PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] only Ubuntu

taurusbill
January 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have ubuntu 9.10 installed by Wubi on my Dell Dimension 8250 along with Windows. Can I remove Windows from my computer alltogether and reinstall Ubuntu from a Ubuntu CD which I have on order. Thank you very much. William Boudreaux <snip>

Grenage
January 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, a fresh install is usually nice and easy. Simply put the CD in your drive and boot from it. The CD drive is usually the primary boot device, if not, you can change that in the BIOS.

By telling Ubuntu to use the whole disk it will overwrite anything you currently have, so be sure it's what you want and that you have backed up anything you want to keep.

Sef
January 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Yes, you can. I would back up any files that you have.

Run the Live CD for a bit to make sure that it is working ok. On occassion, they are bad. When installing, Ubuntu will overwrite Windows.

prshah
January 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have ubuntu 9.10 installed by Wubi along with Windows. Can I remove Windows from my computer alltogether and reinstall Ubuntu from a Ubuntu CD which I have on order.

Alternatively, you can transfer your existing Wubi installation to a dedicated partition; see Help to Move to Full Time (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=904182&highlight=lvpm)