PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux Volume Problem

ninja togo
January 11th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I have searched and searched through the forum but, finding the solution seems impossible.

My problem is that the output volume on my PC speakers using Linux seems extremely low compared to that found (heard?) in my Windows partition.

30% volume in Windows is equal to 50% in Linux from the external microphone recording tests I ran.

Is there any way to fix this problem or can it be that my sound card (SoundMAX) was fine-tuned by the manufacturer (HP) for Windows?

I have seen this problem come up in posts from the days of Ubuntu 7.10 but not later; they all had responses saying to edit the settings in alsamixer, but some said not to trouble the PCM others said to set it to maximum.

What should I do?

RedSingularity
January 11th, 2010, 06:16 AM
In a terminal type

alsamixer

Make sure the volume settings are all the way up.

ninja togo
January 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Sorry for the late response (Had homework to do).
I have turned up the PCM setting to 100 and still not really a huge boost to the volume. The Linux:Windows ratio is still like 0.6:1. I have to really turn it up to hear anything or use earphones; not really what I want.:(

Is there anything I can do software-wise to make it any louder; I know I can plug in external powered speakers but that is not practical when on the go.

benerivo
January 12th, 2010, 01:35 AM
If you are using pulseaudio then you could try to install the sound mixer to see if you amplify the sound output. See this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308838

ninja togo
January 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
If you are using pulseaudio then you could try to install the sound mixer to see if you amplify the sound output. See this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308838

OMG!!!:D
You found the solution! Thank you. No more low audio. (Nearly deafened myself from the volume being set so high)

Also thank you RedSingularity for you help too.

*Now a happy camper:KS*