PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have to admit that Modern Warfare 2...

hoppipolla
January 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM
.. is actually pretty sweet.

There. I said it! Despite all my stuff about oo ooo it's too serious/raw/hooah.. I have to admit what it does it does very, very well.

I tend to prefer games like FEAR and that stuff that are a bit surreal and artistic, with less focus on actual war or realism, but I have to admit that MW gets a lot of stuff simply spot on!

I love the way you can shoot through thin cover, shoot sandbags down, take out helicopter pilots realistically, use cover well... the atmosphere of the later levels is also very good, the story really develops it's own life.

So yeah, very, very good I must admit :)

It's still a little gruff and that for me like I said but... yeah credit where it's due :)

Hoppi!

Hetor
January 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Cool story bro.

SmittyJensen
January 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Cool story bro.
Cool story bro.

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I don't get why you would "have to admit..." Are you ashamed of playing current FPS AAA titles or something?

Zoot7
January 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
From what I hear the Single Player is too short to even remotely consider buying it, Multi-player is where the real merit of it lies. And for that there's no beating Left 4 Dead 2 IMO. :)

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
From what I hear the Single Player is too short to even remotely consider buying it, Multi-player is where the real merit of it lies. And for that there's no beating Left 4 Dead 2 IMO. :)

Considering it's a MP game first and an SP game last, it's exactly how it should be.

Icehuck
January 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Considering it's a MP game first and an SP game last, it's exactly how it should be.

There was a single player mode on Modern Warfare 2? Seriously?

pwnst*r
January 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It's what I heard!

Zoot7
January 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah. For me though, games with a lengthy single player are normally what I'm on the look out for.
Another mainly multiplayer based game for me = meh. Mainly because it's rare that I can either get a group of my friends together or online.

arrancaru
January 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Another L4D2 fan here. MW2 crash my pc.

aaaantoine
January 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
You know, MW2 used to mean MechWarrior 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_2).

Get off my lawn!

PuddingKnife
January 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ramirez! Get in that mechwarrior and brew me some coffee!

this is new york not l.a.
January 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You know, MW2 used to mean MechWarrior 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_2).

Get off my lawn!

I feel the need to fight some giant robots right now.....

hoppipolla
January 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah. For me though, games with a lengthy single player are normally what I'm on the look out for.
Another mainly multiplayer based game for me = meh. Mainly because it's rare that I can either get a group of my friends together or online.

well, to be fair on (modern, non-Wii) consoles, good 4 player splitscreens are a rarity. And real quality online multiplayers... are more common but particularly good ones are still fairly rare, so it definitely has it's place IMO!

Ramirez! Get in that mechwarrior and brew me some coffee!

haha epic! :)

Regenweald
January 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not much of a gamer, so I find it sad that almost the entire gaming industry is about running around and shooting sh**. More FPS! better physics! DirectX11 ! render light, smoke, fluids flawlessly!

To shoot sh**.

hoppipolla
January 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm not much of a gamer, so I find it sad that almost the entire gaming industry is about running around and shooting sh**. More FPS! better physics! DirectX11 ! render light, smoke, fluids flawlessly!

To shoot sh**.

well, not just to shoot stuff.

I mean there were many reasons why I played FEAR 2 and Quantum of Solace and The Darkness recently for example, and they are on paper "shooters". I played them also for their story, their atmosphere, yes perhaps their visuals too, gaming environment, many, many things :)

And let's face it we're male and we like to kick *** and guns are a fun way to do that... heh (it's testosterone + adrenaline probably)

And yes I know lots of girls game too but... I think we have to be able to agree that the majority of people playing these mainstream shooters are guys!

alphaniner
January 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM

To shoot sh**.

People want *action*. And for action, what else is there besides shooting/slashing sh** and sports?

Zoot7
January 12th, 2010, 12:29 AM
well, to be fair on (modern, non-Wii) consoles, good 4 player splitscreens are a rarity. And real quality online multiplayers... are more common but particularly good ones are still fairly rare, so it definitely has it's place IMO!
Well truth be told, I judged it based this review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1118-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Well truth be told, I judged it based this review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1118-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2

ugh I hate that guy... I hate him. lol

I just find him so negative about everything, I know he's going to just moan and moan no matter how much I may think a game is cool ._.

I did used to find him funny at points but now he just kinda irritates me..

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Just completed the standard single player! Woo! It's probably for the best as I only rented it (it's a bit expensive in shops and I only wanted to sample it for now anyway), but yeah wicked! Good last mission, great ending. Glad I gave that a shot :)

I have tried the multiplayer (split screen and online) but I have to admit I mainly focused on the single player as I wanted to try all the missions! I might give that Special Ops mode a quick blast before I take it back too.

I did quite well, but yeah it's not an easy game, particularly when you first start as there's a bit to learn mostly in terms of strategy if you haven't played many CoD games before (plus I'm not like amazing at shooters or anything, just passable!)

Right, well that's that, time for me to... I dunno, stop gaming for a little bit I guess!

Laterz peeps!

Hoppi! ^_^

blueshiftoverwatch
January 12th, 2010, 02:18 AM
After playing Tribes I've pretty much been spoiled in the area of online first person shooters. I don't really see why people get all worked up about the latest Unreal Tournament or Call of Duty game to play it online. As far as I'm concerned they're all pretty much the same. You run around on the ground with guns and shoot people, that's it.

In Tribes you can fly over the landscape and ski down hills. It changes the gameplay mechanics so much that no other online FPS is like it. That said, Shattered Horizon (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/shattered-horizon/10127) looks like a spiritual successor to Tribes.

00ber n00b
January 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM
After playing Tribes I've pretty much been spoiled in the area of online first person shooters. I don't really see why people get all worked up about the latest Unreal Tournament or Call of Duty game to play it online. As far as I'm concerned they're all pretty much the same. You run around on the ground with guns and shoot people, that's it.

In Tribes you can fly over the landscape and ski down hills. It changes the gameplay mechanics so much that no other online FPS is like it. That said, Shattered Horizon (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/shattered-horizon/10127) looks like a spiritual successor to Tribes.

Wrong!!!! Just running around and shooting?! How about taking an AC-130 and blasting everyone on the ground!

And everyone that says the game is too short needs to stop playing on easy and walking through the game.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 12th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Wrong!!!! Just running around and shooting?! How about taking an AC-130 and blasting everyone on the ground!
I rest my case.

00ber n00b
January 12th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I rest my case.

Objection! Order in the court!

"You run around on the ground with guns and shoot people, that's it."

Didn't know you could run around with an AC-130...

NoaHall
January 12th, 2010, 02:48 AM

I was in beta for it! It was good.

Regenweald
January 12th, 2010, 02:58 AM
well, not just to shoot stuff.

I mean there were many reasons why I played FEAR 2 and Quantum of Solace and The Darkness recently for example, and they are on paper "shooters". I played them also for their story, their atmosphere, yes perhaps their visuals too, gaming environment, many, many things :)

And let's face it we're male and we like to kick *** and guns are a fun way to do that... heh (it's testosterone + adrenaline probably)

And yes I know lots of girls game too but... I think we have to be able to agree that the majority of people playing these mainstream shooters are guys!

Hoppi, FPS + storyline and guns + fun. Oxymorons. So I'll agree to disagree with you. Enjoy your gaming :)

WeAreTheSiNs
January 12th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I personally dislike MW2 :o

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 03:15 AM

Thanks for stopping by.

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Hoppi, FPS + storyline and guns + fun. Oxymorons. So I'll agree to disagree with you. Enjoy your gaming :)

But if you stripped all the things I mentioned away from certainly the Darkness and FEAR 2 you would have a very boring and unfulfilling experience compared to with them... surely that's true?

People want *action*. And for action, what else is there besides shooting/slashing sh** and sports?

Kiiiind of, but there have been many examples of fun, action-packed and even adult games that didn't involve obvious violence. The Dreamcast was full of them, although I'll admit that that could have been a contributing factor to it's demise...

I think it has to be said that there are a particularly high number of shooting games these days, as well as driving games and sports games. They're just very, very popular and the current (now significantly more mainstream) gaming scene seems to really favour them. Who knows what the future will bring though :)

Ric_NYC
January 12th, 2010, 04:43 AM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/149/coolstorys.jpg

Windows Nerd
January 12th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Agreed. I am a big Halo fan, and just cannot stand how disorganized the game is. The multiplayer maps are poorly designed and riddled full of tunnels designed to promote camping. All anyone does is camp, too. I can never find anybody to kill, and when I do, about 5 guys pop out of freaking nowhere and take me out. There are ridiculously overpowered weapons that you have to play COD all day every day to earn and this mechanic means people with no life generally win. There are tons of glitches...I could go on.

My views,

Scott

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 05:50 AM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/149/coolstorys.jpg

As kinda funny as that particular rendition of that is, it is getting a LITTLE much when people say that at the tiniest HINT of self-expression or debate! Sometimes people are just talking.

boriskarloffinablender
January 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM
As kinda funny as that particular rendition of that is, it is getting a LITTLE much when people say that at the tiniest HINT of self-expression or debate! Sometimes people are just talking.

lan di says mw2 is crap. what are you going to do about that?

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
lan di says mw2 is crap. what are you going to do about that?

set Ryo on him? :D

boriskarloffinablender
January 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
set Ryo on him? :D i'll see your ryo, and raise you 1 chai :P

hoppipolla
January 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
i'll see your ryo, and raise you 1 chai :P
What is a Chai? ._.

But man I loved Shenmue, what a game. I still claim it to be my favourite/the best game ever now, without much hesitation! I dont even know why, its just an incredible gaming experience :)

boriskarloffinablender
January 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
What is a Chai? ._.

But man I loved Shenmue, what a game. I still claim it to be my favourite/the best game ever now, without much hesitation! I dont even know why, its just an incredible gaming experience :)

zomg!? and you call yourself a shenmue fan? :O

chai be this.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1668/181690-char_chai_shenmue_large.jpg

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Agreed. I am a big Halo fan, and just cannot stand how disorganized the game is. The multiplayer maps are poorly designed and riddled full of tunnels designed to promote camping. All anyone does is camp, too. I can never find anybody to kill, and when I do, about 5 guys pop out of freaking nowhere and take me out. There are ridiculously overpowered weapons that you have to play COD all day every day to earn and this mechanic means people with no life generally win. There are tons of glitches...I could go on.

My views,

Scott

...and here come the Halo fanbois.

Zoot7
January 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
ugh I hate that guy... I hate him. lol

I just find him so negative about everything, I know he's going to just moan and moan no matter how much I may think a game is cool ._.

I did used to find him funny at points but now he just kinda irritates me..
Haha, hatred indeed. :tongue:

Sometimes some of his reviews are a bit hit and miss yeah, but some of them are absolutely priceless, like this one :)
http://www.n4g.com/nintendods/News-260136.aspx

Johnsie
January 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
http://takegame.com/shooter/pictures/wolfenstein.gif

Wolfenstien 3D is the best FPS ever ;-)

All you other guys are just copying an overplayed genre :-)

pwnst*r
January 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM

truth. id are gods.

hoppipolla
January 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM
zomg!? and you call yourself a shenmue fan? :O

chai be this.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1668/181690-char_chai_shenmue_large.jpg

hehe I love that guy! Man... that game was awesome ^_^

It was good in 1992. lol

I actually did thoroughly enjoy Wolf 3D when I was a kid yeah - I was hooked! :)

WeAreTheSiNs
January 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for stopping by.

Whats that suposed to mean?

hessiess
January 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Way too many FPS games these days, too few innovative and good games.

hoppipolla
January 15th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Way too many FPS games these days, too few innovative and good games.

Yeah kind of, although there is a lot of innovation IN some of the FPSs! lol

I'll agree that due to the focus on the "casual gamer" a lot of very imaginative titles and genres can get swamped or not released at all ._.

It's a shame but I'm sure the gems ARE still out there you just have to look harder, and MW2 really was very good. I'm not sure about being THAT imaginative, but the control system and some elements of the gameplay did feel quite innovative in places :)