PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Best Distro for Semi-Professional Music Production?

linux4everz
January 9th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I own a small recording studio with multiple PCs... I'm looking to convert them to linux and wanted to know if Ubuntu Studio is what I need? Or is there something better?

thorgal
January 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
depends on your commitment level.
Ubuntu Studio is a nice effort but it is by no means a guaranty of success. There are plenty of different factors to take into account:
- h/w support
- OS tuning
- apps interoperability (jack)
- your degree of comfort with everything linux
- your production model, workflow, etc (including frequent dialog with the community, developers and users, etc)
- your willingness to focus on the "right things" when things don't go as smooth as you would wish.

The most difficult in my opinion, is to find yourself a routine during the process of tuning the h/w, OS and apps. It comes by increment until you find yourself comfortable with this envrionment.

linux4everz
January 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sounds like I might just be better off staying on a windows machine?

thorgal
January 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
same would go for windows in my case (never used it for audio prod). If you are new to linux, there's a learning curve you cannot avoid. It's a matter of patience as always :)

linux4everz
January 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Okay I suppose the real question is...

If you are used to both and both are optimized for audio production.

Which OS - Windows or Ubuntu Studio would perform/Record better?

snowpine
January 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
You can install a "dual boot" of Windows and Ubuntu. This would allow you to choose between them each time you turn on the computer. It would allow you to learn Linux while still being able to fall back on Windows when necessary.

I personally find Linux superior (more stable, less glitchy, not reliant on proprietary formats, etc) for my limited multimedia needs. There's certainly a learning curve however.

linux4everz
January 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Well.. Can Ubuntu Studio do Semi-Professional Music Recording in a small studio? As well or better than Windows?

thorgal
January 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
OK, I can only speak for myself but regardless whether it performs better or worse than windows, I can definitely record and produce music with my linux based studio at home, at a very high quality (to my taste). I am into rock / post-rock music, playing real instruments (I mean by that: acoustic / el-guitar, bass-guitar, piano, all sorts of percussion stuff, voice, etc) and my linux based setup is up to the task, including sequencing realistic drumming (OK, here I use a windows VSTi that is nicely wrapped with the DSSI-VST wrapper that transforms it into a standalone jack client that rosegarden can sequence and sync' with ardour). Anyway, yes, you can definitely set up a pro / semi-pro studio with linux. The linux capability is not what is usually lacking if you compare with other OSes. I would say linux is probably on par, not to say superior when it comes to capability. The ergonomy is just different and you have to get used to it if you are used to another environment.

Look at my screeshot :)

Blackmag+c
January 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
how did you get addictive drums to work?

is it WINEable?

(sorry for the thread hijack)

thorgal
January 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
go there:

http://www.xlnaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4940#4940

It tells a little bit of my story with this VSTi. I can only recommend it, it works so amazingly well that I always forget it is a windows binary. I of course upgraded wine since my 1st message in the AD forum (running 1.1.32 right now I think)

I also got a few ADPacks (jazz, funk, etc) : cannot beat them!

cascade9
January 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm no expert on this, but I would try dyne:bolic/puredyne as well as ubuntu studio-

http://puredyne.goto10.org/

http://dynebolic.org/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=dynebolic

Blackmag+c
January 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
lengendary.

thanks

(to the drums guy)

linux4everz
January 9th, 2010, 10:31 PM
how did you get addictive drums to work?

is it WINEable?

(sorry for the thread hijack)

Its fine, I was actually interested in that as well.

sgx
January 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Its fine, I was actually interested in that as well.Most vsts that have no dongle, no pace, and no ilok, will work in reaper, cantabile or energyXT (windows version), if wine, wineasio, jackd, and qjackctl are properly set up. The distro is unimportant, most are fine once they have the linux apps I mention installed. Addictive Drums, EZDrummer, Drumcore, and others, are known to work.
Cheers
PS Hydrogen linux drum machine can play .wav files for 32 sound kits, and seems to me to be better suited than those others for creating new unique patterns and groups of patterns to make drumtracks for a song, there is a kit-making tutorial posted here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347693

Addictive Drums has 5 youtube videos covering its nice features with the many midi files that come with it.