PDA

View Full Version : Any free (as in freedom) cell phones out there?

aaronchall
January 12th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I've been using my crappy Verizon phone to take pictures, and I want to get them onto my computer, but I can't find my sd card (little bugger is a needle in a hay stack) and I don't have a USB cable, so I've been trying to use bluetooth to do it, but Verizon has disabled the bluetooth capability to do that (those stinky good for nothing slimeballs.)

I'm sick of how they cripple the phones I use through them (MP3 among other things), and I was wondering if there are any solutions for people who want to buy their own unsubsidized phone, and be a free agent (that is, go with whatever carrier best fits their phone-style.)

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron

kevin11951
January 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
OpenMoko

gnomeuser
January 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Well, you could go with an Android phone perhaps root it to gain total control.

There's also the Nokia N900 which is very open as well.

collinp
January 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Probably the closest you can currently get would be to get a phone that runs Google Android.

underquark
January 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
You know, the best advice is buy a small camera. If picture quality is not a major issue then get a used phone that is easy to unlock or a smartphone. I have a Samsung U600 (unlocked with a bit of software free off Internet) and also a HTC Tytn II. I swap SIM cards between UK and Europe for best call rates. I get the files off the Tytn II using synce.

lawenlerk
January 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
My friend has a HTC Magic. It runs on android and its cheap (around 400-500usd i think). Most importantly, it made me drool.

underquark
January 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Most HTC phones make me drool. Most are also expensive when bought new and unlocked but the used ones can be very good value.

aaronchall
January 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
http://us.direct.openmoko.com/

hobo14
January 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Can't you just pay more for phones not linked to a carrier? (same way Google is selling the N1)

You can here with most phones (or all phones?), not sure if that's different in other countries...