PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dualboot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.10

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I had Windows Vista on my laptop and then installed Ubuntu 8.10 on the D: drive. When I started the computer, it gave me the option to choose Vista or Ubuntu. That was working fine until I upgraded Vista to Windows 7. Now when i turn on the computer it boots straight into Windows. Is there any way to get it back to giving me the option of choosing an Operating System? Or is there a way to recover my data from the 'ubuntu' folder that was created in windows and then restoring that data to a new install of Ubuntu?

Elieser
January 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have the same problem, installed Windows 7, then installed Ubuntu. But I never receive the screen where I can choose which OS to start up. Simply starts up in win7.

kansasnoob
January 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I had Windows Vista on my laptop and then installed Ubuntu 8.10 on the D: drive. When I started the computer, it gave me the option to choose Vista or Ubuntu. That was working fine until I upgraded Vista to Windows 7. Now when i turn on the computer it boots straight into Windows. Is there any way to get it back to giving me the option of choosing an Operating System? Or is there a way to recover my data from the 'ubuntu' folder that was created in windows and then restoring that data to a new install of Ubuntu?

This should be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

kansasnoob
January 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have the same problem, installed Windows 7, then installed Ubuntu. But I never receive the screen where I can choose which OS to start up. Simply starts up in win7.

Your situation seems different because you installed Ubuntu after installing Win 7, eh?

You also don't mention what version of Ubuntu?

The OP has 8.10.

I would suggest starting your own new thread and providing more details. It might be necessary to see the reults of The Boot Info Script as described here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
This should be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Thanks for that link.
I did try follow something similar to that earlier and it did not work.
I tried again now and did the following:
Booted from CD.
Chose the option: "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"
At the Ubuntu desktop, I opened a terminal from the menu
Typed 'sudo grub'
The following came up: minimal bash-like line editing is supported...
Typed 'find /boot/grub/stage1'
It said: Error 15 File not found

This is the same thing that happened earlier and I cant understand why?

kansasnoob
January 10th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that link.
I did try follow something similar to that earlier and it did not work.
I tried again now and did the following:
Booted from CD.
Chose the option: "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"
At the Ubuntu desktop, I opened a terminal from the menu
Typed 'sudo grub'
The following came up: minimal bash-like line editing is supported...
Typed 'find /boot/grub/stage1'
It said: Error 15 File not found

This is the same thing that happened earlier and I cant understand why?

Are you sure you have Ubuntu 8.10 and not 9.10?

Karmic (9.10) fresh installs now have grub2 and the grub shell is deprecated.

If you're unsure just post the results of the Boot Info Script:

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Are you sure you have Ubuntu 8.10 and not 9.10?

Karmic (9.10) fresh installs now have grub2 and the grub shell is deprecated.

If you're unsure just post the results of the Boot Info Script:

Ok heres the results attached

ajgreeny
January 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I assume from this that you used wubi to install ubuntu, rather like another application inside your windows system. If I am right, a lot of what you have been told here will not apply, as you will not have a separate ubuntu partition. I hope the ubuntu folder you say was in windows is still there after your upgrade to windows 7, but unfortunately I do not know how to enable your recovery of that folder and its files, though I am pretty sure there is a fairly simply way to do so.

EDIT:
OK, I've just read the output from your boot info script and was correct, you used wubi. I have no idea if this works or not as I know almost nothing about using wubi, nor the files it produces in windows, but see if you can still see the folder ubuntu, and if so see if you can navigate down to ubuntu/disks/home/username. That may be your ubuntu home files and folders, but for all I know this may be an encrypted filesystem of some sort that windows makes, and it may all be undecipherable from within windows. Worth a try though.

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I don't if this will help or not but I've been seeing lots of threads about wubi installs crashing after 9.10 update and this seems to work:

See post #8
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1377175

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I assume from this that you used wubi to install ubuntu, rather like another application inside your windows system. If I am right, a lot of what you have been told here will not apply, as you will not have a separate ubuntu partition. I hope the ubuntu folder you say was in windows is still there after your upgrade to windows 7, but unfortunately I do not know how to enable your recovery of that folder and its files, though I am pretty sure there is a fairly simply way to do so.

When I installed, I did it from the cd inside windows (I think) and after clicking install a box came up, where I could choose where to install ( I chose d:) and to chose the size and a username and password ( As far as I can remember)
And yes that ubuntu folder is still there.

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM

EDIT:
OK, I've just read the output from your boot info script and was correct, you used wubi. I have no idea if this works or not as I know almost nothing about using wubi, nor the files it produces in windows, but see if you can still see the folder ubuntu, and if so see if you can navigate down to ubuntu/disks/home/username. That may be your ubuntu home files and folders, but for all I know this may be an encrypted filesystem of some sort that windows makes, and it may all be undecipherable from within windows. Worth a try though.

I can get into that ubuntu folder but can only go as far as ubuntu/disks. Dont see any home folder there - all i can see is boot, shared, root.disk, and swap.disk

PRC09
January 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I think when you do a Win 7 upgrade over a Vista install it asks at some point if you wish to save your files for Vista or not.When it saves them it will create a folder called win.old or windows.old on your C drive....If I remember correctly.I am assuming that all the Vista files and folders including the Ubuntu folder would be in that file in Win7......

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I think when you do a Win 7 upgrade over a Vista install it asks at some point if you wish to save your files for Vista or not.When it saves them it will create a folder called win.old or windows.old on your C drive....If I remember correctly.I am assuming that all the Vista files and folders including the Ubuntu folder would be in that file in Win7......

I'm sure that does happen - but ubuntu was installed on my D drive which was left untouched after upgrading - so its all still there

kansasnoob
January 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM

EDIT:

I'm in the same boat. I don't know Wubi well enough to be of any help, sorry.

PRC09
January 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Sorry, missed the D: part....

PRC09
January 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Dont Know if this will help but this is a similar scenario,read it all before using any of the commands tho.....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1007816

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Dont Know if this will help but this is a similar scenario,read it all before using any of the commands tho.....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1007816

Well I followed the instructions and for the first time for me something actually worked!
Now thankfully I have all my files back.
Thank you very much for the link

PRC09
January 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Your welcome.....

CEW11
January 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
now just is it possible to copy the files to a usb - when I tried it wont allow me - says I dont have permissions: when i right click and enter permissions it says im not the owner so i cant change permissions

PRC09
January 11th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I dont know what commands you are using but you may have to use sudo in front of the command to enable you to copy them to another location.....

CEW11
January 11th, 2010, 09:13 AM
thanks that worked