

warfacegod
January 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Hey, Warface,

If you want to do some thing really stupid, have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387822).

I`ll race you to fix it.........say go!

You win. My laptop stalled before even getting to the starting line.

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Haha, the easiest way to fix "that" is a reinstall.

But I have to big up the stupidness of it.

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Haha, the easiest way to fix "that" is a reinstall.

But I have to big up the stupidness of it.

Can't. See post #166.

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Huh, wives.

I bet she`s worth it though, just like mine.

Frustrating - yes.

But we forgive them.

And toasted hard drives, bah, We get new ones and copy our backups across.

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
From the Wikipedia

In Heinlein's view, grokking is the intermingling of intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the observed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Oh Grok!!!

I`m Grokked!!!!!

I have Grokked!

I`m Grokking up ?!?!

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
From the Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

Thank you for responding to this thread.

A response of such insight and understanding can only help a thread as serious as this ;)

Honestly, we value your insight and contribution.

Night, night :D

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Just when I thought all hope was lost for this thread, dignity is restored.

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I need to grok on ways to ruin it again. ....where's the nearest pool?....

73ckn797
January 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I was thinking somewhere with a guy playing banjo on the front porch and no shoes on.
You talking about me?

I do play occasionally with a guy who has a banjo. He also has several Stratocasters, an electric bass, several acoustics, a mandolin, a fiddle and an upright bass but I keep my shoes on.

73ckn797
January 26th, 2010, 03:02 AM
A very shallow and superficial definition of the word as Heinlein envisioned it. Perhaps cherishing, embracing, loving, learning, encompassing, and studying should be adding to that definition. Yet, it still would be shallow and superficial just slightly less so.

Ain't my definition.

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 03:27 AM
You talking about me?

I do play occasionally with a guy who has a banjo. He also has several Stratocasters, an electric bass, several acoustics, a mandolin, a fiddle and an upright bass but I keep my shoes on.

I have a Jackson King V.

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Oh Grok!!!

I`m Grokked!!!!!

I have Grokked!

I`m Grokking up ?!?!

Linux does not, however, assume you grok what you are doing.

Leppie
January 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Linux does not, however, assume you grok what you are doing.
what does linux assume you grok?

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 01:48 PM
what does linux assume you grok?

Linux groks that we grok nothing, including Linux.

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Have you grokked your laptop yet?

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Have you grokked your laptop yet?

Oh, I grokked it long since. I grok that I'm about to grok it out the damn window.

Actually, all will be well when I can get my hands on a machine with a working USB port. Leppie assisted me with GRUB Rescue, last evening, and we confirmed what I had suspected through my own work on it ealier. That GRUB grokked itself out of partial existence.

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Actually, all will be well when I can get my hands on a machine with a working USB port. Leppie assisted me with GRUB Rescue, last evening, and we confirmed what I had suspected through my own work on it ealier. That GRUB grokked itself out of partial existence.

That's good to hear. Any idea what happened, or is it one of those little mysteries that life presents us to keep us on our toes?

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
That's good to hear. Any idea what happened, or is it one of those little mysteries that life presents us to keep us on our toes?

Best guess? Ghost in the machine.

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Best guess? Ghost in the machine.

I hate it when that happens...

73ckn797
January 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Isn't grok also the sound of a frog with a sore throat?

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM

no, I think it is the sound when you step on one...

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Groak,

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Groak,

When frogs croak, they go groak.

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 10:55 PM
groak, groak

73ckn797
January 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
no, I think it is the sound when you step on one...
No that is more of a squish noise.

warfacegod
January 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Anybody know how to fix a broken USB port?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8729353#post8729353

Leppie
January 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Anybody know how to fix a broken USB port?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8729353#post8729353
take a war hammer and give it some good'ol bashin?

warfacegod
January 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
take a war hammer and give it some good'ol bashin?

Mjollnir's on vacation in Bermuda. It won't be back until spring. The day after I get my newlaptop.

Leppie
January 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Mjollnir's on vacation in Bermuda. It won't be back until spring. The day after I get my newlaptop.
you can never rely on anybody when you need them...

warfacegod
January 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
you can never rely on anybody when you need them...

You know the world has become too self-centered when even divine weapons don't want to help you out of a jam.

Leppie
January 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
You know the world has become too self-centered when even divine weapons don't want to help you out of a jam.
always better to never rely on anybody or anything...

audiomick
January 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
always better to never rely on anybody or anything...

except Murphy. He is always right.

Leppie
January 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
except Murphy. He is always right.
except when you rely on him to be right... otherwise his law wouldn't be universal...

warfacegod
January 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Murphy was a grunt.

Leppie
January 29th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Murphy was a grunt.
but a famous grunt...

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 01:31 AM
but a famous grunt...

Did Murphy use a 32 or 64 Bit? Did he even know?

Okay, I promise, last time!

Leppie
January 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Did Murphy use a 32 or 64 Bit? Did he even know?

Okay, I promise, last time!
i think he used a 1 bitter... :P

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
i think he used a 1 bitter... :P

So he was the guy that invented, what amounted to a pocket calculator, for the Apollo guys to fly to the Moon with.

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
So he was the guy that invented, what amounted to a pocket calculator, for the Apollo guys to fly to the Moon with.

You'd need a big pocket for one of those rockets...

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
You'd need a big pocket for one of those rockets...

Yeah, I stuck my neck out on that one. Seriously though, the computer on those rockets had the computing power of a modern pocket calculator. I think the NASA clowns are using Windows based computers in the stuff they launch now. If give a choice, I'll take the Saturn V computer any day.

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I stuck my neck out on that one. Seriously though, the computer on those rockets had the computing power of a modern pocket calculator. I think the NASA clowns are using Windows based computers in the stuff they launch now. If give a choice, I'll take the Saturn V computer any day.

I used a thing at Uni called a PDP 11/10
6 feet high, 19 inch rack. It had a row of 16 switches on the front, and an enter switch. You programmed it in machine code by setting the switches bit for bit and pressing enter, line for line. It took about 15 minutes to program a one cycle sine wave look up table. But it didn't crash...

I saw a memory card out of one that a mate had a few years later: A grid of wires with a little lump of ferro-magnetic stuff at each crossing. 19" square and 1k of memory.

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I used a thing at Uni called a PDP 11/10
6 feet high, 19 inch rack. It had a row of 16 switches on the front, and an enter switch. You programmed it in machine code by setting the switches bit for bit and pressing enter, line for line. It took about 15 minutes to program a one cycle sine wave look up table. But it didn't crash...

I saw a memory card out of one that a mate had a few years later: A grid of wires with a little lump of ferro-magnetic stuff at each crossing. 19" square and 1k of memory.

You watching Frankenstien again?

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
You watching Frankenstien again?

Waiting for that lightning strike. MWAAHAHAHAHAHA....

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Waiting for that lightning strike. MWAAHAHAHAHAHA....

That was an excellent evil scientist guffaw! I see your catching up in beans. You'll pass Leppie and me in no time.

(Now where's my sinister bean amplifying machine...?)

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 04:55 AM
i fixed my laptop!:P:P:P=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

audiomick
January 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
i fixed my laptop!:P:P:P=D>=D>=D>=D>=D

:popcorn:

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Good work now install ************* linux:lolflag::KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

nothingspecial
January 31st, 2010, 09:12 PM
So.............

.........Break it again

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 09:29 PM
So.............

.........Break it again

Why does no one believe me that I didn't do it!?

I'm trying to make a list of things to delete out of UNR to turn it into almost a minimal install.

nothingspecial
January 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM
Break your system once a week .... minimum.

If you don`t do that you`re not doing it properly.

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 09:37 PM
You could delete grub that might give you a very minimal install.:p

Leppie
January 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM
remove all apt apps...

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 09:43 PM
You could delete grub that might give you a very minimal install.:p

I just fix GRUB and you tell me to break it again.:tongue: Nope, not gonna happen!

I'll do you one better:

sudo apt-get purge mybrain0.00

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 09:51 PM
I did that last week I now sudo apt-get Install marbles0.01 :tongue:

lisati
January 31st, 2010, 09:55 PM
I did that last week I now sudo apt-get Install marbles0.01 :tongue:

I think I've lost mine:

Package marbles is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
lmarbles
E: Package marbles has no installation candidate

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
OK try sudo apt-get Install nuts0.2 ;)

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 10:24 PM
See! I knew it wouldn't take too long for us to fall back into the abyss of ... whatever this thread has become.

lisati
January 31st, 2010, 10:48 PM
OK try sudo apt-get Install nuts0.2 ;)
I could go somewhere with this one but choose not to!

See! I knew it wouldn't take too long for us to fall back into the abyss of ... whatever this thread has become.

On a slightly more serious note: there is a certain satisfaction in getting things working how you like.

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Oh go on you know you want to ;)

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
I could go somewhere with this one but choose not to!

On a slightly more serious note: there is a certain satisfaction in getting things working how you like.

Basically, I'm looking to tear the guts out of UNR and have it still work. GUI, Internet, etc.

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hi warface have you made your minimal list yet for UNR ..

Leppie
February 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
why don't you try removing upstart?

sudo apt-get purge upstart

audiomick
February 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM
why don't you try removing upstart?

sudo apt-get purge upstart

I hate upstarts. They should all be removed...

Leppie
February 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I hate upstarts. They should all be removed...
i actually quite like them, they're not so hard to configure.
at the moment the difficulty lies more in the fact that we've got a hybrid system.
hopefully they really do complete the whole upstart transition for the launch of lucid.

audiomick
February 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
i actually quite like them, they're not so hard to configure.
at the moment the difficulty lies more in the fact that we've got a hybrid system.
hopefully they really do complete the whole upstart transition for the launch of lucid.

sorry leppie, it was a (bad, i.e. the best sort) pun.;)

73ckn797
February 1st, 2010, 01:01 AM
i fixed my laptop!:P:P:P=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

What did you do to fix it? Drink a redneck beer and grok over it a while?

Kai69
February 1st, 2010, 01:23 AM
Hes broken it again hasnt he its gone very quiet :lolflag:

Leppie
February 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM
i think he got some bits and pieces from the scrapyards, then poured a beer over it and used 10,000 volts to re-animate it... ;)

Leppie
February 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM
most probably... lol

Kai69
February 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe hes making Frankinstein out of it , try using 20.000v see if that helps...;)

warfacegod
February 1st, 2010, 01:30 AM

When you bring it all down to basic facts, all beer is Redneck beer.

Actually I put my speakers in front of it a played, at full volume, Garth Brooks "Friends In Low Places".

warfacegod
February 1st, 2010, 01:32 AM

I didn't go anywhere. It just took me this long to read through all the comments you clowns posted since I lasted looked.

audiomick
February 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM
When you bring it all down to basic facts, all beer is Redneck beer.

Actually I put my speakers in front of it a played, at full volume, Garth Brooks "Friends In Low Places".

You evil evil man. How could you do that to a poor innocent computer?

Kai69
February 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM
Hes trying to kill it now cant you use that cd as a beer mat :p