PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!

CoAlMi
January 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi everyone, i need some help and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they will be highly appreciated.

Here is my problem and im not sure if this has been covered but, anyhow i have managed to break my hard drive on my laptop. I had windows vista and since i broke my hard drive i figured what an opportunity to move of to linux. Well bought a new hard drive, im assuming an unformatted one and i figure that i'll need to format it some how. And i downloaded the live cd of ubuntu 9.10. So i thought i could install it straight to my laptop but it doesn't work. I get a bios error message stating "No bootable devices --strike F1" so on. I did a little research and i changed the boot order to the CD/DVD drive so that it would load up the CD and i still get the same message.

Im out of ideas and patience almost haha so anyone have any thoughts?

lindsay7
January 12th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Did you burn an iso image of the download? If not, that is what you need. It should start up when the bios is set to start from the cd. You need to have software that will burn an iso of Ubuntu. If you just burned the Ubuntu download file to a cd, it will not start up your computer.