PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new Ubuntu installation problem

squall51489
January 12th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hello there,
I have recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, dualbooting alongside windows 7. Everything was working well, but randomly when I booted into ubuntu it just hangs then goes to a black screen 2 underscores.

I googled the problem and someone suggested
sudo dpkg-reconfigure --phigh xserver-xorg
in safe mode
but it returns that xserver-xorg is not installed.

any ideas?

Anatashinu
January 12th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I'm not exactly sure whats going on, but my first thought woud be
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

tom.swartz07
January 12th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not exactly sure whats going on, but my first thought woud be
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

if that doesnt work, try booting to your recovery (grub should have it listed when you boot up your computer) and running xfix. Perhaps a config file got lost somewhere.

another possibility is to check your ubuntu-desktop

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

squall51489
January 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM
if that doesnt work, try booting to your recovery (grub should have it listed when you boot up your computer) and running xfix. Perhaps a config file got lost somewhere.

another possibility is to check your ubuntu-desktop

is 'xfix' a command by itself? I get command not found

as for

it says it could not resolve 'ca.archive.ubuntu.com'

apt-get update
also says fails to resolve for all hosts

I assume I have to have an active internet connection, how is that achieved from recovery mode

MooPi
January 12th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Did you have an active connection when you first installed Ubuntu. When I say active I mean either a wired connection or wireless configured while using the Live CD function ? If you didn't your instalation may have been incomplete.

squall51489
January 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Did you have an active connection when you first installed Ubuntu. When I say active I mean either a wired connection or wireless configured while using the Live CD function ? If you didn't your instalation may have been incomplete.

I did have a connection when I installed at home, I am currently at school on their open WIFI network

sandyd
January 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
is 'xfix' a command by itself? I get command not found

as for

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktopit says it could not resolve 'ca.archive.ubuntu.com'

apt-get updatealso says fails to resolve for all hosts

I assume I have to have an active internet connection, how is that achieved from recovery mode
when you get to the lines on your screen, can you press alt+f1, login, and type this?

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
as of (jaunty??) there doesn't need to be a xorg.conf - it will use default settings if no xorg.conf is found.

squall51489
January 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

this seemed to clear everything up, is there a reason that my xorg.conf file got messed up? it was working fine and then a reboot made it not work.

tom.swartz07
January 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
this seemed to clear everything up, is there a reason that my xorg.conf file got messed up? it was working fine and then a reboot made it not work.

Did you install anything related to your video card?
I borked my system the first time i booted ubuntu because i installed ATI catalyst center and my card wasnt supported.

squall51489
January 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM
my laptop actually has two gfx processors, one is disabled by default. I ran a system update so maybe the driver for that was updated and the card was enabled.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

sandyd
January 12th, 2010, 02:04 AM
my laptop actually has two gfx processors, one is disabled by default. I ran a system update so maybe the driver for that was updated and the card was enabled.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

You should now be able to renable the drivers.
a
side note.
after renabling, run

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

each time xorg screws up, run

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11.xorg.conf
restart and your xorg will be normal ;)