PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] creating a custimized boot?

BigBuntu
January 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hi - Iḿ new to using this kind of forum so I hope to do this right otherwise forgive me. I currently using Ubuntu 9.10 last update formated with on a ext3 format. I have been a very happy ubuntu user for about 1 year. I have a win7 but I really do not see the point in installing it any more (only when I feel like playing a game).
Any my question:
Some time ago I read somewhere that it is possible to make a customised boot "disk/DVD" so the programs etc. is intallled/deleted like you what from the beginning.
ex. late week one of my harddrives crasched - and therefore I created a new and had to go find everything again. (codecs - program - visulizations and so on) I more or less use the same basic thing everytime for everything to work probably to my liking, but this takes me about a day :((more or less) and this time wasted.

I have tried to seach to findback to this decribtion but with no luck can anyone help me with a cookbook on creating a custimized boot?

aaronp
January 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
You might try AptonCD, which you can use to create a repository on disc/usb stick of all the applications that you desire. You would actually need to install a fresh copy and then use aptoncd to install the packages from the CD/usb without downloading them all (and remembering what they all were!)

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

But, I'd suggest what you are trying to do is create your own Ubuntu distribution which you can install with all of the packages that you want installing at the same time.

This is something that you can do manually and I'm sure there are plenty of guides around. Alternatively there is an app called reconstructor which can reportedly do it for you...I've never delved into this though so not sure how it works:

http://maketecheasier.com/reconstructor-creating-your-own-ubuntu-distribution/2008/07/05

Interested to know how it goes if you do it...good luck.

BigBuntu
January 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Thank you...... this sounds right on the money :wink: I just didn't know what to look for. I will surely give a feedback on my progress. I just need to make the last tweaks before creating a Ubuntu distribution. (it looks pretty straight forward)

aaronp
January 9th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Thank you...... this sounds right on the money :wink: I just didn't know what to look for. I will surely give a feedback on my progress. I just need to make the last tweaks before creating a Ubuntu distribution. (it looks pretty straight forward)

Yeah actually I had a look at that Reconstructor tutorial after I posted my response to you and it looks like a pretty nice app. I might have a play with it one day when I get some time to kill

BigBuntu
January 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Reconstructor - yep that looks interesting – I will give it a shot, but I might get in ”the deep end of the pool” on this one. My knowledge on the system build is very limited so it will probably be hard for me to use. Anyway I appreciate your effort, thanks.

I will see if I have time this weekend for a trial run, time used now is saved later;)

BigBuntu
January 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Okay - i went with the simple solution: APTonCD this is a very simple tool to use. Now I just need to remember regular backup of my data and everything is great.