PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can not get dvd's to play

Tourdog
January 10th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone:
I am the 8th responder on "mdquince's" message post (about 4 hours ago) . I have the same exact problem: Ubudog responded (#6) with the following:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasIt seems to be a good direction but after do so I have a "locked" Sun Micro Systems Java6-Jre license aggreement menu. The desktop is ok. What to do? If Ubudog is here do you have any suggestions? If doing a uninstall is best for the above sudo could you print that please?

Anybody? This is where I ended with Netbook Remix too! :(
Gurus I need some direction? Thanks a million!

HappyFeet
January 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
then

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
enjoy your dvd.

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM
HappyFeet,
Thanks for the reply! I simply ignored the locked up Sun/Java screen and went ahead and applied the 2 sudos you provided but no joy.

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/multiverse Sources
Fetched 198B in 1s (120B/s)
W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org karmic Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
tourdog@PJK3:~$ sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
My reading the mail on this subject has surfaced the "Public Key" and the need for "libdvdcss" but I just don't know how to comply. It would seem that Linux would take a quantum leap into being a major player if the resolution of these problems were made more sure. I see so much prospect in Ubuntu 9.10 if only .....................
TIA !

HappyFeet
January 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
In the first line of code I gave you, are you sure you copy and pasted the whole thing? It scrolls far to the right. Try it again.

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 02:56 AM
HappyFeet,
I'll give it a try!
Thanks for coming back!

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM
HappyFeet,
the first sudo begins ~$ sudo ............................................very long .................................................. ....ends with .... update

the second sudo begins ~$ sudo ................................. ends with libdvdcss2

no go! I am puzzled?! What do you think?

I even did a Clear on the terminal and did it once with a fresh Terminal.

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 04:43 AM
HappyFeet,
I'm doing a shutdown and restart on Karmic in hopes of clearing any loose electrons...................... maybe this will get both your Sudos to enable the Public Key and Unlock........... hope hope hope!

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM
HappyFeet,
I've done a reboot and used both of your sudo's and with the addition of:
"sudo dpkg --configure -a" (recommended)

" apt-get -f install" I added the sudo to it. I am now clear of the Public Key and unlock/lock problem and back to getting past the Sun Micro System:

file edit view terminal help
Package Configuration
Configuring Sun-Java6 -Bin

It is the typical "license" but paging down it there is no "I agree box" anywhere on it. It appears like anyother "agreement but no where is there a place to "agree"

What is up with this last hurtle before achieving DVDs at last!
Thanks again for all your help!

howefield
January 11th, 2010, 05:32 AM
You probably see the <OK> button in the licence window ?

Use the TAB key to highlight it and press the Enter key.

Then on the next screen, use the left arrow key to select <Yes> and press the Enter key.

Tourdog
January 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
HoweField,
You.................................NAILED it !!! Thank You, Thank You !!! :D