PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor loses signal on startup at the same place every time

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I have Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (I think it's called Karmic Koala or something) and the latest Nvidia graphics card driver (for my graphics card).

The problem:
I can start up the computer. The bios stuff pops up, then it shows the grub loading fine, then the boot from hard drive 0 stuff, and then the circle with the dots(I never bothered to learn what that's supposed to be). But when it's supposed to go to the login screen, my monitor loses focus! I'm sure it has something to do with the monitor or graphics card, and not the computer hanging. I know it isn't hanging because when I press the power button and press enter the computer turns off.

The first time this happened was when I got a new driver for the graphics card. This was a few months ago. After I changed my usb mouse with a mouse with the older kind of mouse port mouse, it started acting up again. I'm pretty sure that the mouse isn't the problem, just thought I should mention it.

I do not know the name of my graphics card, motherboard, monitor, nor do I have a comphrehensive list of applications installed. I am simply hoping that this is a common issue with a common solution.

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately noone cares about my problems. I may end up having to post this in the wrong section for publicity.:popcorn:

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Just kidding. I'm not asking, "So what?" I already know it's annoying, takes up space, and annoys the hell out of people. So why am I doing this do you ask? Well, that's a good question. It is a good question because by now you are at least irritated with me and my annoying avoidance of giving helpful answers. Hopefully you are now riled up enough to care what I say. The reason I am posting int the wrong section is that I get no replies (and minimal views) when I post it in the right category. I am sure I will get more views here, and with that, the possibility of more replies.

I have Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (I think it's called Karmic Koala or something) and the latest Nvidia graphics card driver (for my graphics card).

The problem:
I can start up the computer. The bios stuff pops up, then it shows the grub loading fine, then the boot from hard drive 0 stuff, and then the circle with the dots(I never bothered to learn what that's supposed to be). But when it's supposed to go to the login screen, my monitor loses focus! I'm sure it has something to do with the monitor or graphics card, and not the computer hanging. I know it isn't hanging because when I press the power button and press enter the computer turns off.

The first time this happened was when I got a new driver for the graphics card. This was a few months ago. After I changed my usb mouse with a mouse with the older kind of mouse port mouse, it started acting up again. I'm pretty sure that the mouse isn't the problem, just thought I should mention it.

I do not know the name of my graphics card, motherboard, monitor, nor do I have a comphrehensive list of applications installed. I am simply hoping that this is a common issue with a common solution.

sailthesea
January 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Hold Super key (with Windows logo on it) and scroll out with mouse wheel to refocus screen

overdrank
January 11th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Please do not create multiple threads on the same issue. Also please do not bump your post so quickly, once a 24 hr period is appreciated. :) Threads merged.

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Hold Super key (with Windows logo on it) and scroll out with mouse wheel to refocus screen

Did not work D:

Another thing that did not work: Going into recovery mode and running startx. This produced the same problem.

EDIT: I just realized, people are going to ignore this topic just as much now ;<

sailthesea
January 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Did not work D:

Another thing that did not work: Going into recovery mode and running startx. This produced the same problem.

EDIT: I just realized, people are going to ignore this topic just as much now ;<

Yes

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Thank you for replying. That makes this post eligible to be called a reply rather than a double post or bump.:D

glopso
January 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM
WOOT! It works! Apparently it was the mouse:o because after put my old mouse in it didn't lose signal to the monitor!!!!!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::p opcorn::popcorn::popcorn: