PDA

View Full Version : AWN quirks?

Sicadastra
January 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I've just installed AWN and I find it really nice and helpful. I really like the theme variations I've downloaded, the funny applets such as the comics and the animal farm (even if I already have Wanda), and the media player applet.

However, there are some quirks that are not that easy to ignore. Like:

1. I'm not used to looking at the icons on the dock, but that's just me and I know I can get used to it after some time.

2. I find the reaction time of the program a tad slow. I'm running on Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram so I'm pretty sure it's not my hardware.

3. Another one to blame on my perhaps but I'm a bit blank on looking for other AWN applets.

Can you share your praises and doubts on AWN?

scouser73
January 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I've been using AWN ever since I got into Ubuntu back in 2008 and it's the best dock that I've used. Check this artice about the updated version of AWN: OMG!Ubuntu! Avant Window Navigator (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/awn-new-features-download.html)

The fact that it can be moved around the whole of the screen or onto another monitor [if you have more than one] is amazing.

I don't know why you are having a lapse in programs launching on the dock, I can say that it's something I've never had happen to me, and I'm only on an Intel Celeron D processor.

Anyway, have a look at the article and see if you want to give it a go, I'm made up I did.

NoaHall
January 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I've been using AWN ever since I got into Ubuntu back in 2008 and it's the best dock that I've used. Check this artice about the updated version of AWN: OMG!Ubuntu! Avant Window Navigator (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/awn-new-features-download.html)

The fact that it can be moved around the whole of the screen or onto another monitor [if you have more than one] is amazing.

I don't know why you are having a lapse in programs launching on the dock, I can say that it's something I've never had happen to me, and I'm only on an Intel Celeron D processor.

Anyway, have a look at the article and see if you want to give it a go, I'm made up I did.

It's always worked fine for separate xservers for me.

And performance relies on your graphics card, but more importantly, your driver.

Sicadastra
January 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks for this. :)

f-teem
January 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Been using AWN for some time on Ubuntu,and I liked it :-)

Just a thought about the issue you have,maybe turn off some of the "hover effect's",it can improve performance of the AWN? (although on your PC config is good,and this should be a problem...) :|

p.s.

woo,my first post here!! :)

cenzorrll
January 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
i'm loving using the beta awn right now (the developers combined aspects of both panels and docks, so you can customize it pretty much anywhere in between). the only downside is it's still in beta, so there's still some quirks. but it's quite awesome, i'll attach a pic.

and as far as applets go, make sure you install both the python and c applets, i'm not sure exactly what the names of the packages are, but they're in synaptic (for the released version, not the beta).

Sicadastra
January 11th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Been using AWN for some time on Ubuntu,and I liked it :-)

Just a thought about the issue you have,maybe turn off some of the "hover effect's",it can improve performance of the AWN? (although on your PC config is good,and this should be a problem...) :|

p.s.

woo,my first post here!! :)

Perhaps, although I think in general it's that I never got used to AWN's set up and I prefer the conservative type of the panel. :)