PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me install 9.10

poldie
January 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've booted from the 9.10 386 alternate disk, and clicked on `install ubuntu'. It boots into ubuntu (that's how i'm typing this). But double clicking `install ubuntu 9.10` from the system/admin option, or the desktop icon, does absolutely nothing. I've used gparted to remove the partitions on the disk I want to install onto, in case it doesn't work when there's an existant OS on there, but it's made no difference. Each time I boot from the CD it take literally 10 mins to get to the desktop and just appears to be a standard live OS. I'm sure in the past it very rapidly booted into an installer - ie it didn't install from a 'full OS' so to speak.

I've done clean installs before, including booting from USB key. I'm tempted to dig out my old 8.10 disk and then upgrade, but why should I? I've always been impressed with how easy it is to install Ubuntu.

I have 4 gigs of ram and an intel q6600 quad core cpu.

poldie
January 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hmm. It seems the solution is to download and boot from the regular install disk, not the alternate one. I'm not entirely sure what the point of an alternate install disk is if you can't actually install from it (I guess it provides an alternative to installation...!)

warfacegod
January 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Alternate discs are for minimal installs, if my memory severs. They're basically for people that want to build the OS from the ground up. Get the normal disc.

darkod
January 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You got us very confused. You claim to have downloaded the alternate image, and that you can load the live ubuntu, but the alternate cd doesn't load live ubuntu. It offers only text based installer to install, no live environment.
So if you can load the live desktop I guess you have the standard desktop image.
So lets take it step by step. Do you plan to dual boot or you only want ubuntu? If you only want ubuntu, boot with the cd, select Install Ubuntu from the menu (no need to load the desktop), and tell it to Erase and use whole disk.
If it doesn't work for you, explain precisely where and how the install process breaks.

warfacegod
January 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
You got us very confused. You claim to have downloaded the alternate image, and that you can load the live ubuntu, but the alternate cd doesn't load live ubuntu. It offers only text based installer to install, no live environment.
So if you can load the live desktop I guess you have the standard desktop image.
So lets take it step by step. Do you plan to dual boot or you only want ubuntu? If you only want ubuntu, boot with the cd, select Install Ubuntu from the menu (no need to load the desktop), and tell it to Erase and use whole disk.
If it doesn't work for you, explain precisely where and how the install process breaks.

I'd forgotten that alternate disc don't have Live environments. So yes, now I'm confused too.

@poldie did you mean you downloaded ubuntu from an alternate mirror site?

poldie
January 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'd forgotten that alternate disc don't have Live environments. So yes, now I'm confused too.

@poldie did you mean you downloaded ubuntu from an alternate mirror site?

I have a CD which I wrote `alternate iso ubuntu 9.10` on. This would have been burnt quite soon after 9.10 came out. I have no reason to doubt you when you say the alternate disk doesn't contain a live boot, but it's definitely different to the regular 9.10 iso, because I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10 from it (I'm happily posting this message from the newly installed OS!).

I did have a dual boot (9.10 and xp) but I want to force myself to use Linux more, so I've just blown that away and installed 9.10 on the whole disk, and will be using XP in future only as a VM.

Thanks for the help.

darkod
January 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have a CD which I wrote `alternate iso ubuntu 9.10` on. This would have been burnt quite soon after 9.10 came out. I have no reason to doubt you when you say the alternate disk doesn't contain a live boot, but it's definitely different to the regular 9.10 iso, because I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10 from it (I'm happily posting this message from the newly installed OS!).

I did have a dual boot (9.10 and xp) but I want to force myself to use Linux more, so I've just blown that away and installed 9.10 on the whole disk, and will be using XP in future only as a VM.

Thanks for the help.

Well, I think you're still confused and that you don't have the alternate cd, but if you installed ubuntu and it's running now, it doesn't matter much. Enjoy it. :)

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Indeed! Damn the Windows, full Linux ahead!

Enjoy.