PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever buy mandriva powerpack?

mamamia88
January 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
what does it include that other distros don't that you can get for fee?

SuperSonic4
January 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've never bought it but I believe it gives you legal codecs, plugins etc... You also get 12 months free support

mamamia88
January 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
can all this stuff be installed manually?

cascade9
January 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Close, but its not 12 months.

Powerpack is Mandriva and more!...

With the Powerpack you will find:

The brand new and unique Mandriva Smart Desktop technology*
a 3 months period of web support for installation and configuration. You will be helped in discovering Mandriva Linux
a complete range of exclusive softwares, including the Fluendo DVD reader to watch your favorite movies
some trial versions of software certified for Mandriva Linux in order to discover new tools;

http://store.mandriva.com/product_info.php?cPath=149&products_id=479

Edit-
Box version: By choosing the box version you will receive a 2010 box including a manual (300 pages), the TUX stickers set and the slim pack 2010 with 2 DVD s, 32 & 64-bit.

A _manual_? Wow, its like the god part of the 80s, all over again!

starcannon
January 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I had the Silver Level Membership for a couple years way back when.
If I were still with Mandrake/Mandriva, I'd continue with that level of paid support; I felt like I got my monies worth out of it. Legal codecs, some human interaction etc...

TeaAge
January 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
can all this stuff be installed manually?
For sure.
With the DVD you have a complete package selection during the installation and there are also restricted repositories which you can add as a powerpack-owner. This will give you update to these restricted software and sometimes brings you additional software.

I bought the powerpack subscription which costs 79$. That gives you the ability to download 12 months all powerpack versions you want to and as often as you want. But you don't get support or an manual.

The offer is not that bad but only for those who want to support Linux or need the restricted software (legal DVD-Player and codecs).

Regards,
TeaAge

Exodist
January 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I had the Silver Level Membership for a couple years way back when.
If I were still with Mandrake/Mandriva, I'd continue with that level of paid support; I felt like I got my monies worth out of it. Legal codecs, some human interaction etc...
Indeed, I enjoyed the same with Redhat, Mandrake and SuSE before they all went open and codec free.