PDA

View Full Version : Toowoomba Linux Community

toowoombalinux
January 11th, 2010, 03:07 AM
G'day,
The Toowoomba Linux Community says hi to all Ubuntu Users. We are only a new group having only had 4 General Meetings - but I have been surprised at the level of interest people have shown - and we are growing!

We use Ubuntu to give to new users as it has the easiest interface and easiest install for newbies. It is the best all-round Linux Distro.

You can check us out at:
http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux

Cheers
Martin

fatcrab
January 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Hi):P

Dayofswords
January 11th, 2010, 05:10 AM
hey there

Rodney9
January 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM
G'Day, Well Done.

MaxIBoy
January 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Cool stuff, but
Linux is an Operating System like Windows except most versions do not cost anything (GPL)
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/selling.html

murderslastcrow
January 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Lol, I know you don't want to be lengthy, but saying Linux is like Windows in any way other than being an OS (or in this case, technically a kernel) is pretty out there. It fills the same needs, perhaps?

cascade9
January 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Linux in toowoomba, wow, things change. Next thing you know there will be a warwick group LMAO.

Good luck with your group!

toowoombalinux
January 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the good cheer and encouragement. Despite certain negative press about the people of Toowoomba there is a dynamic community underneath there somewhere - Hell! the Google Group has 19 members and I'm getting a good number of peeps going to meetings.

Apologies for some of the generalisations and simplifications but the task was to keep the intro brief and understandable to absolute "linux" beginners. It's primary role is to create interest.
The opening spiel was created as a melange of different sources from Linux Format to Linux Australia.
I needed a point of reference for Windows Users (who really do think we still only use the command-line) and I needed a marketing weapon - "free" is a lovely word to many wanting to escape MS tyranny. My understanding of GPL is the same as yours. However, to curb people's sceptism I ran with the GPL reference.

You can also find us at myspace, facebook and twitter - and soon we'll have our own website up and running. KEEP ALERT!
Cheers
martin

Marisa H
January 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
What's a Toowoomba?

It's a place in Australia! :KS