PDA

View Full Version : I Converted My Purchased iTunes Music To Non-Protected .OGG Files!

BarfBag
February 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
It's more simple then you think. It requires no extra software. All you do is create an iTunes playlist, put your purchased music in, burn it, then rip it with Grip! You need to change the Artist, Name, and Genre tags with a program like EasyTag. I haven't experienced any loss of sound quality so far.

I can't believe it's that simple. :rolleyes:

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
You can also use MP32ogg. Its in the repositories.
You can use it to convert your MP3s to Ogg Vorbis.
I have tried it on 160 and 192bit MP3s and could not notice any loss in quality.
Cheers,
Joey

mostwanted
February 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I haven't experienced any loss of sound quality so far.

Yes you have.

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
There is always going to be a loss in quality. Much like buying a new set of tires for your car and driving home. They may still look new when you get home, but they were worn some. Same goes for re-encodeing music.
MP32ogg for example, there will be some loss in quality. But, you may not notice it.
Cheers,
Joey

John.Michael.Kane
February 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
@BarfBag so if this can be done with itunes music could it be done with napster?

xequence
February 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Bad idea for people who care about music quality: It is already low quality 128Kbps, so converting it again is not good o_O

Ptero-4
February 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hi SD-Plissken. I don't think it can be done with Napster. The reason is that napster uses a non-standar format with a very restrictive DRM on it. iTMS music can be easily converted b/c it's in the standar MP3 format with only apples DRM added and also the apples DRM is flexible and easy enough to allow unrestricted burning to a CD.

briancurtin
February 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
if you want to downgrade the quality, then by all means use this method. this has been a way to circumvent the protection since day 1.

jakemikey
February 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM
iTMS music can be easily converted b/c it's in the standar MP3 format with only apples DRM added and also the apples DRM is flexible and easy enough to allow unrestricted burning to a CD.

iTunes uses AAC, not MP3.

xequence
February 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hi SD-Plissken. I don't think it can be done with Napster. The reason is that napster uses a non-standar format with a very restrictive DRM on it. iTMS music can be easily converted b/c it's in the standar MP3 format with only apples DRM added and also the apples DRM is flexible and easy enough to allow unrestricted burning to a CD.

Most music stores allow burning to a CD.

And when you burn it takes it from WMA or AAC and makes it WAV, which is unrestricted, for the CD.

And apple does not use MP3.

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Bad idea for people who care about music quality: It is already low quality 128Kbps, so converting it again is not good o_O
I agree.. If its already 128kbps then its already ICK!! Its bad to step in dog poo..

sapo
March 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
I aways have to do the oposite, cause my car cdplayer just plays mp3, so when i download some ogg stuff i need to convert to mp3.

And also, my car cdplayer isnt good playing mp3 that have a bitrate higher that 128k, i think that its buffer is too small, i tryied once to play a 320kbps mp3 there.. man it stopped once in 2 seconds.. it was hell :(

So all my music is in mp3 128k now.

BoyOfDestiny
March 1st, 2006, 03:29 AM
It's more simple then you think. It requires no extra software. All you do is create an iTunes playlist, put your purchased music in, burn it, then rip it with Grip! You need to change the Artist, Name, and Genre tags with a program like EasyTag. I haven't experienced any loss of sound quality so far.

Ehh... I'm not the RIAA, but please don't distribute these re-encoded mp3s or oggs... Don't lower the quality out there ;) I heard a story (I hope it's a lie, but I doubt it) that will make audiophiles cringe. Someone re-encoded all their 128kbps mp3s to 320, in order to increase quality... Please let that be lie...

xequence
March 1st, 2006, 03:31 AM
Someone re-encoded all their 128kbps mp3s to 320, in order to increase quality... Please let that be lie...

O_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^99

The people at futureshop told me to convert all my music to WMA, because it "was half the size but the same bitrate".

MetalMusicAddict
March 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM
I haven't experienced any loss of sound quality so far.

Yes you have.
For you, maybe he should have added "perceptible". No perceptible loss if fine if it makes you happy. ;)

I still dont know why people pay $10 for a lossy iTunes album when for $13 (if you look around) you can buy a CD.:-k

followme
March 1st, 2006, 04:04 AM
For you, maybe he should have added "perceptible". No perceptible loss if fine if it makes you happy. ;)

I still dont know why people pay $10 for a lossy iTunes album when for $13 (if you look around) you can buy a CD.:-k

Because it's cheaper to get the songs you want instead of paying for a whole cd for 1 or 2 songs you like and push skip for the rest. And like you said, "perceptible"

btw, I don't use iTunes or any other dl music site, just wanted to point that out

MetalMusicAddict
March 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM
Singles, your right but thats why I made the distinction and said "album". :)

Oh yea, greetings BarfBag from Glen Burnie. :)

Arktis
March 1st, 2006, 04:19 AM

You know you don't have to actually burn the disc and waste a blank cd-r. Just create an iso and mount it, then rip from the mounted image.

MetalMusicAddict
March 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM
You know you don't have to actually burn the disc and waste a blank cd-r. Just create an iso and mount it, then rip from the mounted image.
Funny. I do that sooo much. It really comes in handy.

BarfBag
March 1st, 2006, 05:12 AM
I'm starting to notice a loss in quality. After listening to the origional copies in Windows, it's painfully obvious. That kinda sucks. I'm getting more and more turned away from iTunes. It seems to be the online music store with the largest selection of music, though. Are there any alternatives that have as good of a selection?

GreyFox503
March 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM
Well, if that's how you define simple...

How many CDs did you burn && re-rip & tag ? One?

I know it seems like the iTunes DRM can be easily circumvented, but completely ignoring the audio information lost in the process, that is extremely time consuming. A good reason not to build your collection in iTunes songs. This does not free you from their clutches.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I believe it's true. I too have purchased from the iTunes music store, and then went on to "liberate" my purchases (through a different method). I will never buy from them again.

Nothing against you, man. But I can't pass this without saying something.

EDIT: Saw your new post.

Are there any alternatives that have as good of a selection?
Ironically, the best way to buy music in 2006 is still in the store on compact disc. Mostly this has to do with the fact that no online music store I know of offers all three of these:

1) High-quality audio
2) Wide selection
3) No DRM

Many offer 1 or 2, but I've yet to see all three. At least CDs give you these (except those nasty new DRMed ones, stay away from those!).

I am aware of allofmp3.com, but question the legality of purchasing there.

bjweeks
March 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Congrast you are breaking the EULA and the law so why pay for music if your going to break the law any ways?

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Congrast you are breaking the EULA and the law so why pay for music if your going to break the law any ways?

Because for certain bands that you truly like you can decide to donate money.

poofyhairguy
March 1st, 2006, 04:00 PM
Is there any place Linux users can download mainstream music that lacks DRM?

I hate iTunes getting people to think any DRM is "fair."

John.Michael.Kane
March 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.commontunes.org/
http://www.mp3tunes.com/
http://magnatune.com/

BarfBag
March 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the links. I'm already a member of MP3Tunes. Do they have a music store? :-k

Is Common Tunes legal in the United States? It just seems a little too good to be true.

bjweeks
March 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Because for certain bands that you truly like you can decide to donate money.

Send them a check cause they get pennys from what your pay in itunes.