PDA

View Full Version : My Beans are hidden!

tuahaa
January 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Is it true that some people hide their post count so they don't look like nerds?

Just askin:confused:

scouser73
January 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Probably

aysiu
January 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
If your primary concern is avoiding any appearance of being a "nerd," signing up for a Linux forum isn't really the best strategy.

People can have a lot of reasons for hiding beans. I hide mine so people won't think I know more than I really do. Sometimes new users mistake high post counts for expert knowledge.

pwnst*r
January 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe.

Joeb454
January 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think people hide it "to stop them looking like nerds" as you put it.

Hiding post count is just personal preference :)

dragos240
January 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think people hide it "to stop them looking like nerds" as you put it.

Hiding post count is just personal preference :)

Yay you got your old avatar back!

John Bean
January 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Sometimes new users mistake high post counts for expert knowledge.

Or indeed the exact opposite. A low-volume poster can have a level of experience that is not reflected in his "bean count" - which as you rightly say is given undue prominence by some. IMO it's an irrelevant distraction from the value (or otherwise) of the opinion on offer so I hid it simply because I could.

That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it ;-)

ctrlmd
January 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
maybe because it's not an important thing to care for

nothingspecial
January 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
If your primary concern is avoiding any appearance of being a "nerd," signing up for a Linux forum isn't really the best strategy.

People can have a lot of reasons for hiding beans. I hide mine so people won't think I know more than I really do. Sometimes new users mistake high post counts for expert knowledge.

As I`ve pointed out before though, you are defeating the purpose of that aslong as users like myself don`t hide their beans.

You clearly know far more than me, yet I look like I know a lot, compared to you.......while your beans are hidden.

So it doesn`t work.

NoaHall
January 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
As I`ve pointed out before though, you are defeating the purpose of that aslong as users like myself don`t hide their beans.

You clearly know far more than me, yet I look like I know a lot, compared to you.......while your beans are hidden.

So it doesn`t work.

You know, just because he's a mod doesn't mean he knows a lot :) Sucking up doesn't always get you ahead :)

Frak
January 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Because I do.

cascade9
January 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
You can hide the beancount, but you cant hide the titles (e.g. "Quad Shot of Ubuntu") and you cant hide the changing beans/cups/etc. If you take notice, you can figure out within a resonable margin what someones post count is. (Like I've said before, after xxxx posts you can put whatever title you want up)

Titles = defacto beancount.

Except for those damned mods/admins/staff who can put up whatever title they want. I've always wondered if you can tell the beancount in that instance from the cups, ubuntu symbols etc but I've never bothered figuring it out.....cause like other people have said in this thread, all the beancount means is how much they have posted, its not any reliable way to gauge knowledge, skillz, etc. ;)

Edit @ Frak- "The emu says rawr." LOL. They actually don't, but its hard to describe the sound they do make.

nothingspecial
January 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Who want`s to get a head? I`ve already got one.

And I wasn`t sucking up to HER, I just think hiding beans is stupid.

Either beans or no beans in my opinion.

I thought the thanks utility was a better measure.

Frak
January 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
And I wasn`t sucking up to HER

Hate to burst your bubble, but Aysiu is a dude.

nothingspecial
January 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Oh well

*****POP******

NoaHall
January 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Who want`s to get a head?

I really didn't mean it in that way...

xpod
January 10th, 2010, 09:21 PM

You`re too modest by far.;)

OT.
I hid mine years ago now(wow)because my posting seemed to be in 5th gear most of the time while my brain sat idling in neutral and unlike the modest poster above i genuinely dont know that much.
The only difference between now and then is i can use Google a damn site better than i could back then.

Gizenshya
January 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Sucking up doesn't always get you ahead :)

You must know some very selfish men.

koleoptero
January 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I hide my beans so that others don't pay much attention to what I say.

t0p
January 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
You can hide the beancount, but you cant hide the titles (e.g. "Quad Shot of Ubuntu") and you cant hide the changing beans/cups/etc. If you take notice, you can figure out within a resonable margin what someones post count is. (Like I've said before, after xxxx posts you can put whatever title you want up)

Titles = defacto beancount.

Except for those damned mods/admins/staff who can put up whatever title they want. I've always wondered if you can tell the beancount in that instance from the cups, ubuntu symbols etc but I've never bothered figuring it out.....cause like other people have said in this thread, all the beancount means is how much they have posted, its not any reliable way to gauge knowledge, skillz, etc. ;)

If you want to know someone's bean count, all you gotta do is click on his username, select to view public profile then click on the 'Statistics' tab. Lots of lovely numbers there just ripe for the looking at.

I hid mine years ago now

Years ago? But I don't think it's been years since the bean-hiding feature was added. Maybe a year or so...

RedSquirrel
January 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Years ago? But I don't think it's been years since the bean-hiding feature was added. Maybe a year or so...

The feature was available for a while (years ago), then it went away, then it came back. ;)

xpod
January 10th, 2010, 11:27 PM

I`m sure i changed it during my first year or so, which would indeed make it "years".....not many of course but still years.
Or is my memory really that bad?:(
The powers that be would need to let us know for sure when it was implemented but i`m sure it`s been here most of the time i have, if not all of it.

alexfish
January 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
my beans may have been hidden for 30 years

does that make me Nerdy . where the y means more than 1 year

virusiidx
January 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Most forums seem to only take you serious if you have a lot of posts. Not saying it's done here, but I'm used to just hiding it since I don't post as much.

sdowney717
January 11th, 2010, 01:17 AM
perhaps \\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

new mods are given a 'bean boost' to look like they know something.

Joeb454
January 11th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The powers that be would need to let us know for sure when it was implemented but i`m sure it`s been here most of the time i have, if not all of it.

It was around originally, a forum upgrade last year meant it was either disabled or non-functioning (I'm unsure which), but it was brought back a number of months ago now :)

new mods are given a 'bean boost' to look like they know something.

They're really not - trust me ;)

Frak
January 11th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I've noticed that. Before sombody becomes a mod, they have, say, 1,000 beans. After they become a mod, they skyrocket up to 5,000-7,000. Not claiming anything, but it happens.

Chris Edgell
January 11th, 2010, 02:32 AM
You guys* are too funny! LOL *Disclaimer - "guys" use is non-gender specific.

xpod
January 11th, 2010, 09:33 AM
It was around originally, a forum upgrade last year meant it was either disabled or non-functioning (I'm unsure which), but it was brought back a number of months ago now :)

I wasn`t too sure if it had been the beans or the "thank you" system that had came and went...all i remember is having loads of one and very few of the other.

cascade9
January 11th, 2010, 09:59 AM
If you want to know someone's bean count, all you gotta do is click on his username, select to view public profile then click on the 'Statistics' tab. Lots of lovely numbers there just ripe for the looking at.

Heh, for some reason I thought that where it said "Total Posts" it was actual total posts, not the beancount (because beancount does not = total posts, since post in the cafe do not count in the beancount) Just checked and I was wrong.*hell just froze over LMAO*

~sHyLoCk~
January 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
muahahaha! My beans are a secret!:mrgreen:

amitabhishek
January 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
my beans may have been hidden for 30 years

does that make me nerdy . Where the y means more than 1 year

lmao!!!:p

xpod
January 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
muahahaha! My beans are a secret!:mrgreen:

What....all 420 of them?;)

~sHyLoCk~
January 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
What....all 420 of them?;)

shhh :P

Elfy
January 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've noticed that. Before sombody becomes a mod, they have, say, 1,000 beans. After they become a mod, they skyrocket up to 5,000-7,000. Not claiming anything, but it happens.

Many of them will be spam bans as hey count it seems- I get loads of PMs too as I receive PMs for threads I post in (no idea how to only get them from support threads) that doesn't make me popular either :)

tuahaa
January 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm a nerd and I'm proud! All my friends are nerds, and I don't care. Nerds are nicer people anyway:D

wojox
January 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM

That's funny. :P

lisati
January 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I hide my been count to help avoid looking more knowledgable than I really am. And I often get my beans from Mrs Lisati when she thinks I'm not behaving myself. :)

I've also disabled PMs from people other than the mods & contacts to help avoid support requests coming in by PM. I'd rather have support questions come in through normal threads just in case a second opinion is called for......