PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Out of range error on upgrade to 9.1

gqqser
January 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I installed ubuntu 9.04 on a 2.1 Ghz Hp Pavillion Desktop that had a Nvidia GeForce 7600 graphics card installed. All was well and I decided to up grade to 9.1. Everything seem to go well except upon reboot when the screen went black and the monitor went "out of range".
I tried to use the standard video port on the motherboard of the computer because I thought that maybe it was a driver issue....to no avail.

I am running a Veiwsonic VG910b monitor if it matters.

any suggestion would be welcomed

Thanks

gqqser
January 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I think this problem did physical damage to the monitor. Now the monitor won't even say out of range. I then plugged the monitor into my laptop and nothing. This is a relatively new monitor.

any suggestions?

hotweld79
January 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I am recently installed 8.10 with the same error on startup. I am also running a 7600gs. The problem generally went away after I installed the latest proprietary driver, but I still receive this error when I try to run some full-screen games.

No idea what the issue is, but I figure we're in the same boat here.

gqqser
January 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, here's an upate:

I finally ended up troubleshooting it. It seems that two things took place.

1. My cord seem to go "bad" over night. No idea why, nothing changed from the night before till the morning...go figure.

2. I pulled my Nvidia GeForce 7600 graphics card and put a new cord on the mother board video adapter. This seemed to get the video back on and running so I can at least try troubleshooting the problem some more.

I need to test the video card to see if that went bad now...although I have not quite worked out how. any suggestions would be nice.

I will keep you informed

Thanks GQQSER