PDA

View Full Version : What SNES emulator do you use?

Dark Aspect
January 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
What is your favorite SNES emulator? Mine was zsnes but the audio seems to be getting worst and worst in terms of quality. I didn't think I would like it but I've grown to like bsnes quite a bit despite the 80-90% CPU usage. Never really used Snes9x accept on my PSP.

No asking for roms in this thread, if you want a 100% legal way to get SNES roms click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwq6vRM8U7k&feature=player_embedded).

Techsnap
January 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I prefer using Hardware, but if I'm out on my laptop or anything I use ZSNES. However BSNES is a lot more accurate than ZSNES.

Mine was zsnes but the audio seems to be getting worst and worst in terms of quality.

Must be the way you've configured your OS, ZSNES hasn't been updated since 2007, so the sound should be the way it always has been.

sudoer541
January 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Snes9X is different than the windows version, so its corrupt and difficult to setup and use.
This applies to Visualboy Advance, its difficult to use and setup in some cases the linux version of the same emulator does not seem to work.

So to answer your question I use Zsnes (unfortunately)

mthei
January 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Snes9X is different than the windows version, so its corrupt and difficult to setup and use.

Are you using the version that's in the repositories? Because I would like to recommend SNES9X-GTK. If you do a search on these forums, you'll find it. It works as well as the Windows version.
Although there's nothing wrong with ZSNES either.

That said, I started to miss playing some games with a regular controller, so most of my SNES games are on the Virtual Console.

aaaantoine
January 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I haven't used an SNES emulator in a long time (for one thing, it was before I switched to Linux). At the time I believe I was preferring ZSNES over Snes9x.

Techsnap
January 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
IMO the only real advantage of SNES9x is that it runs on a wide range of platforms whereas ZSNES is x86 ASM (hence why you have to install the 32-bit version on an x64 system). SNES9X didn't have good sound reproduction last time I tried it, and there are various video flaws that although may not be noticeable at first, they are after using the hardware for so long.

Whilst no emulator is perfect, ZSNES and BSNES are the most accurate.

Twitch6000
January 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I only use a playstation emulator so I can play the frogger game.

However I like zsnes best for snes emulation.

orlox
January 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Snes9x on wii homebrew.

Dark Aspect
January 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Must be the way you've configured your OS, ZSNES hasn't been updated since 2007, so the sound should be the way it always has been.

I agree but its been getting harder and harder to configure the OS right. I never did get ZSNES to sound right with Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 and while the sound is clear on arch, it still seemed sub quality. At first I just figured it was the fact that the games are obviously old but BSNES plays the audio fine.

I haven't used an SNES emulator in a long time (for one thing, it was before I switched to Linux). At the time I believe I was preferring ZSNES over Snes9x.

Snes9x ran horribly on Ubuntu 7.04, I couldn't even get it to detect my controller.

Snes9x on wii homebrew.

Snes9x is great as a homebrew appilcation running on the wii and PSP.

johnboy1313
January 12th, 2010, 12:44 AM
znes ftw

doorknob60
January 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Snes9X GTK. ZSNES I use too though, just sometimes it doesn't always work as well, and I have to use it inside a chroot since it's 32 bit only. Also I use Snes9X on my Wii :P

kosmo
January 27th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Snes-GTK+!

I HATE QT GUIs:KS!!!

Psumi
January 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I don't use an emulator because I don't own an SNES.

it's illegal to do so in the states. if you don't own the original system, you cannot use an emulator. Furthermore, Nintendo has also stated in their TOS or FAQ, ROMs are not allowed to be used. The emulator MUST play the original copies of the games that you own (the actual cartridges.)

All companies that do a video game console say this, and they will never back down from it.

Granted, I use MP3 codecs without paying for them... :|

mister_k81
January 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I generally use Snes9X-GTK (http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3703&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) (as some have mentioned). Though, I also use ZSNES once in a while too.

chriswyatt
January 27th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Well following that logic it's a good thing breathing's legal then!
Saying that though I personally do what I think is right and generally that means I do comply with the law.

I'm sort of semi-legal, I used to download loads of ROMs, but all the games I liked I ended up buying them again on the Wii virtual console as well, gave me an excuse to play them again and I prefer playing games away from the PC I think. Also, I only really downloaded old games, newer games I went out and bought even if I could easily download them, I just preferred playing them on the TV / gameboy / DS etc. Not to mention emulation of newer systems is often far from perfect.

Whenever I've downloaded music I've almost always not bothered keeping it, the quality's often dodgy and I like to have all my music in the same format as I'm slightly OCD about these things.

Dark Aspect
January 27th, 2010, 03:40 AM
it's illegal to do so in the states. if you don't own the original system, you cannot use an emulator. Furthermore, Nintendo has also stated in their TOS or FAQ, ROMs are not allowed to be used. The emulator MUST play the original copies of the games that you own (the actual cartridges.)

I just rip the ROM from the original cartridges; I don’t really care what Nintendo thinks. I doubt they are going to sue me over 10 outdated games. Although I don't own a SNES console either, my SNES broke a long time ago.

Personally, I don't think you can really get in trouble for ripping a ROM from an original.

RiceMonster
January 27th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I use ZSNES, occasionally, but I own a SNES, so I rarely use emulators.

Je Et
March 23rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Zsnes works right out of the box on my x86. And using asla, it works just as well as it did on ******* for me.

Psumi
March 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
I just rip the ROM from the original cartridges; I don’t really care what Nintendo thinks. I doubt they are going to sue me over 10 outdated games. Although I don't own a SNES console either, my SNES broke a long time ago.

Personally, I don't think you can really get in trouble for ripping a ROM from an original.

Doesn't matter if it's broken or not. if you still own it, you can still use the emulator.

3rdalbum
March 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I use Virtual Console - it's more faithful a reproduction than any third-party emulator could ever be. Including the experience of sitting in front of the TV :-)

I used to use Snes9x though, because it was the only SNES emulator on Mac OS 9.