PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Installation, live boot, and other problems

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I just reformatted my laptop completely in order to setup a fresh Windows 7 / Ubuntu dual boot.

A quick overview of my laptop specifications:
Intel T9400 Processor (Dual 2.53GHz)
3GB of RAM
320GB Hard drive
Nvidia 9600M GT graphics card (512MB RAM)
I installed windows and used it to set up the partitions as:

45GB for Windows 7
35GB unformatted space for Ubuntu to be installed later
218GB Storage space

I then boot from my Ubuntu 9.10 CD and run the disk check thing with no errors found. I continue on to test out how it runs with the "Try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer" option. After about 3 minutes of the pulsating Ubuntu logo and a seemingly inactive CD drive. The screen then changes to just black & white text where it displays something like this, amongst other things:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091028.5)]/ Karmic main restricted
Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set.
W: Skipping non-existing file /cdrom/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages
W: Skipping non-existing file /cdrom/dists/karmic/restricted/binary-i386/Packages
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/apparmor ...
/etc/rcS.d/S37apparmor
(Reading database ... [ 184.227141] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1413068
[ 184.277340] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 353267
[ 191.230903] end_request: I/O error on device sr0, sector 1413068
[ 191.231081] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 353267

The few lines at the end repeat several more times before it either powers off the computer or finally starts loading up Ubuntu very slowly with the graphical interface alone taking a good 30 seconds or so just to finish loading some of the icons.

I then tried booting from the disk and selecting the install option. I get the same thing only when I get to the install options the partition manager only has the options "override windows 7 (loader)" ans "use entire disk". It doesn't show any of the partitions I had setup previously on the windows disk due to the partition manager on the Ubuntu disk lacking the ability to do anything useful at all (in my experience).

I then try boot from my 9.04 disk and everything works fine apart from the partition manager not showing any of the partitions making it impossible for me to install either version without destroying the rest of my computer...

A summary of my problem is that my 9.10 disk errors upon installation/boot and both my 9.10 and 9.04 disks cannot be installed without destroying windows as it does not display the partitions correctly (as far as my unexperienced eyes can tell)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Have you tried using a usb drive instead of a disc? That should at least make things go more quickly. I would test the discs you are using, it sounds like they might be corrupted. Alternately for partitioning you can use gparted in a live environment. It's supposed to be more reliable than the install partitioner.

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Looking again at your post, it looks like your installing 32 bit? I'm betting your dual core is 64 bit.

phillw
January 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I just reformatted my laptop completely in order to setup a fresh Windows 7 / Ubuntu dual boot.

A quick overview of my laptop specifications:
Intel T9400 Processor (Dual 2.53GHz)
3GB of RAM
320GB Hard drive
Nvidia 9600M GT graphics card (512MB RAM)
I installed windows and used it to set up the partitions as:

45GB for Windows 7
35GB unformatted space for Ubuntu to be installed later
218GB Storage space

I then boot from my Ubuntu 9.10 CD and run the disk check thing with no errors found. I continue on to test out how it runs with the "Try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer" option. After about 3 minutes of the pulsating Ubuntu logo and a seemingly inactive CD drive. The screen then changes to just black & white text where it displays something like this, amongst other things:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091028.5)]/ Karmic main restricted
Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set.
W: Skipping non-existing file /cdrom/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages
W: Skipping non-existing file /cdrom/dists/karmic/restricted/binary-i386/Packages
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/apparmor ...
/etc/rcS.d/S37apparmor
(Reading database ... [ 184.227141] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1413068
[ 184.277340] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 353267
[ 191.230903] end_request: I/O error on device sr0, sector 1413068
[ 191.231081] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 353267
The few lines at the end repeat several more times before it either powers off the computer or finally starts loading up Ubuntu very slowly with the graphical interface alone taking a good 30 seconds or so just to finish loading some of the icons.

I then tried booting from the disk and selecting the install option. I get the same thing only when I get to the install options the partition manager only has the options "override windows 7 (loader)" ans "use entire disk". It doesn't show any of the partitions I had setup previously on the windows disk due to the partition manager on the Ubuntu disk lacking the ability to do anything useful at all (in my experience).

I then try boot from my 9.04 disk and everything works fine apart from the partition manager not showing any of the partitions making it impossible for me to install either version without destroying the rest of my computer...

A summary of my problem is that my 9.10 disk errors upon installation/boot and both my 9.10 and 9.04 disks cannot be installed without destroying windows as it does not display the partitions correctly (as far as my unexperienced eyes can tell)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Win7 does some 'wonderful' things ... For a blow by blow method of doing it, Head over to here --> http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony Plenty of talk you through & screen shots.

Regards,

Phill.

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 12:58 AM
@ warfacegod

No I haven't tried a usb stick and i don't think there is any point as i have installed 9.04 successfully a while ago as i forgot to mention

Edit - Also when I downloaded the Ubuntu torrent uTorrent did a hash check once it's completed and I did a disk verification when I burned the ISO + the disk check function after booting so the chances of the disk being corrupt is very little

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM
@ Phillw

Hmmm thanks I'll have a read through that and maybe if it comes to it I'll just revert back to 9.04.

The errors I've been getting I believe have nothing to do with the fact that windows is there so it still leaves the big problem with 9.10

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Warfacegod, this is the processor I've got: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL3BX

Could you have a look and tell me if I'm using the wrong thing?

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah, your processor is 64 bit. When you downloaded 9.10 did you tick the box for 64 bit? I saw, in several places, in your 1st post "i386" and immediately thought 32 bit but I don't know that you're using a 32 bit disc. I would download again (make sure 64 bit).

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 01:27 AM
@ warfacegod

I left it ticked on 32-bit. I don't understand why I need the 64-bit one when I have had the 32-bit version of 9.04 working before.
Hmmm oh well computers are strange creatures.

Another 7 hours of downloading the 64 version and I'll get to see if it pays off.

Thanks for all the help

Over and Out.

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
7 Hours!? Are you on dial-up? Here's a thread that might help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

I've seen a 32 bit 8.10 run Live just fine and a 9.10 not and vice versa. So, yeah, chalk it up to "strange creatures" designed by stranger creatures.

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Not dialup, 256kbps download 56kbps upload. Which is, no kidding, basically the best internet we can get here without hitting up ridiculous prices and useless limits. Welcome to Australia.

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Looks like The Down Under's net is under developed. That thread still might be worth reading. It might help you utilize your 256 line better.

BrendanST
January 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I download everything big with a Free Download Manager as it's the only way I can get it to download consinstantly at maximum speed.

warfacegod
January 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Are you, by chance, trying to do a wubi install?