PDA

View Full Version : Should I right "Statement of Purpose" on top of my SoP letter?

legolas_w
January 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hello cafe members.

I am writing an "Statement of Purpose" for my university application.

- what do I need to include in the header of the paper? Do I need to include things like Date....?

-I do not know who is the reader of my paper so I can not directly address anyone. Will it be ok to write "To whom it may concern:"?

-I am wondering whether I should have something like:

Statement of Purpose

In top of the page or it is not required to explicitly mention that it is a SoP.

-Also, do I need to put my signature in the end of the paper or it will be enough to write my name?

Thanks.

whiskeylover
January 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Go ahead and write "Statement of Purpose" at the top. They wont deduct any points if you do.

Your name should be enough at the bottom.

There isn't a fixed format for writing SoPs. They're not like formal business letters. An SoP is supposed to tell them a bit about your background, and what you'd like to do if they accepted you... etc.

Here are some samples.

http://www.statementofpurpose.com/essay_samples.html

Dark_Stang
January 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Huh, mine was all online. Have you ever seen an official business letter? Nearly 1/3 of the first page is heading anyway.

whiskeylover
January 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Have you ever seen an official business letter? Nearly 1/3 of the first page is heading anyway.

What point are you trying to make? Are you saying that an SoP should have a huge header as well?

Dark_Stang
January 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
What point are you trying to make? Are you saying that an SoP should have a huge header as well?
Sure, I guess. It makes the person in admissions feel more comfortable. That's what they're used to seeing in their womb-like cubicle all day. So if you have a huge header, and make the admissions person feel all warm and safe, you'll get in for sure.

As I'm in my last semester of college I really don't have points anymore. I have no real advice here other than this. It probably isn't going to matter what you write as long as your checks don't bounce, or your student loans come through.

whiskeylover
January 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe you're right. Do what it takes to make them happy.

legolas_w
January 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

I included a simple Statement of Intent (a big larger than normal size) in the top left corner of the page because If I was going to add a big header I would lose the opportunity to explain more about myself and my intent.