PDA

View Full Version : Best IDE for C++

Namesake
January 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hi all,

I am just getting into programming with C++, and have programmed in JAVA and FORTRAN before. What do you recommend is the most user friendly IDE for C++ on Ubuntu Karmic?

I have already installed C++ and other things with this command line:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Thanks for the help

Iowan
January 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371120) might help - another thing on my To-Do list...

Sef
January 12th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Moved to Programming Talk.

Queue29
January 12th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Eclipse-cdt or Monodevelop are going to be #'s 1 and 2 for IDE's, but get ready for fanboi responses telling you to use vim and/or emacs.

pbrane
January 12th, 2010, 01:52 AM
You might also take a look at Anjuta.

Firestom
January 12th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'd reccomend Code::Blocks. The IDE is in Ubuntu's repositories and you can install it by using this command:
sudo apt-get install codeblocks

not_a_phd
January 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
If you are leaning toward lightweight - geany.
If you like java induced pain but a full featured IDE - eclipse.
If you are looking for an up and comer with some polish - qtcreator.

Namesake
January 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions team!

I have decided to go with EclipseIDE. After some research, it seems that many people have trouble getting it too run well. Should I follow the advice of the Ubuntu community given in this link for Karmic:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EclipseIDE

korvirlol
January 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
the only IDE you need is linux

SunSpyda
January 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Minimalism = Vim, and the build tools
Similarity with VC++ = MonoDevelop
Tons of clever features = GNU Emacs and the build tools
Lots of support and popular = Eclipse
Quite fast, and built for C++ = Code::Blocks

When I say 'and the build tools', what I actually mean is that you will have to become familiar with cc, ld, and make. And maybe even gdb and as, if you really want to go for it ;)

IDEs really to make the process easier. When done manually, it consists of writing make files, and learning the tools to use within make.

That being said, it's far more portable than depending on a certain IDE to do it for you.

Colonel Kilkenny
January 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Qt Creator without a doubt. Small, fast, easy to use and under very active development.

Eclipse is okayish when it works but when something goes wrong (example: it updates itself/plugins and won't start) it can cause a total and utter RAGE, KDevelop is IMHO too KDE-centric, CodeBlocks is just somehow unintuitive and ugly (plus way back when I tried to use it, it had irritating bugs and issues with stability). Vim and Emacs are for nerds with glasses and sweaty armpits ( :) )

caelestis2
January 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM
KDevelop 4 is easy fast, has simple project folders, uses a universal build system, has all the features. I love it.

schmendrick
January 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
+1 for qt creator.

best debugger in town :)

especially if you got lazy by working too much in java.

but its not only about the debugger, IMHO it is best IDE ATM, and is also fast easy and straightforward

Namesake
January 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Qt Creator without a doubt. Small, fast, easy to use and under very active development.

Eclipse is okayish when it works but when something goes wrong (example: it updates itself/plugins and won't start) it can cause a total and utter RAGE, KDevelop is IMHO too KDE-centric, CodeBlocks is just somehow unintuitive and ugly (plus way back when I tried to use it, it had irritating bugs and issues with stability). Vim and Emacs are for nerds with glasses and sweaty armpits ( :) )

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have installed it :D

DarkAmbient
August 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I know this thread is starting to get old.

Just wanted to add that gedit that comes preinstalled with Ubuntu is really smooth to program in aswell. Got everything you need to code & compile. Just install the essential stuff to be able to compile, then make use of the external tool plugin in gedit. (or compile via the terminal, same same rly)

edit: even though gedit is normally just a texteditor and this is about IDE's. But gedit is damn flexible when it comes to usage. :-)

wkhasintha
August 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
code::blocks