PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet connection

flamefox_9
January 10th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hey, i dont know if this is the right area to post this thread... but ill ask anyway. I have just installed ubuntu recently, but i cant connect to the wireless internet anywhere. I dont know what the problem is and i have already tried connecting in the live cd. The windows 7 on my other partition can connect just fine and that confuses me even more! Can somebody tell me whats wrong? Thanks in advance!

Ishwon
January 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Did you verify if your wireless adaptor is installed?

Can you provide more information on your adaptor?

derekmbarnes
January 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run this:

lspci -v | less

This will give you a comprehensive list of every PCI device built into your machine. Your wireless adapter should be listed at or near the bottom as "network controller;" if you don't see a line about the device driver, it's probably missing and needs to be installed. (Drivers don't work across platforms; that's why it works in Windows.)

Post the output you get here and we'll see if we can point you in the right direction.

flamefox_9
January 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run this:

lspci -v | less

This will give you a comprehensive list of every PCI device built into your machine. Your wireless adapter should be listed at or near the bottom as "network controller;" if you don't see a line about the device driver, it's probably missing and needs to be installed. (Drivers don't work across platforms; that's why it works in Windows.)

Post the output you get here and we'll see if we can point you in the right direction.
It is installed, but after a hardware driver window appeared, i dont even think that is the problem. It said that i was using a proprietary driver and it was causing problems. Do you think this is it? Oh, and I couldnt post the output or get any information of my adapter... sorry.