PDA

View Full Version : Malicious app found on Android marketplace

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Yikes (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Android+Market/news.asp?c=17679)

/. Discussion (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/10/2036222/Malicious-App-In-Android-Market?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29)

The application, developed by Droid09, poses as a shell for mobile banking applications that phishes for personal data about the user's bank details and the users themselves, presumably for identity theft.

lol?

SuperSonic4
January 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Using an application to access your bank account is always folly

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Not if it's approved by the bank itself. I use my bank's app on the iPhone. It's quite good.

Tristam Green
January 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Not if it's approved by the bank itself. I use my bank's app on the iPhone. It's quite good.

I would only download my bank's app for my phone if I were to see advertisements for it *in* the bank itself or on official bank correspondence, which of course I am sure you did as well.

In regards to what happened as outlined in the OP, I'll say this much: PT Barnum was right.

starcannon
January 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I would only download my bank's app for my phone if I were to see advertisements for it *in* the bank itself or on official bank correspondence, which of course I am sure you did as well.

In regards to what happened as outlined in the OP, I'll say this much: PT Barnum was right.
+1 to the entire post.

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Yep, and it is.

Giant Speck
January 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
The sudden rise in malware being developed for Linux-based operating systems, which are advertised (by the companies that produce them or by the users themselves) as being malware-free, is a sign that Linux-based operating systems are finally becoming mainstream.

Wait... what?

Queue29
January 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
The sudden rise in malware being developed for Linux-based operating systems, which are advertised (by the companies that produce them or by the users themselves) as being malware-free, is a sign that Linux-based operating systems are finally becoming mainstream.

Wait... what?

Not on the desktop, but on the phone, yea. Linux based phones have been around for a while, but Android is really what's kicking it into the mainstream.

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Not on the desktop, but on the phone, yea. Linux based phones have been around for a while, but Android is really what's kicking it into the mainstream.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2sb8xm8.jpg

alphaniner
January 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
<snip>

icwhutudunthar

Tristam Green
January 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM

Wait... what?

Surely this is the decade of Linux on the mobile device.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2sb8xm8.jpg

That's pretty darn well up there.

LeifAndersen
January 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Well, it's either that or:

1. You have a platform that is broken by design, to the point where it's not capable of malware.
2. You have an extremely draconian company moderating every app.

I for one, am willing to put up with malware, as it only takes some common sense, and maybe a built in firewall.

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I for one, am willing to put up with malware, as it only takes some common sense, and maybe a built in firewall.

I like Windows too.

LeifAndersen
January 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I like Windows too.

Oh come on, you know that if Linux were as popular, and full of as many computer illiterate people as Windows, there would be Linux malware all over the place.

Name change
January 12th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Oh come on, you know that if Linux were as popular, and full of as many computer illiterate people as Windows, there would be Linux malware all over the place.
I think that was his point, but maybe I'm the one who misunderstood it not you...

Tristam Green
January 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM

lol

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I think that was his point, but maybe I'm the one who misunderstood it not you...

^_^

aysiu
January 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Social engineering works on any platform as long as you have gullible users.

Regenweald
January 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Social engineering works on any platform as long as you have gullible users.

Bingo. Linux\GNU may not be as susceptible to drive by infections, but if you install bad software, well....

NoaHall
January 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Bingo. Linux\GNU may not be as susceptible to drive by infections, but if you install bad software, well....

This exact thing happened a couple of months ago.

pwnst*r
Such a revelation.

lisati

We have an application from our bank on our CDMA phone. No problems.

Tristam Green
January 12th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hey guys I wrote this program that's just simply awesome. It gives you an at-a-glance overview of all your yearly earnings, investments, mutual funds, bank accounts, and medical records. All *you* have to do is provide your unique, 9-digit user ID (SSN) and watch the magic happen!

NoaHall
January 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hey guys I wrote this program that's just simply awesome. It gives you an at-a-glance overview of all your yearly earnings, investments, mutual funds, bank accounts, and medical records. All *you* have to do is provide your unique, 9-digit user ID (SSN) and watch the magic happen!

Sure, sign me up! While I'm at, I think I'll download everything which claims to be "fun" and "cool"! Then I'll go to funkysoftwareforbanking.ru and download some more bank applications! Yay!

:)

Sunflower1970
January 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
*ulp*

Great timing. I just get a smartphone with Android and have been having fun with the android market....Better go back and double-check all my apps, now.

(Luckily I'm too paranoid to download any banking apps unless it stated it was from the bank itself and I could verify it on their website...)

chrisinspace
January 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Sure, sign me up! While I'm at, I think I'll download everything which claims to be "fun" and "cool"! Then I'll go to funkysoftwareforbanking.ru and download some more bank applications! Yay!

:)

Oh, hey! I also have a connection in China that knows about a sure-fire investment. Just wire the funds this account in Antigua and I'll double your money in just 2 months!

NoaHall
January 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Oh, hey! I also have a connection in China that knows about a sure-fire investment. Just wire the funds this account in Antigua and I'll double your money in just 2 months!

Oh wow! I'll pay you just after I give my account details to that Nigerian banker who wants to hide some money in my account!

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Good thing this wasn't an iPhone app issue! This place would have been all over it. lulz.

CharlesA
January 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Good thing this wasn't an iPhone app issue! This place would have been all over it. lulz.

^ This.