PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Acer Aspire one machine

Peterfc
January 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi All

My son has got a machine listed below. He is not happy with the version of Linux installed. Does anybody know if Ubuntu or Xbuntu would be OK to install on this machine.

Brand/Model: Acer Aspire One Series zg5 / AOA110
Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz (2CPUs)
Memory: 1012MB

Dzoks
January 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Xubuntu should run pretty good on this machine. Ubuntu could work but I'm not sure how will it work. Try Ubuntu and if is not good simply instal xubuntu-desktop via terminal.

albert s
January 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Im not sure how relevant this is but I have ubuntu 9.10 running very happily on a P2 450MHz with under 400M of ram and a 12G HDD,
video etc is a bit rubbish, but music browsing etc is spot on.

jacktar
January 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have the same machine and Ubuntu Netbook Remix works fine. Far better than Linpus.
Incidentally, the Aspire One only has one cpu, but I believe it uses multi-threading.

Jose Catre-Vandis
January 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I can confirm that Ubuntu Netbook Remix works fine on an AAOne, I have done a RAM upgrade on mine so that does help a bit. Plenty of help and advice on the forum about getting "everything" to work on the forum.

XP also runs well

Command line install of Ubuntu/Xubuntu works great, and then you can add X and a window manager of your choice, e.g. Openbox, for super speed and minimal bloat.

Also try Crunchbang Linux

kenuf
January 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I have the same machine and Ubuntu Netbook Remix works fine. Far better than Linpus.
Incidentally, the Aspire One only has one cpu, but I believe it uses multi-threading.

+2
I have installed UNR on two of that model. One was a live cd (external USB drive) and the other USB flash created from an UNR live CD boot on another computer.

wilee-nilee
January 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have a AA1 with W7, karmic, and lucid installed, I bumped the ram to 2 gigs, and all programs run fine.

themusicalduck
January 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have normal Ubuntu 9.10 on mine with a gig of ram. Works absolutely fine.

Dayofswords
January 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
i have a aspire one netbook, different model but close, and it does have hyper-threading