PDA

View Full Version : 32bit or 64bit?

Ac1ds0ld13r
January 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Okay after reading around with several google searches I havent found a satisfactory answer to this so I thought I'd try this here:

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-Core 4400 processor, have 4GB DDR2 RAM
And a 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS Graphics card.

The Motherboard is an ASUS board made specifically for HP so theres no specific model number assigned to it.

Im currently running windows in 32bit, but.... Well yeah...

I asked around and have gotten different answers about upgrading to 64 bit. Basically one response was anytime you CAN run 64bit you should, and another is while my hardware will handle 32bit with no problem it'll struggle a bit with 64bit thus reducing performance.

However, everything I just read seems to indicate the opposite, that switching to 64bit will let me fully utilize the processors.

I do a lot of code, graphics, and heavy multitasking. If I game its WoW and thats it.

SO, the question is should I do the 64bit 9.10 Distro, or stick with 32bit? Another issue would be since I'm dual booting with Win Vista 32 am I likely to run into issues as the processor switches between the two or is this not even possible?

Thanks in advance for any help in the matter. Either way I'm looking forward to getting back into Ubuntu. I've missed it terribly :(

EDIT: I'm not so much worried about software issues as I am hardware issues. Yeah, the boost to the processor is nice, but as you can see my comp isn't uber (didnt need it to be when I got it).

cascade9
January 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
You wont have any issues with 64bit in my experience. I've run a similar setup for a long while with no problems (X2 4800+, 2GB, 512MB 8600GT). Its not going to struggle at all.

Probably whoever told you that had issues a few years ago and hasn't realised that things have moved on quite a bit....

For coding, it wont make much difference, but for graphics work 64bit should be faster. Noticeably faster :)

There are no problems with 32bit windows/64bit linux dual booting. The OSes have no interaction at all.

Use 64bit 9.10, for sure :D

f-teem
January 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM
You wont have any issues with 64bit in my experience. I've run a similar setup for a long while with no problems (X2 4800+, 2GB, 512MB 8600GT). Its not going to struggle at all.

Probably whoever told you that had issues a few years ago and hasn't realised that things have moved on quite a bit....

For coding, it wont make much difference, but for graphics work 64bit should be faster. Noticeably faster :)

There are no problems with 32bit windows/64bit linux dual booting. The OSes have no interaction at all.

Use 64bit 9.10, for sure :D

+1

Your hardware configuration (and the type of work you do) requires a 64bit OS,so go for it. :)

p.s. I'm using U9.10 64bit... :)

llawwehttam
January 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I started using ubuntu 64 bit on my new laptop and despite what people say it works like a dream and I would say its faster that 32 bit.

Go for it!!

Ac1ds0ld13r
January 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thank you all very much! See ya in about 15 minutes after I set this bad boy up lol.

llawwehttam
January 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
You will want to use 64 bit flash as 32 bit flash is aweful. Use the version from adobe labs. I know its beta but is more stable than 32 bit!

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html

Ac1ds0ld13r
January 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you for that. I read something about it being in Alpha and it was still recommended. ;) With the benchmarks I seen it looked good then.

cascade9
January 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Good luck. Not that I think you'll need any luck, but it never hurts, eh? :)

Dayofswords
January 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
but as you can see my comp isn't uber (didnt need it to be when I got it).
(odd rant begin)
dude, your computer has 8x the ram, 2x the cores than the computer i'm using. and actually has a graphics card, mines has a built in one, Intel RIVA TNT2 M64, pre-geforce time, circa 1999

*grabs cane*
kids these days! cant appreciate what they got! use the PC til it dies, I say! mmmmm....
*throws cane, remembering that I'm actually a teenager*

basically, love what you have, no matter the specs.

(odd rant over)

halovivek
January 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I am using 64-bit and it is doing fine.

oldos2er
January 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Thank you for that. I read something about it being in Alpha and it was still recommended. ;) With the benchmarks I seen it looked good then.

There is a script here to install 64-bit prerelease flash: http://www.myscienceisbetter.info/install-native-64bit-flash-player-10-on-linux.html