PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fail to install SPSS with Wine

larrylamsy
January 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi, can some one help?

I am using Dell Notebook model Inspiron 1420. I run Ubuntu 9.04.
I've tried but failed to install SPSS Student Version 16 via Wine.
There is a message saying “the installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try to running installer with the -console or -silent flag”. What is the silent flag?

I am not familiar with command at terminal. Please help.

Many thanks,

Larry Lam

BCtom
January 18th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I've tried for months getting the Window$ version SPSS to run with Linux/Ubuntu. I have SPSS16, but it is student's versions, probebly like yours, but it crashes on registering, and the program never ran in trial--mode. I tried again today when I found out that Wine 1.1.36 supposedly had that bug fixed, but nope--still the same old.

There is a Linux version, starting with SPS16, but I haven't being able to get a hold of it. The fine folks over at SPSS told me that I have to talk to my University Book Store for a copy of it--and the licence. I am willing to pay for it! :/ But the Book Store is so far treating me like a Leper--they have no clue what I'm talking about, or seem to care.

As far as I know, Wine is not SPSS friendly.

So far I'm getting by with "R," but you have to be very careful when handing in assignments if you do projects with it. R read the data I gave it difrently when I did ANOVAs with it. When I confirmed it with the copy of SPSS on campus, it was slightly different. Not good enough if you are a student, or researcher, and your benchmark is in SPSS.

Mark Phelps
January 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Well, if you had bothered to check the WinHQ site first, you would have found the page below indicating that SPSS v16 is rated "garbage" -- meaning, it's NOT going to work regardless of what you do:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1028

larrylamsy
January 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hi, can some one help?

I am using Dell Notebook model Inspiron 1420. I run Ubuntu 9.04.
I've tried but failed to install SPSS Student Version 16 via Wine.
There is a message saying “the installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try to running installer with the -console or -silent flag”. What is the silent flag?

I am not familiar with command at terminal. Please help.

Many thanks,

Larry Lam
Dear all,

I am sorry for this late reply. Thank you very much for your comments on SPSS running on Linux. Having tried so many times, I decided to give up SPSS. Luckly, I learnt that Linux has Gretl. Now I am starting to figure out how the use of Gretl. I hope it can read my data correctly.

Thanks & Regards,

Larry

abhitux
March 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Dear all,

I am sorry for this late reply. Thank you very much for your comments on SPSS running on Linux. Having tried so many times, I decided to give up SPSS. Luckly, I learnt that Linux has Gretl. Now I am starting to figure out how the use of Gretl. I hope it can read my data correctly.

Thanks & Regards,

Larry

There are many ways to install SPSS. Check out this link, if it helps you.

http://bas-r.nl/?p=10