PDA

View Full Version : Worth a look

betrunkenaffe
January 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
For anyone that watches movies/videos/tv shows off computer.

http://xbmc.org/

Psumi
January 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Old!

And why would I be using something called Xbox Media Center Anyway.

Techsnap
January 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks, this looks interestering. Also please don't just post Old! you could have at least provided a link to where it was discussed before I never knew about this until now and it looks like a good program

Psumi
January 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks, this looks interestering. Also please don't just post Old! you could have at least provided a link to where it was discussed before I never knew about this until now and it looks like a good service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbmc

I meant I have seen it plenty of times before. Also see my edited reply, I'd rather not use something that was named Xbox Media center.

eragon100
January 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbmc

I meant I have seen it plenty of times before. Also see my edited reply, I'd rather not use something that was named Xbox Media center.

It's named that way because it was originally programmed for the Xbox, not because Microsoft was in any way involved in its development. The developers decided to create windows/linux/macOSX versions as well.
It is also fully open source, so quite frankly, I don't see how even Richard Stallman himself could have any problems with this application :D

NoaHall
January 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Old!

This.
I don't like media centers, a bit pointless.

Techsnap
January 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't like media centers, a bit pointless.

So because you don't like media centres automatically you thought you'd let everyone in the thread know.

NoaHall
January 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
So because you don't like media centres automatically you thought you'd let everyone in the thread know.

It's my freedom of speech. If you don't like it, stick to Windows.

koleoptero
January 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Wow so much negativity :P

I've tried it in the past and had some performance problems with it. Haven't tried it again though (don't really need it with a laptop). If I had a pc hooked up with a TV I'd definitely give it a shot again. It looks far more usable than moovida.

Techsnap
January 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
It's my freedom of speech. If you don't like it, stick to Windows.

LOL, Don't like freedom of speech switch to Windows. Software != Real Life.

NoaHall
January 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
LOL, Don't like freedom of speech switch to Windows. Software != Real Life.

Microsoft = Monopoly which would like everyone else to go away and poisons the minds of people working in places in Best Buy to fight free speech

GNU/Linux = Promoted and used by people with open ideals. This includes free speech.

koleoptero
January 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
This thread needs pwnst*r as well.

Techsnap
January 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Well next time some disagrees with me for example that I prefer Toyotas to Fords I'll tell them it's my freedom of speech and that they should switch to Windows.

Anyway back on topic, I'm going to give this a try because it looks to be a good piece of software, the other Media Centres on Linux haven't really worked too great when I've tried them.

Elfy
January 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This thread needs to calm down.

betrunkenaffe
January 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
This thread needs to calm down.

Indeed.

So I did run into a couple issues running video plugins, 2 that worked last night don't work this morning but when I uninstall and reinstall them, they work. We'll see if they continue to be annoying. It's not a problem with the program, looks to be the plugins themselves :(

Rather than linking outside wikis..

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=What_is_XBMC_%26_What_Can_it_Do%3F

It also looks like it would serve up content to a ps3 but I can't test that since I don't have one (although would be interested in getting one :P)

markinf
January 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Old!

Old but gold :D.
I have used this software on my old Xbox 1 ;)