PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] b43-fwcutter can't be found?

clickypens
January 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I just updated from 8.04 to 9.10. Unfortunately, I forgot to save my home directory (luckily having backed everything up beforehand) and no longer have wireless support. I tried doing what I did with 8.04 by running

"sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter" in terminal. However, when I do that, after checking dependencies, it says that the package "b43-fwcutter"

I've looked it up on the internet, and all sources say "b43-fwcutter". I imagine there's something easy that I'm missing. Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just noticed, browsing on FireFox, and looking through software center (where you can download and/or remove new programs, I don't know what it's called in english), can't find packages, either. I've rebooted since I installed.

walkerk
January 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I haven't used Ubuntu in some time but didn't b43-fwcutter get replaced by b44?

I would try installing b44. :)

clickypens
January 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I haven't used Ubuntu in some time but didn't b43-fwcutter get replaced by b44?

I would try installing b44. :)

Well, I've got a Broadcom BCM4311 wireless card. But anyway, I tried that, and it couldn't be found either. I've since edited my OP, but it seems no package can be found for downloading.

vinnywright
January 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm looking at that package now in synaptic .........make shur you have all the standerd repos enabeld

VINNY

clickypens
January 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'm looking at that package now in synaptic .........make shur you have all the standerd repos enabeld

VINNY

and how do I do that?

EDIT: you meant repositories. got that working. downloaded fwcutter. how do I enable it?