PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Small Complaint regarding Ubuntu.

wizarddrummer
January 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Guys,
I am a computer pro and I am having a problem with the installation process. Other people who are less proficient with computers may be having the same problem and it's turning them off. (I used to be a UNIX guru in the early 80's; witnessed the birth of Linux and a lot of other s##t.)

My problem is that I have not used a "CD" type of media in more than 5 years. I burn everything to DVD. I have not had much need for CD based iso's.

I have Nero and several other burning packages.

My complaint is that other than the CD iso for Ubunto with the pretty download button I can not find any other download option. If I were the folks responsible for the website I would have some provision for a) linking to a DVD iso version or b) what to do if you want to install and you do not have a CD etc.

If a DVD iso exists can anyone please point me to it? The other option is a free burning utility that can map a CD iso it to a DVD correctly.

I downloaded the iso.

I have made a DVD image, but when I select the option to install it Ubunto comes back saying it can't' read it and wants to reboot.
Ubunto's Detect CD errors also fails.

Thanks,

wd

PS
Nero:
comes back with: "The entered block size does not correspond to the image length. The block size may be
wrong. Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem." (I don't know what to tell it to make it correct)

Free Easy Burner:
Creates the dvd, you can see the file structure but Ubunto can't boot.

howefield
January 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Guys

Only males in your world, is there ?

My complaint is that other than the CD iso for Ubunto with the pretty download button I can not find any other download option.

ubuntu.com and click on the "Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows", funnily enough.

If I were the folks responsible for the website I would have some provision for a) linking to a DVD iso version

Err... as above.

darkod
January 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
DVD images:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/release/

I personally use ImgBurn (it's free) for burning on windows. As far as I have noticed, it can burn cd images to dvd without any special setup needed. You just select the same option, Burn Image to Disc as with cd to cd.

wkulecz
January 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
You can't find a blank CD?

I've yet to see a DVD burner that can't burn a CD unless its defective (mine usually break the other way, can burn CDs but not DVDs :( )

--wally.

TBABill
January 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
+1 Darko. I have only used DVD-R media for the LiveCD boot. I ran out of blank CD's and decided to try my blank DVDs. The system doesn't care...works the same.

I highly suggest running md5sum to verify its result against the checksum for the iso you are downloading before you waste any media creating a LiveCD only to find out it contains errors.

automaton26
January 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Found it quite easily, but I haven't tried it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#dvd

I used ISORecorder x64 when I last used Windows to burn, but that was many many months ago.

wizarddrummer
January 12th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Only males in your world, is there ?

ubuntu.com and click on the "Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows", funnily enough.

Err... as above.

I am sorry that that my remark "guys" offended you.

"guys" is an expression that I have been using, in mixed company, probably for more than double the years you have been alive or very close to it.

It signifies both sexes and if that offended you I'm sorry. I still have not completely embraced every little nuance of this new hostile politically correct world we live in. Everyone has to take offense to something these days. I've been in many mixed settings where this term has been used not only by me (a man) but many of my lady (I shudder to say girlfriends any more) friends have used this term. I meant no offense.

And another thing while I am at it. I don't know who you are and frankly I don't care. You don't know a freaking thing about me.

Back when you were probably in grade school or diapers I was a manager, working in the R&D (think Bell Labs for another company) of the second largest Telecomm in the USA. A female temp came into our company as my secretary.

Years ago, I used to teach Computer Science (UNIX OS Internals, VAX/VMS OS Internals, C, Pascal, ADA, on and on and on.) I could see the girl was a quick study. She was having problems with a divorce and money. I felt bad for her. So I decided to try an experiment to see if indeed she was as bright as I surmised.

With no prior experience at all in any computer related discipline other than simple word processing, I began to teach her UNIX, and other things that related to one of the groups I managed. This group being System Administration. Within five weeks she was good enough to become part of the team in very limited way, but she progressed; and after six months I sent her for several company sponsored formal training seminars. Her name was Cammie. And one of HER favorite expressions (because she was so ******* excited about being on the team) was "Guys, guess what I learned today ..." and this occurred in a conference room with 15 people (men and women) sitting at a table. We'd all smile and let her strut her stuff!

I have always been a HUGE proponent of hiring and advancing women in the workplace!

Honestly I am so sick and tired of the "new" breed of women (and I have to assume you are one) that get ruffled at every tiny little discrepancy that comes their way. Get over yourself and don't be so quick to judge!!!

ubuntu.com and click on the "Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for
Windows", funnily enough.

I am at the http://www.ubuntu.com/ home page.

Actually YOU are in Err... This "alternate" options you refer to are NOT on the home page it is found only after you select the Download for the standard iso. I missed it ... I am really fracking sorry that that tiny little link didn't pop out at me!

wizarddrummer
January 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
You can't find a blank CD?

I've yet to see a DVD burner that can't burn a CD unless its defective (mine usually break the other way, can burn CDs but not DVDs :( )

--wally.

That's funny. Well actually LOL

I can't. You see I am not in the USA anymore. I have about 300 Blank DVD's and not one single freaking blank CD that I can copy to.

I live way south of the border and as you can guess, your local Best Buy is not around the corner and I have yet to meet anyone who has any blank CD's or have not seen any stores that carry them yet.

BELIEVE ME when I tell you ... I would give a Kings Ransom for a blank CD right now.

I have spent a lot more time on this (what I thought was going to be a simple project) just because of that fact.

wizarddrummer
January 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Found it quite easily, but I haven't tried it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#dvd

I used ISORecorder x64 when I last used Windows to burn, but that was many many months ago.

thanks ... as i mentioned in a previous follow up post i did find the page for this.

I appreciate the response.

wizarddrummer
January 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
DVD images:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/release/

I personally use ImgBurn (it's free) for burning on windows. As far as I have noticed, it can burn cd images to dvd without any special setup needed. You just select the same option, Burn Image to Disc as with cd to cd.

thanks for the reply...

But I did use that program and Ubunto could not do anything with it. In Explorer I can see the file structure but the Ubunto installer and Disk Checker has a problem. When the machine boots up it loads the Ubunto installer, I get to pick my language, but when I select the Install option it can't continue and wants to reboot.

howefield
January 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I am sorry that that my remark "guys" offended you.

You haven't (and quite honestly, couldn't). It was a serious question. But I seem to have hit a nerve. Calm yourself down.

If any offense has been taken here, let me assure you, it is all on your side.

...probably for more than double the years you have been alive or very close to it.

I very much doubt that.

...snip the rest of the anecdotes, inaccuracies and insult.

it is found only after you select the Download for the standard iso. I missed it ... I am really fracking sorry that that tiny little link didn't pop out at me!

So you did manage to get it, well done.