PDA

View Full Version : Joysticks and such - are they still awful?

zami
January 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
The last not-a-keyboard-or-mouse controller I used was the "SpaceOrb" in the mid-ninties. That thing was cool... short lived product line though, and my personal one only lived about a year. Before and after 'the orb' I probably went through 10 joysticks and they all stunk. Badly.

But, that WAS 15 years ago... has the technology improved any?

Are there any solid gamepads or joysticks that work happily under Linux all y'all could recommend?

Right now I'm just looking for a way to make SuperTux2 and Secret Maryo Chronicles a little easier to control - both Linux native, sidescrolling games. But I'd love something that is known to work with (at least some) games running through Wine as well, and/or any of the S/NES emulators.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-zami

squilookle
January 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joysticks! Ahhh, the memories. Haven't used one of those for years, probably more than 15!

I had an Amstrad CPC464, and the joystick was awful. Fond memories nevertheless.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question at all...

blueshiftoverwatch
January 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Are there any solid gamepads or joysticks that work happily under Linux all y'all could recommend?
I've successfully used this (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/controllers/devices/848&cl=us,en) gamepad to play emulators on Linux. I think it was Bsnes, it was great. It's slightly bigger than Sony's Duelshock line of controllers and feels more comfortable to hold.

Although, I tried to play Tribes 2 with it under Windows XP and it didn't work out well at all. Even after trying to calibrate it several times. For example, if I was on a building shooting at an incoming bomber (looking upwards towards the sky) and wanted to look down towards the ground I'd move the analog stick downwards but my character would stop looking downward directly out from me. So I'd have to return the analog stick from the bottom to the center again and than move it downwards to get my character to look downwards.

That being said. I don't know how much of that had to do with the joystick and how much of it was the software's inability to correctly calibrate it. I've never tried to play any other games with it except for PS3 games, which it's designed for and does well at. It plugs into any USB slot, so it's theoretically compatible with any OS.

chriswyatt
January 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I used to have the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback, that was a great piece of kit.

zami
January 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Joysticks! Ahhh, the memories. Haven't used one of those for years, probably more than 15!

I had an Amstrad CPC464, and the joystick was awful. Fond memories nevertheless.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question at all...

HAH! No it wasn't *helpful*, but you well summed up how I feel about joysticks and gamepads. Fond memories of awful products in my glory-days of gaming. Aaaah.

-zami

zami
January 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I've successfully used this (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/controllers/devices/848&cl=us,en) gamepad to play emulators on Linux. I think it was Bsnes, it was great. It's slightly bigger than Sony's Duelshock line of controllers and feels more comfortable to hold.

Although, I tried to play Tribes 2 with it under Windows XP and it didn't work out well at all. Even after trying to calibrate it several times. For example, if I was on a building shooting at an incoming bomber (looking upwards towards the sky) and wanted to look down towards the ground I'd move the analog stick downwards but my character would stop looking downward directly out from me. So I'd have to return the analog stick from the bottom to the center again and than move it downwards to get my character to look downwards.

That being said. I don't know how much of that had to do with the joystick and how much of it was the software's inability to correctly calibrate it. I've never tried to play any other games with it except for PS3 games, which it's designed for and does well at. It plugs into any USB slot, so it's theoretically compatible with any OS.
Thanks! If Logitech gamepads work with Bsnes, well, that's probably all I need. :D And I found a few articles pointing to the programs "joystick" and "jscalibrator" for Linux. Yaaay for USB!

This bit "
That being said. I don't know how much of that had to do with the joystick and how much of it was the software's inability to correctly calibrate it."

Heh!! That's about my recollection of all joysticks and gamepads! I have memories of much teethgnashing over... oh... say, running a DOS or Win3x game in Windows 95 in it's "compatibility" mode, but the joystick software wants to run in Windows 95. Just seemed like it was an endless battle of calibrating and recalibrating. Once I learned how to add "+mlook" to Quake and... that was the end of my enthusiasm for joysticks!

Anyhow I'm off to shop for a USB gamepad.

If I can get this going, my son (7) is going to flip his little lid.
\\:D/

-zami

blueshiftoverwatch
January 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Glad I could be of assistance.

xuCGC002
January 11th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks! If Logitech gamepads work with Bsnes, well, that's probably all I need.

If that's really all you need, then I suggest the Precision:http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/controllers/devices/301&cl=us,en

It's only $10, and it works perfectly for SNES emulation (I use it for PSX emulation and it's a perfect fit).

blueshiftoverwatch
January 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM
If that's really all you need, then I suggest the Precision:http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/controllers/devices/301&cl=us,en

It's only $10, and it works perfectly for SNES emulation (I use it for PSX emulation and it's a perfect fit).
I guess...if you don't care about being wireless.