PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Repositories on Debian

reduxtion
January 12th, 2010, 07:06 AM
This should be a quick question and I just want to be sure that what I'm assuming is right.

My assumption is that I can use Ubuntu repositories on a Debian system. My question is ... am I right? ... are there going to be any complications? There are a few select packages that I want that is in the Ubuntu repositories but not on Debian. I'd like to be able to get my hands on them with having to compile.

Much thanks for any help!

gsmanners
January 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM
In my opinion, you'd be better off compiling. You may actually get a few things to work, but the more dependencies a package has, the more likely you are to break your system with unsupported libraries and such.

I've tried using Debian and Ubuntu repositories at the same time, and it always has bad results.

kerry_s
January 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
My assumption is that I can use Ubuntu repositories on a Debian system. My question is ... am I right?

no, your wrong. there built totally different.

Hallvor
January 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
This should be a quick question and I just want to be sure that what I'm assuming is right.

My assumption is that I can use Ubuntu repositories on a Debian system. My question is ... am I right? ... are there going to be any complications? There are a few select packages that I want that is in the Ubuntu repositories but not on Debian. I'd like to be able to get my hands on them with having to compile.

Much thanks for any help!

Bad idea. I can`t rule out that it would work, but you will probably break your system. It is just like putting a part of a car built for Fiat in a Ford.

snowpine
January 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Don't do it. :)

reduxtion
January 13th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Points taken. Thanks everyone. :)