PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 64-bit

StartedTheFire
January 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm trying to install the 64 bit version of ubuntu 9.10. However, it doesn't seem to want to boot from the disc. No matter what I do it just boots in to the current 32 bit version.

It seems like the disc is geared to work if you have windows but doesn't really want to work with annother ubuntu version. I opened the .exe with wine but it didn't really help since I don't actually have windows anyway.

Could I just wipe the drive or something? How do you do that?

And my computer has 6 mb of ram. If I put the 64-bit version on, I can use all of them, instead of the 4 i'm using now, yes?

theozzlives
January 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to install the 64 bit version of ubuntu 9.10. However, it doesn't seem to want to boot from the disc. No matter what I do it just boots in to the current 32 bit version.

It seems like the disc is geared to work if you have windows but doesn't really want to work with annother ubuntu version. I opened the .exe with wine but it didn't really help since I don't actually have windows anyway.

Could I just wipe the drive or something? How do you do that?

And my computer has 6 mb of ram. If I put the 64-bit version on, I can use all of them, instead of the 4 i'm using now, yes?

What kind of processor do you have? It has to be 64 bit.

StartedTheFire
January 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well the version of vista I had was 64-bit so yeah it'll work.

StartedTheFire
January 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I also have like 4 CPU's or something cool like that.

raymondh
January 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
If your goal is just to maximize the RAM usage ... and you're ok with your 32-bit install ... you may want to investigate/consider the PAE-enabled kernel.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-4gb-ram-limitation-solution/

Back-up your files first.

Raymond

StartedTheFire
January 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
So that won't be any slower than the 64-bit version?

StartedTheFire
January 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Ok, it says about 6mb of ram is free now. Thanks!