PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Openshot Video editor?

sudoer541
January 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Based on your experience, do you think Open shot is the best video editor on Linux?
Dont forget to download the newest 1.0 version, you will LOVE IT!!!
to download click on my sig!

underquark
January 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'll let you know when I get it to work.

Arthur_D
January 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Last time I tried, (some months ago) it was pretty unstable. I've read that development goes fast, so I might try it again, though I don't edit much video anyway.

Excedio
January 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I would vote on the poll, but the choices annoy me...sorry...

That being said, I really do love the program. Didn't know until just now that 1.0 had been released. Will definately be testing it out. Hopefully the bugs that I was having will no longer be. :-)

L4U
January 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I voted it the best, but just cause I think it's the best video editor on Linux, doesn't mean it's a great video editor. I still think all Linux VE's lag behind MS MovieMaker.

I like both OpenShot and Kdenlive. You could argue Kdenlive is better, but for how recent the Openshot project has been around comparatively, I'd give the edge to Openshot.

The one thing I really don't like on both is their funky text editor. MovieMaker's text editor ruled.

Video editing for Linux still lags in general.

adeypoop
January 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
i've been having problems with OpenShot crashing all the time, to the point where it was almost unusable. Having said that I thought the UI was nice and the functionality (if it worked) was very good. I have heard the team behind VideoLan are now working on an editor too. I'm looking forward to the day where video editing is possible in Linux. OpenShot is definately one to keep an eye on.

L4U
January 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
i've been having problems with OpenShot crashing all the time, to the point where it was almost unusable.
If you have 9.10 (Karmic), you can add their PPA and install it easily through your package manager if you haven't already:

http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/ppa-instructions.html

It's been very stable for me installing it this way.

murderslastcrow
January 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Last time I tried it was with Karmic and it broke a few packages and crashed every time it started.

So really, I can't give it much concrete review. However, the fact that they have their own icons and they're really freaking shiny kinda' bothers me. I hope they let you use icons from your GTK theme in a newer release.

If nothing else, I will try it in Lucid and see if it's worth switching from KDenLive.

phillychease
January 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
it wouldnt install for me. it was missing something...

sudoer541
January 11th, 2010, 12:26 AM
it wouldnt install for me. it was missing something...

just download all the dependencies and install them one by one and it will work.

L4U
January 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I just went to start OpenShot and it wouldn't.

I checked their site and 1.0 is now out (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2010/01/openshot-10-has-arrived.html).

I do remember some auto updates for OpenShot in the last couple of days that I'm assuming were upgrades to 1.0.

I uninstalled OpenShot, then reinstalled it via their PPA method (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/ppa-instructions.html), but it still won't open after install. :(

Is this happening to anyone else on Karmic?

L4U
January 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I reinstalled OpenShot 1.0 manually (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/download.html) and now it works. Weird.

hoppipolla
January 11th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I haven't really used it too much. Is it better than kdenlive and stuff then?

juancarlospaco
January 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I want to learn how to make a Python GUI like that... :)

sudoer541
January 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I think it would be cool if open shot was on a super deb so we could avoid installing multiple packages.

NoaHall
January 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I think it would be cool if open shot was on a super deb so we could avoid installing multiple packages.

No. That's not how GNU/Linux works. Bad idea.

Arthur_D
January 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Okay, tried OpenShot 1.0. Still lots of stability issues. Could be the fault of my system though, since sound is quite often crashing on me with 9.10. If 10.04 doesn't fix this, I'll go back to 9.04 where all was fine with sound etc.

Thelasko
January 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Well, I've just tried it on my old Hardy box. It seems stable, but I can't get the markers where I want them. It doesn't seem to be frame accurate.