PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] fatal server error no screens found ubuntu 9.10

January 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Here again. I've installed 9.10 on a work station with success. I've got an nvidia quadro fx 3000 and its supported under nvidia legacy driver apparently. So I've tried to install the driver with no success. Xorg.0.log reports a fatal server error no screens found. I get a flashing console login when I boot with "nvidia" device driver in xorg.conf, it boots fine with "nv". No matter what I try I cant get it to boot with nvidia drivers. Also, on a side note, after initially installing nvidia driver thru hardware in gnome, I no longer have a grub loader option to select recovery or anything else. Upon boot it displays "grub" briefly then continues to boot to gui. I've set the delay to 20 seconds with no results. Any help on the graphics problem would be hugely appreciated. I can live with the grub problem, or I may try re-installing grub after I solve this graphics issue.

EDIT
Resolved the issue of the display, now on to the grub menu.

kingdogbert
January 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM
How did you solve your problem? I'm dealing with the same thing and can't make any progress (<a href="http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1386175">my thread here</a>). Thank you

January 21st, 2010, 04:20 AM
its really quite embarrassing and probably not going to help you much but I neglected to plug the power supply into the video card itself. Past issues with an Nvidia 8600GT OC were solved by editing /etc/xorg.conf file and changing the driver to nvidia. I think it was nv instead of nvidia but that was a while ago. Sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck

kingdogbert
January 21st, 2010, 04:46 AM
Hehe, only a little embarrassing, but I understand why you didn't post that solution earlier :)

Anyways, I've already tried changing the "driver" line to no effect, so that won't help. Thanks anyways for the quick response.