PDA

View Full Version : So I've finished watching some anime you guys recommended...

diablo75
January 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I started another thread (probably about a month ago) asking for advice on what Anime series I should look into. So far I've only watched Elfen Lied and Ergo Proxy all the way through and I liked both of them, to a point. I'd like to give my short and dry two cents about what I did and didn't like about these two shows in hopes that this feedback will help get me further recomendations that may turn out to be even more to my liking than these two shows I've finished.

Elfen Lied: I watched this one first because I wanted to see some serious Anime violence, and this show delivered! I liked the dark story line. I didn't like the main characters or the kinds of "jokes" (like the dumb secretary that's always triping on her own toes throwing whatever she's carrying to the ground and saying, "I did it again!"... It was almost like that character was invented for the sole purpose of making the audience want to see her get killed because she was so annoying). All-in-all, this was a good show in my opinion, though some would say the violence and nudity border on going too far.

Ergo Proxy: I was hooked within the first 30 seconds.... which led to me holding very high expectations for the rest of the series. I loved the art, animation, the production, the characters, the setting, the mystery. Real is one hot babe, and I was sad to never see her and Vincent fall in love with each other at some point and make out or something. Vincent was a real wimp, to the point where you just wanted to slap him through the TV most of the time. Pino was cute and funny; probably the most interesting character actually. I said my expectations were high from the start but it seemed to drop into mild interest after the 10th episode or so.

I HATED the fact that some episodes would pick up somewhere long after the last episode left off. That "Nightmare Gameshow" episode was probably the biggest waste of 22 minutes of my life; it was completely out of context. You didn't know how they got there, you didn't see how they left at the beginning of the next episode. There had to be at least 3 or 4 of these "it was probably a dream" episodes that the writters just farted out because they had a contract stretching their original story out beyond the number of episodes it was intended for; that's what it felt like. Overall, I thought this one was just a tad bit better than Elfen Lied, but mostly because the acting and the production quality was better.

Between them both, I'd say what I liked the most was a feeling that you were in the future and there was a dash of George Orwell's 1984 here and there (a totalitarian government or agency pulling the strings in secret).

I have a few other shows that I've not had much of a chance to watch yet. I took a look at Cowboy Bebob for about 10 minutes and stopped watching it because it just seemed too.... campy. I snuck a peak at Deathnote and from the 30 seconds I watching, I gather it's about a kid who discovers any name he writes down on a piece of paper will kill that person. Sounds like a dumb plot but I'm smart enough to realize the wide variety of situations a person could be in if they had the power to kill someone with a few strokes of a pencil of paper (come into moral dilemas about whether or not you actually should kill someone and so on; pretty interesting setup... I look foward to watching it in full).

So that's sort of the flavor of things I liked and didn't like. Anyone think they could recommend some other good ones for me that I haven't seen yet, based upon how I reviewed these two above?

semitone36
January 9th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Yu Yu Hakusho is a great oldie, but only if you dont take it seriously. I recommend watching it with a friend and just make fun of it as you watch.

But seriously it was good.

Danny Dubya
January 9th, 2010, 06:02 AM
(come into moral dilemas about whether or not you actually should kill someone and so on; pretty interesting setup... I look foward to watching it in full).
That's one interesting aspect of Death Note, but not the best, which is the effort that kid has to put into avoiding getting caught by the police, even though there was no evidence pointing to him in the beginning of the show...

sudoer541
February 8th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I recommend family guy!!!!!!!!!!!!
its the best in the west!!!!!!!
but seriously family guys is lol!!!
give
it
a
try!

RiceMonster
February 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I recommend family guy!!!!!!!!!!!!
its the best in the west!!!!!!!
but seriously family guys is lol!!!
give
it
a
try!

ummm... anime?

LightB
February 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I don't like it anymore. 99 out of 100 is little kids walking around doing stuff. It was cool in the 80s to mid 90s.

sudoer541
February 8th, 2010, 04:54 AM
ummm... anime?

well, family guy is still animation in 2D so ya!!!:p
plus its lol!!!

LightB
February 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM
New family guys are played out. Out of material.

sisco311
February 8th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I snuck a peak at Deathnote and from the 30 seconds I watching, I gather it's about a kid who discovers any name he writes down on a piece of paper will kill that person. Sounds like a dumb plot but I'm smart enough to realize the wide variety of situations a person could be in if they had the power to kill someone with a few strokes of a pencil of paper (come into moral dilemas about whether or not you actually should kill someone and so on; pretty interesting setup... I look foward to watching it in full).

That piece of paper is not the plot, it's the starting axiom, it's one of the aspects of the world where the story takes place.

The characters are evolving, that kid becomes some kind of Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes) at the and of the story & L has to sacrifices his life to... :)

...bah, I hope you will enjoy it. ;)

PS: I don't know why (I'm not a 10-18 year old girl), but I like Nana & Gravitation.

Jestersage
February 8th, 2010, 06:41 AM
There are three Anime that one should watch:
Sayonara zetsubou Sensei, FLCL, and Seto no Hanayome
(aka Dark Crack, Crack on Crack, and Fishy Crack)

gsmanners
February 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
You haven't really seen serious anime unless you've watched the Ghibli masterpieces and of course anything made by Gainax. I also really like stuff made by Madhouse, Kyoto Animation, and Shaft. Of course, it all depends on your taste.

I'll just leave this here: http://anidb.net/up275621

Grenage
February 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm not a Ghibli fan, but they are very highly rated. I'd recommend having a look at:

FLCL
Seto no Hanayome
Full Metal Panic
Familiar of Zero/Zero no Tsukaima
Gantz
Berserk
Black Lagoon
Chrome Shelled Regios
Welcome to the NHK
Burst Angel/bakuretsu tenshi
Fate Stay Night
Blood+
Noir
Ninja Scroll
Samurai Champloo
Tokko

There are so many, and you're best off just trying as many as you can.

blithen
February 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I watched the first few episode of Elfen Lied.
All I have to say is holy balls. That's one bloody anime. >_>
Edit: Gorey.