PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Debian/Ubuntu Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

botfish
January 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I am creating a .deb package for application I am developing.

I will be installing the:

executable in /usr/bin/<package-name>/
documentation in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>/
man pages in /usr/share/man/<package-name>/

My package requires a XSD (XML Schema Document) for correct operation. This XSD is fixed and will not change.

Where, in the standard Debian/Ubuntu Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, is the most appropriate place to install the XSD file?

Regards

nvteighen
January 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM

My package requires a XSD (XML Schema Document) for correct operation. This XSD is fixed and will not change.

Where, in the standard Debian/Ubuntu Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, is the most appropriate place to install the XSD file?

Regards

I'd place it in /usr/share/<package-name>... another possible location is /etc/<package-name> if the XSD is meant to be like a configuration file.

diesch
January 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM

/usr/share/doc/<package-name>/ is fine, /usr/bin/<package-name>/ and /usr/share/man/<package-name>/ aren't compatible to any standard. Put the executables in /usr/bin/ and the man pages in /usr/share/man/<section>/ instead

I

/usr/share/<packagename>/

botfish
January 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks!