PDA

View Full Version : Possible (ed)ubuntu PC

glug101
March 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM
Greetings all!

I had the idea to create a PC that was specially configured to run Edubuntu that would be targeted at parents with children. The advantages would be that they would be able to control access to the internet for their children, and the child would have a tuff time filling it with adware/spyware.

Well, a post I made on another thread gave me some great feedback, and part of that was to post a poll to find out if others would be interested in purchasing this PC (which I stress is still in the planning stage) with a stock ubuntu install on it instead of Edubuntu. So, I'm interested in your thoughts as a part of the Ubuntu comunity.

Here are the specs and prices that I am thinking of selling them at. Please keep in mind that the final price will likely differ since I haven't even built the first one yet. And an actual 'release' (as in a saleable version) is at best months away.

Asus Pundit AE3 Barebones computer (http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=1&l2=3&l3=0&model=504&modelmenu=1)

Sempron 2200+ w/cooling fan and heat sync

256 MB of RAM

60 gig HD 7200 rpm (PATA)

No Optical = ($311)

add:

1024MB Ram ($81)

512MB Ram ($23)

DVD RW ($46)

CDRW/DVD Combo ($34)

DVD-Rom ($23)

glug101
March 1st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Any suggestions are also welcome.

glug101
March 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Giving this a bump on the off chance chance that it's not seeing traffic. because it's getting buried. I'm guessing, however, that either the price is too high, or most ubuntu users can build their own box cheaper.

Further searching has shown that the price will likely be lower and the final box will have better specs. (I found a cheaper source for semprons.)

Thanx everybody for your input.

Brunellus
March 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Giving this a bump on the off chance chance that it's not seeing traffic. because it's getting buried. I'm guessing, however, that either the price is too high, or most ubuntu users can build their own box cheaper.

Further searching has shown that the price will likely be lower and the final box will have better specs. (I found a cheaper source for semprons.)

Thanx everybody for your input.
price is way too high. I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again: Edubuntu becomes a killer if you recycle old PCs with bootable NICs and run an edubuntu server. You will lose trying to compete with brand-new equipment on price.

glug101
March 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
price is way too high. I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again: Edubuntu becomes a killer if you recycle old PCs with bootable NICs and run an edubuntu server. You will lose trying to compete with brand-new equipment on price.
What good is a computer with a bootable nic if there is no server?

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I agree (as I stated in the same thread that you are referring to) that the the real value is in setting up a server to cheap terminals. Are you suggesting that I should morph this into selling servers that serve up edubuntu?

Brunellus
March 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
What good is a computer with a bootable nic if there is no server?

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I agree (as I stated in the same thread that you are referring to) that the the real value is in setting up a server to cheap terminals. Are you suggesting that I should morph this into selling servers that serve up edubuntu?
glug, yes. the way I see it, unless you are Dell, you will *always* lose in a bidding war. Large players can slash hardware prices enough to kill you. As for those windows licenses--they are also negotiable.

Edubuntu's value is the server/thin-client ability, which would allow new schools to start computer labs quickly at very little cost (donated computers from the community for instance, plus bootable nics, plus one of your shiny edubuntu servers). Attempting to compete desktop-for-desktop where you cannot discount heavily on hardware is asking for failure.

glug101
March 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Thank you for the clarity :) This is the type of constructive criticism that I was looking for with the posts that I've been putting up. I believe that I now see a little better what you are getting at. I have to admit that I would enjoy setting up beefier hardware and getting the servers working with the diskless nodes.

However, I do believe that you are being too harsh on the idea of selling individual computers. My goal is not to make a ton at this, but more to expand the hobby that I currently have (computers) into a wider audience. I love helping others with and learning about computers and to me that's part of the payment in this endevor.

In summary, thanks much. You've just shortened my path into the LTSP server route:) Before this I was thinking of a several thousand dollar server powering 10 or more desktops, now I'm thinking more along the lines of 'for the price of 2-3 workstations I can upgrade all of your desktops'. And I'll be talking that up to any who might be interested:D

Brunellus
March 4th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Thank you for the clarity :) This is the type of constructive criticism that I was looking for with the posts that I've been putting up. I believe that I now see a little better what you are getting at. I have to admit that I would enjoy setting up beefier hardware and getting the servers working with the diskless nodes.

However, I do believe that you are being too harsh on the idea of selling individual computers. My goal is not to make a ton at this, but more to expand the hobby that I currently have (computers) into a wider audience. I love helping others with and learning about computers and to me that's part of the payment in this endevor.

In summary, thanks much. You've just shortened my path into the LTSP server route:) Before this I was thinking of a several thousand dollar server powering 10 or more desktops, now I'm thinking more along the lines of 'for the price of 2-3 workstations I can upgrade all of your desktops'. And I'll be talking that up to any who might be interested:D
they wont' really care about freedom. They WILL care about their budgets. So your edubuntu-ltsp pitch can be that you can give them, at a GREAT value, computing capabilities that would cost them a bundle with that other solution.

This can go in plenty of ways: library computers for people to work on; a new elementary school computer lab (kindergarteners using Gcompris, major cute points!); and so forth.

You're not just replacing hardware--you're also giving them the opportunity perhaps to expand their capabilities beyond what they might have budgeted.

glug101
March 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmmm, might be time for a bump;). Thank you to everybody that has given me great ideas on these forums and others. I feel much better about my ideas now, thanx to the wonderful Ubuntu community. Now THAT is an advantage Microsoft does not have. Spontaniously created forums that give top notch advice and help by volunteers.