PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Needed For Family Tree Project!

Tayl
January 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hey all.

Right, I call upon you mighty intellectuals because I'm, not such a mighty intellectual.

I've got myself a webserver and domain, all up and running. I've been working on a family tree for a considerable amount of time now and I want to put together a website displaying the information that's on the family tree.

I don't suppose any of you know of any programs / methods / ways to build your own family tree using xx program or xx method that'll make it easy to embed it into a webpage and have it display for anyone to see do you? If all else fails I'll simply put it together using Gimp and just host the large image but that'll be a pain to maintain and alter should I need to. That's my fall back. Can anyone else think of an easier way? Or better method to get it displayed on my website? The easier the better too. Because I have to teach this to someone who isn't familiar to web programming what so ever.

Any help with this would be MOST appreciated.

Best regards,

Tayl.

helendel
January 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Never thought about it but I'd be surprised if PAF doesn't have a report form that might be used.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Have you looked at the Genealogy Program GRAMPS?

It can generate HTML pages.

Tayl
January 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Have you looked at the Genealogy Program GRAMPS?

It can generate HTML pages.

Oooh thanks for the suggestion. Using that program name I've done a bit of researching into it and within the documentation I came across a program called: PhpGedView. Looks like a similar program to GRAMPS but one you can run and use via your webserver, which would be ideal if it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm going to test both GRAMPS and PhpGedView and see what I think to them.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Are tere any others that people might know of that haven't been suggested yet?

Regards,

Tayl.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
There is a Perl script that creates HTML webpages it is WebbedGed http://www.rawlins.org/Pedigree/WebbedGed.html.

Since it is Perl, you can customize the code. The Perl script I use was a modification of one of the scripts predecessors. The predecessor is mentioned in the GPL License.

First modification I made was to replace the navigation buttons with my standard navigation header that the rest of my website uses. I also added an "email me" in JavaScript (SPAM deterrent) to the bottom of each page it generates.