PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Video/Disappearing Media Players

Sorceror71
January 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm new to linux and am using Ubuntu 9.10 dual booted with XP on a laptop. Whenever I try to play any video files, even just bog standard avi files, the media player just shuts down and disappears. This has happened with the movie player that comes with the OS as well as VLC. I also tried out Dragon Player and the files seem to load up and when played the timeline slider just skips across to the end in about 5 seconds but no picture is shown during this time. The codecs all appear to be installed fine even though I know that VLC doesn't require them. My video card is ATI and I know that it works fine as these files play alright when booted up into XP, Hi-Def included. Any ideas out there on this?

uptwobucks
January 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I had this problem after installing desktop cube. If you have installed desktop cube, disable it by right clicking on the desktop then click "change desktop background", then "visual effects". Select "none" to see if this corrects the problem. I am able to play movie files by disabling it.

If you have not installed desktop cube, then I cannot help you, must be other issues.