PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, please explain this!

rudi
February 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
I was bored so i was surfing a bit, then i came to the site NetCraft. You can check the uptime of a website and see the operating system. For fun i did a check for ubuntuforums.org.... i was shocked!!! http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gif

Ubuntuforums runs on Fedora!!
Apache/2.0.51 (Fedora) 21-Dec-2004 66.246.118.210

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ubuntuforums.org

(or is this because of the lack of raid-5 support of ubuntu (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13004 ......please?!)

Titeuf
February 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, ... It's all the same: Linux.
Just be happy it doesn't run on Windows Server ;)

eBopBob
February 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, ... It's all the same: Linux.
Just be happy it doesn't run on Windows Server ;)
lol - But still, it would be very nice if the Ubuntu forums ran on Ubuntu - It's a bit like selling a BMW in an Audi showroom... I mean, they all are German cars. ;)

No, but more seriously, it is true, Fedora is still Linux and Fedora and Ubuntu are claimed to be very similar (Except for obvious differences like one being based on Red Hat and the other based on Debian).

But also, I've heard however have no idea if it's true, that Ubuntu does not come with the needed packages and all to be used on a server and that all the needed items would have to be downloaded, etc. - Is this true?

However, being even more serious, you have to take into account the fact that not many (If any - TBH I don't know of any) major web hosting companies or dedicated server companies offer Ubuntu - It's always RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, FreeBSD, Windows and possibly some others. However though the norm for web hosting servers is Fedora/CentOS/RHEL.
No idea where the Ubuntu website is hosted, however I wouldn't blame them, however their web host!

Titeuf
February 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Apache is included with Ubuntu, so you can use it as a server.
But Ubuntu is a rather new distro, just give it some time.

jdodson
February 6th, 2005, 03:13 AM
ubuntu-geek works for a webhosting company. the web hosting company uses red hat enterprise gnu/linux. ubuntu-geek uses his company to host this site.

fedora core is made from the same parts as ubuntu. they are just different in terms of package management and some development philosophy... ok maybe some major development philosophy.

-jon

Jad
February 6th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Well, it might be the availability of the distro installating and management in the data center side.

Jspired
February 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Exactly, when hosting, you generally can't specify "Ubuntu." You have to go with what they offer.

Jad
February 6th, 2005, 09:19 AM
also most of today hosting business, are familiar with Cpanel, Directadmin which are friendly with RPM based packages distro's, they are not friendly with .deb
and most of todays sys admin in datacenter are "Control panel admins" not a reall system admins.
its just an opinion! DONT HIT ME

rudi
February 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
LOL ! I thought ubuntu forums ran on a dedicated server, in the ubuntu server park, next to ubuntulinux.org and ftp sites. That's why i thought it was funny to see that this site is hosted on a fedora system.

Well, it might be the availability of the distro installating and management in the data center side.
If you have a dedicated server aren't you free to install whatever OS you like?

Jad
February 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Well, yes you are free to install the OS you want, but form a list of supported OS's in the data center.

rudi
February 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Well, yes you are free to install the OS you want, but form a list of supported OS's in the data center.Give those guys at the server center a Ubuntu crash course so they can support it http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif

az
February 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM
1- "or is this because of the lack of raid-5 support of ubuntu"

Ubuntu does support raid-5, it is just not easy to implement mounting root under raid-5.

2- Ubuntulinux runs Warty. Ubuntuforums as well as all the other forums (german, french...) are community-based operations.

3- Ubuntu main contains apache2, php4, Mysql, Postgresql and a whole lot of stuff to run a server.