PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] youtube can't play in Opera browser

hoboy
January 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I have just installed Opera browser, but youtube video can play.
I am getting the following error
you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player.
I am using Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 17:01:44 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

tommcd
January 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am getting the following error
you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player.
I am using Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 17:01:44 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Do you have the java plugin installed? Open a terminal and run:

aptitude search sun-java6
Look at he output. I "p" before the package means it is not installed. An "i" before the package means it is installed. Make sure you have sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-bin, and sun-java6-plugin installed. If you do no then install them:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Of course, make sure you have the flash plugin installed as well.

gradinaruvasile
January 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Ummm.. you need flashplayer, not java for youtube...

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

hoboy
January 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Ummm.. you need flashplayer, not java for youtube...

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

It is not working still after i have tried the suggestions.
great browser but hard to find flash player for youtube videos

Linuxforall
January 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Are you on x64 Ubuntu or x32?

pricetech
January 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
If I'm reading correctly, you have a 64 bit OS. The process is a little different. From my "notes to self":

Download the 64 bit Flash Player from Adobe Labs
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html

Unzip it and copy it to the following locations:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/opera/plugins
/home/username/.mozilla/plugins

NOTES:
You won't have an opera folder if you don't have Opera installed.
The word "username" refers to your username.
The .mozilla folder is hidden so you'll need to view hidden files to see it.

After that it should work.

Linuxforall
January 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
If you have installed the non free adobe plugins from the repository, make sure to mark complete uninstall before you do anything and also make sure nspluginwrapper is removed. Then just untar and copy libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozila/plugins and Opera picks it up from that folder.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
It seemed like one can not have bough Firefox and Opera installed on the same computer then make bough play youtube videos, when if any body has done it i will like to know how.

Sef
January 13th, 2010, 07:57 AM
It seemed like one can not have bough Firefox and Opera installed on the same computer then make bough play youtube videos, when if any body has done it i will like to know how.

Flash 64-bit works for me in both. I have 64-bit Ubuntu with Opera 10.10 and Firefox 3.5.7.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Flash 64-bit works for me in both. I have 64-bit Ubuntu with Opera 10.10 and Firefox 3.5.7.

Please tell me how you have install Flash 64-bit ?
and a link to the download ?

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I have alpha x64 Flash working fine on FF, Opera and Google Chrome here.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I have alpha x64 Flash working fine on FF, Opera and Google Chrome here.

How did you installed it specifically ?
then I will try that.
where is the link to the flash version you have intalled

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Make sure you have removed all previous flash including nsplugin wrapper. Then download flash alpha x64 and untar, then in terminal do a mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozila/plugins

Thats as simple as is.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Make sure you have removed all previous flash including nsplugin wrapper. Then download flash alpha x64 and untar, then in terminal do a mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozila/plugins

Thats as simple as is.

Ok tks I think my question do you know the console command to remove all the flash ?

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Go to synaptic and check all references to flash and mark then complete uninstall and also make sure nsplugin is marked as well.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Go to synaptic and check all references to flash and mark then complete uninstall and also make sure nsplugin is marked as well.

tks for your time I will do that.

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM
You are welcome, post back your success or failure.

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
You are welcome, post back your success or failure.
when I run this
/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux$ ./flashplayer-installer
errors
ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
Adobe Flash Player installer.

/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux$ sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozila/plugins
then errors
mv: cannot move `libflashplayer.so' to `/usr/lib/mozila/plugins': No such file or directory
but when I use Ctrl h I can see
where did you download your flash version ?

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
when I run this
/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux$ ./flashplayer-installer
errors
ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
Adobe Flash Player installer.

/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux$ sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozila/plugins
then errors
mv: cannot move `libflashplayer.so' to `/usr/lib/mozila/plugins': No such file or directory
but when I use Ctrl h I can see
where did you download your flash version ?

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.42.34.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

Sorry for typo, should be double l for mozilla mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

hoboy
January 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.42.34.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

Sorry for typo, should be double l for mozilla mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I don't know who you are and where you are in this world, but tks so much you safe my day.. it is working perfectly.

Linuxforall
January 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't know who you are and where you are in this world, but tks so much you safe my day.. it is working perfectly.

:) Glad it worked out for you, now enjoy the flash movies.