PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I convert to RCA or scart?

james.wilde
January 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi:

We have an analog tv (no plans to buy digital) which I'm planning to connect to an old laptop so we can watch online tv. The tv has rca input ports for audio l/r and video, and also has scart of course. The laptop has both vga (not really relevant) and mini-dvi outputs plus, of course, audio line-out.

I have seen that I can get a mini-dvi to rca converter. The strange thing in this connection is that the converter has three rca plugs, which colour match audio l/r and video but I thought that dvi was purely video and not audio/video.

However, I have heard that rca inputs tend to give a poor quality picture - not that we're so choosy when it comes to tv, vcr quality is quite good enough - and I have seen that there is an rca to scart converter also. Would this be a better alternative or is it a case of the weakest link determining picture quality?

So basically I have three questions:

1. Does mini-dvi include audio?
2. Should I just buy the mini-dvi to rca converter or the rca to scart converter also?
3. Is there a direct mini-dvi to scart converter available that I haven't found yet?

One of the laptops that I could use runs Ubuntu 9-10. It's and old Dell that sits in a docking station. The other one is a MacBook Pro. I assume, however, that the mini-dvi output will be the same pinwise from either machine. Come to think of it, I also have an old tower model, also running Ubuntu 9-10 that has a mini-dvi output.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James

cascade9
January 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Being technical- RCA is an connector.

By 'RCA video', I think that you mean 'composite video'. Component video (with red, blue, green signals) can also use RCA connectors, but you dont have that. SCART has both component and composite video so just having a SCART port doesnt mean that the TV will be one or the other.

If your TV only supports composite video, it wont make much difference. If it actually does component video, then SCART is better

I dont know if you can buy a mini-DVI or VGA to SCART connector, I know you can build them yourself, but as far as I know that only works with 9xxx series ATI cards-

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

1. Does mini-dvi include audio?
2. Should I just buy the mini-dvi to rca converter or the rca to scart converter also?
3. Is there a direct mini-dvi to scart converter available that I haven't found yet?

1- As far as I know, Mini-DVI is video only. Mini Display Port (the next thing along) is capable of supporting audio but again, as far as I know it doesnt. Yet anyway.

2. It might be your only choice. I'd check your TV, if it supports component video then I would get mini-DVI to component video, then component video to SCART.

But from your 'I dont really care about quality' comment, maybe not..that might well be more expensive than the composite video version (if its the same cost, and your TV supports it, go component)

3- Not as far as I know.

Hope that helps ;)

james.wilde
January 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Cascade. Your reply was very helpful. As it happens I have spent the morning sorting out some shelves and happened to find the TV manual, so I'll check whether it's composite or component video.

But now I have the info I need to make an informed purchase, thanks to you.

//J

cascade9
January 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Glad it helped.

One correction on my last post though....I got so carried away with SCART that I totally missed really spelling out something.

You go mini-DVI-> Component-> SCART if supported. In not, just go Mini-DVI-> Composite.

I'm sure you got that anyway, but I thought I'd just put that out there ;)