PDA

View Full Version : Do you block google analytics like tracking services

siimo
January 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM
There is paranoia all over the web about how google knows too much about you if you use search + google accounts (gmail or whatever else) and it actually associates your searches with your google account.

From what little I understand google analytics is a service that hundreds of websites employ to track information about their users and in turn give to google since they host the service.

I came across a site that shows how to block google analytics using HOSTS file. http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_block_your_browser_from_sending_information _to_Google_Analytics

unknownPoster
January 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
We use Google Analytics quite extensively where I work, and it's not as malicious as some FOSS fanatics make it out to be.

siimo
January 12th, 2010, 06:04 AM
It is not FOSS only, Windows and Mac users don't like google tracking them either. Analytics may not be malicious but what is wrong is google is associating the tracked data from it with peoples' google accounts thereby knowing exactly who is browsing the site.

samh785
January 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
They want to be more and more effective with their ad services and this is a very good way to do it. I'm not saying that I support it, but I will say that it's a very ingenious method of getting the scoop on the demographics that browse a specific site. Thank you capitalism and your incessant need to sell me things that I didn't even know I needed.

handy
January 12th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I use the Firefox add-on Ghostery (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9609), to block around 230 (from memory) trackers, including google's.

Simple to install & use, & works a treat.

speedwell68
January 12th, 2010, 06:18 AM
You can block Google Analytics with this Firefox addon.

http://www.customizegoogle.com/

Impulser
January 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I don't mind Google taking my information as there nothing wrong with what their doing with it and it helping out them so why not.

So yeah I don't block them because it not hurting me.

judge jankum
January 12th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I use scroogle because it dosn't let google set a cookie.

Marvin666
January 12th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I have google completely blocked from my host file.

Psumi
January 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I block it as well as adsense, so there.

iponeverything
January 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I had had delayed page loads several times because it was trying to get to google analytics. Very annoying. I really could care less about google analytics collecting data, but when gets in my way, I do. My guess is that folks state side don't see this issue much because of google's distributed network, but in central Asia it is an issue.

handy
January 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I use scroogle because it dosn't let google set a cookie.

I also use Scroogle, & block all cookies except those I need, I also use Privoxy on a headless IPCop firewall/router/+ & still the trackers were getting through.

So, know that trackers like google analytics don't get stopped by blocking cookies.

Ghostery does stop them, or so it seems from my use of the add-on.

adeypoop
January 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
yeh i use the ghostery firefox addon too, nice seeing the trackers being blocked each tme i open a webpage including google tracking. I choose to opt out ;-) i also use an addon which deletes non-expiring flash 'cookies' called betterprivacy.

Far as google goes, their software is excellent but I do have privacy concerns about them though

handy
January 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I agree with you.

Google are primarily responsible for lifting the quality of our web experience.

They set the standard in search engine effectiveness, leaving all the competition to play a tough game of catch up; Google have gone on from strength to strength.

I too agree that the information in their database, (which is very likely the largest on the planet) is too vulnerable to being processed by highly sophisticated software to ends that are not for the benefit of the common good.

It doesn't have to be Google who do this, (beyond using it for strategically placing advertising) they may truly be innocent at this stage?

Even so, the immense potential power of that database just keeps on growing.

mobilediesel
January 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
There's only one sure-fire way to block anyone from tracking you online: stay offline.

handy
January 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
There's only one sure-fire way to block anyone from tracking you online: stay offline.

At this point I'm prepared to compromise a little... ;)

As far as privacy is concerned not quite as little as possible.

I don't use Tor anymore, & my country so far has not implemented regulations that will have me heading for an account with an international proxy service provider, which I know is still using the internet, which if the BIG corpies have their way will end up having DPI running on all data, with few exceptions.

The ACTA (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1376925) thread is more appropriate than here for what I'm talking about.

The Real Dave
January 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Id don't block it, but I like knowing it's there, so I use Ghostery in Firefox. I really don't mind Google knowing what I'm doing. For the most part, its used to make sites better for me, so I don't see it as a problem. Other, less known and suspicious trackers, I tend to block.

madnessjack
January 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I don't care.

(Not meaning to sound grumpy, more honest)

Although if a company could improve itself and help me out also, by using my demographic information, then I'm well up for it.

dmizer
January 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I had had delayed page loads several times because it was trying to get to google analytics. Very annoying. I really could care less about google analytics collecting data, but when gets in my way, I do. My guess is that folks state side don't see this issue much because of google's distributed network, but in central Asia it is an issue.

This is also the reason I block it. Pages frequently get stuck on loading analytics.

mkvnmtr
January 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I block all tracking. I use Ghostery that I learned about from a post of handy s. I also block all flash cookies.I go to the Adobe flash settings management page and disallow all flash cookies. I was suprised at what they do and there is no way to see them any other place than Adobes management page. I have several distros running in virtual boxes and I have to do it on each one but it works on all the browsers on that system. It looks like each installation of Adobe flash is trackable if you do not disable it.

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Be careful what you do. Do you remember that one day last year that Google Analytics was down, and we couldn't access these forums because of it? There are a surprising amount of web sites that use it.

madnessjack
January 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Be careful what you do. Do you remember that one day last year that Google Analytics was down, and we couldn't access these forums because of it? There are a surprising amount of web sites that use it.
Surely if you put the code after the HTML it shouldn't have any affect if it goes down?

Handssolow
January 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Currently I've had to stop using Ghostery after the Firefox 3.5.7 update.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1375930

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Someone needs to take Business 101.

NCLI
January 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I really don't care. Let them have the data, I'm confident that no human will ever read it, only machines.

handy
January 13th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Currently I've had to stop using Ghostery after the Firefox 3.5.7 update.

I use the same version of Firefox & Ghostery on Arch without problems; its a Ubuntu problem?

I really don't care. Let them have the data, I'm confident that no human will ever read it, only machines.

It is the potential (hopefully it is still only potential) of what machines can do with that data, using sophisticated software that is the worry for many of us.

The Google database gives them an hugely powerful resource to do a whole lot more than just place add's per user on sites.

Handssolow
January 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I use the same version of Firefox & Ghostery on Arch without problems; its a Ubuntu problem?

It is the potential (hopefully it is still only potential) of what machines can do with that data, using sophisticated software that is the worry for many of us.

The Google database gives them an hugely powerful resource to do a whole lot more than just place add's per user on sites.

There are many reports of Ghostery not working properly with Firefox 3.5.7 here someone with ******* having what appears to be the same problem-

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/547799

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1375930&page=3

FuturePilot
January 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I had to stop using Ghostery. It was causing a huge Firefox memory leak. I disabled it and the problem went away. :-|

handy
January 14th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm not experiencing that problem?

[Edit:] Yes I am.

handy
January 15th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I have been watching my memory usage fairly closely since you guys told me about the memory leak, & it's true, I'm experiencing the problem too.

Not having been rebooted over a period of a couple of days I've noticed the RAM usage just keep on slowly creeping up.

I expect that there will be a new version of Ghostery out before too much longer, well I hope so anyway.

I'm still using it, as long as I reboot every 48hrs or so I shouldn't notice any performance hit from low memory.

FuturePilot
January 15th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I have been watching my memory usage fairly closely since you guys told me about the memory leak, & it's true, I'm experiencing the problem too.

Not having been rebooted over a period of a couple of days I've noticed the RAM usage just keep on slowly creeping up.

I expect that there will be a new version of Ghostery out before too much longer, well I hope so anyway.

I'm still using it, as long as I reboot every 48hrs or so I shouldn't notice any performance hit from low memory.

Well at least it isn't just me then. :) Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Marisa H
January 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
At this point I'm prepared to compromise a little... ;)

As far as privacy is concerned not quite as little as possible.

I don't use Tor anymore, & my country so far has not implemented regulations that will have me heading for an account with an international proxy service provider, which I know is still using the internet, which if the BIG corpies have their way will end up having DPI running on all data, with few exceptions.

The ACTA (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1376925) thread is more appropriate than here for what I'm talking about.

@handy

What's wrong with Tor? I thought it was the best way to keep your information from getting tracked when you're online, so why stop using it if it works?

Grenage
January 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
What's wrong with Tor? I thought it was the best way to keep your information from getting tracked when you're online, so why stop using it if it works?

It's painfully slow.

virusiidx
January 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I don't block it nor plan to. I'm not much of a conspirisist.

HangukMiguk
January 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM

China is not a machine. (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/china-hacks-google-servers-google-decides-remove-content-filter-google-cn-69152/)

NCLI
January 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
China is not a machine. (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/china-hacks-google-servers-google-decides-remove-content-filter-google-cn-69152/)

And Google is not a Chinese company. Besides, what would China use my internet history for?? Not to mention that Google was never hacked, the "hackers" used phishing to get the passwords they wanted from the users, and these passwords only gave them access to the individuals Gmail account.

CbrPad
January 15th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, I block everything that isn't directly related solely to the functionality of a webpage I'm on, and even then if it's something that I consider overly intrusive or unwarranted then I'll simply never visit that website again.

dmillerct
January 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Here is a thought... Is there an addon like Ghostery for Chrome / Chromium?

Oh the irony...

Pogeymanz
January 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Here is a thought... Is there an addon like Ghostery for Chrome / Chromium?

Oh the irony...

Nope. And there may never be. So far the API does not allow for true Adblocking and script blocking, etc. And the cookie management in Chrome is poor.

handy
January 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM
@handy

I use torrents some, & such traffic is not appreciated on the Tor network.

The steps that I have taken satisfy me currently.

If/when DPI is implemented then I will do whatever I have to, to circumvent such an outright invasion of peoples' privacy.

It's painfully slow.

It certainly can be, though it is/was somewhat dynamic from my experience. Perhaps it is becoming bogged down by all of the Chinese & Middle Eastern people using it these days?