PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.5.7 (ubuntuzilla upgrade) does not fully quit / crashes firefox

noob555
January 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I recently upgraded via ubuntuzilla to firefox 3.5.7 and now, every single time I close Firefox, the program seems to crash without quitting completely.

First, I receive an error saying that the program will not close and asks me if I want to Force Quite or Wait for it to close on its own. This has been happening ever since I upgraded to Karmic and if I just wait it usually quits fully after a couple seconds.

Now what happens is this: the window still closes, but if I try to reopen Firefox then I get this error stating that Firefox is already open and therefore cannot be opened again. The only way to get back into Firefox is to restart the entire computer. (Incidentally, this is the same problem that occurs whenever I try to Force Quit Firefox)

This now happens every single time I "close" Firefox.

Does anyone know the source of this error? Or a workaround?

EDIT: SOLVED. DISABLE OR COMPLETELY REMOVE GHOSTERY ADD-ON. note: creating a new profile will effectively do the same thing, and then some.

nanotube
January 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi

could be something with your profile

try starting a fresh profile, and see if the problem goes away.

(to do this, start 'firefox -P' to start the firefox profilemanager, create a new profile, start with that profile, and see if there are any problems quitting.)

noob555
January 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I should mention that a couple other people have mentioned this problem and are posting here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1375930&page=2

noob555
January 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM
oops, posted to wrong place.

nanotube
January 10th, 2010, 12:36 AM
ok, let me know how it goes!

noob555
January 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM
So the new profile works, even after I re-install my addons, theme, etc. I'm not sure what this problem is. Do you know?

p.s. THANK YOU!

nanotube
January 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
So the new profile works, even after I re-install my addons, theme, etc. I'm not sure what this problem is. Do you know?

no idea - there's so much cruft hanging around in the average firefox profile, it's impossible to say offhand. the only way to even get close to finding out is to install a firefox built with debug symbols, then run it through a debugger and try to make sense of what's going on at the time of the crash.

which is what actually may happen, if enough people have this particular problem and someone files a bug and someone who knows what he's doing takes a look at a few debug traces.

but at this point... no, i have to idea :)

p.s. THANK YOU!

you're quite welcome!

noob555
January 10th, 2010, 02:20 AM
So here's what's truly weird. After creating the new profile, I went back to the old one in order to figure out all of my bookmarks, etc. in order to copy them over to the new and ... voila! ... suddenly the old profile is working perfectly again. I have now deleted the new profile that I created and am using my original profile again.

I'm obviously way out of my element here. But from what I can tell, I have returned to my original settings and yet the original problem does not exist anymore. Sooo weird.

nanotube
January 10th, 2010, 02:24 AM
heh yea, weird indeed!

well at least now you know what to do if the problem ever comes back :)

noob555
January 10th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Whatever works, that's my motto. Thanks again.

BikeHelmet
January 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've got the same problem - on three OS's. (Win2k, WinXP, Ubuntu)

If I figure out what's causing it, I'll post back. ;)

Edit: Okay, that didn't take long. It's the ghostery addon. Disable it and restart Firefox (plus kill the process), then re-enable it, and the problem goes away.

nanotube
January 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
bikehelmet: awesome work! :)

nuchdog
October 31st, 2011, 04:22 AM
If you don't have ghostery installed, there are several other reasons this can happen. The most common is that the permissions to your profile file are wrong. Check ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini to make sure that it is read and write enabled for your user. If not:

sudo chmod 777 ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini

Sef
November 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM
Necromancing, so locked.